Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 03:48 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,417,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
There must be a balance of trade for any country to survive, long term. The value of the dollar is based on it , as is out debt to other Nations when we import everything , and send nothing back except empty containers.

Port of Shenzhen in China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 03:51 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,285,342 times
Quote:
There must be a balance of trade for any country to survive, long term. The value of the dollar is based on it , as is out debt to other Nations when we import everything , and send nothing back except empty containers.
Hi wages and manufacturing exports are compatible, we see Germany doing quite a good job of it.
The United States needs to begin to look out after its own interests and stop letting corporate vultures off shore jobs while at the same time exploiting the American marketplace.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:07 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,193,585 times
Here is some info from 2005, not sure how much have changed but it shows the average wages of German manufacturing sector slightly lower than the United States.

Manufacturing Sector Average Salary Income - International Comparison

Ireland = wow.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:19 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Hi wages and manufacturing exports are compatible, we see Germany doing quite a good job of it.
The United States needs to begin to look out after its own interests and stop letting corporate vultures off shore jobs while at the same time exploiting the American marketplace.
So true. Unfunded wars also contribute to that unbalance. During WWII it was all for the " war effort" . MFG lead the way, winning the war. Today , we not only outsource everything in the industrial sector , but offshore the machinery to fight the wars as well.... if we are to keep fighting wars around the globe , we need to make them pay there own way., and at the very lest , have the funds , inhouse , to pay for it. What ever happened to the War tax, war bonds, savings and rationing restraints.?...wars do supply jobs for our unfortunate young folks, but , at what cost?.... Then when they come home , there are no jobs ether. WE are a sick Country and have all our piorities upside down.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Here is some info from 2005, not sure how much have changed but it shows the average wages of German manufacturing sector slightly lower than the United States.

Manufacturing Sector Average Salary Income - International Comparison

Ireland = wow.
Take a look at Canada. Workers enjoy higher wages, more folks own their own homes , and they live longer..... and , Canada is the US largest trading pardner....China is closing fast !. The future remains with those Countries that have a strong currency, vast mineral wealth, and a willing workforce.
Canada, Brazil, Chilie, and Australia come to mind. Germany invests in their people, aprentaceships, Corporate responsiability , and rewards for working smart,with lots of vacation time, healthcare , and a respect for the wage earners that make the Country what it is.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:44 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,417,602 times
Quote:
Take a look at Canada. Workers enjoy higher wages, more folks own their own homes , and they live longer.....
Uh, I don't know what you're looking at, but that chart in the link clearly showed that Canadians earn lower manufacturing wages than the US. Also the average price of a home in Canada is double that of the US. Furthermore, Canadian homes have a far lower share of Single Family Homes than American homes; most Canadian homes are duplexes or condos. If you think that's a good deal, you're free to emigrate to Canada. A nation of immigrants shouldn't be afraid to emigrate.

BTW, Canadians live longer maybe because they're not as obese as Americans, and not because their health care system is better.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Uh, I don't know what you're looking at, but that chart in the link clearly showed that Canadians earn lower manufacturing wages than the US. Also the average price of a home in Canada is double that of the US. Furthermore, Canadian homes have a far lower share of Single Family Homes than American homes; most Canadian homes are duplexes or condos. If you think that's a good deal, you're free to emigrate to Canada. A nation of immigrants shouldn't be afraid to emigrate.

BTW, Canadians live longer maybe because they're not as obese as Americans, and not because their health care system is better.
I did not mean to get your feathers fluffed, but , I can see you are taking the Right Wing aproach ....when It comes to Canada. Why do you folks hate Canada so much anyway?
That said , I was talking about income in general, not just a breakout segment. I have a lot of Canadian friends, the range goes from teachers to truck drivers , and , they DO make more than their counterparts in the US., considering all thats included, like healthcare... Homes are homes, Condos , the last time I looked were considered such.
I base my thoughts on personal observation, I have traveled all over North America, many times,...and yes , if I was younger I would consider moving North. That time is long past, Canada is not interested in anyone over 45, unless you bring a lot of cash to the table.... I will let others check to numbers , I am sure you can find all sorts of reasons to bash Canada, but , bottom line , they have a more stable system working these days than here in the US....sorry.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:11 AM

Woah easy there I wasn't bashing Canada. I know very little about Canada and have no interest in it since I'm a warm weather type, so I'm certainly not going to bash it. Shields down Scotty.

That said I did check for computer programmers and engineers they make waaay less money in Canada.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:29 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,541,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Woah easy there I wasn't bashing Canada. I know very little about Canada and have no interest in it since I'm a warm weather type, so I'm certainly not going to bash it. Shields down Scotty.

That said I did check for computer programmers and engineers they make waaay less money in Canada.

English to English translation?

Darstar was talking to Guineas saying "If you think that's a good deal, you're free to emigrate to Canada. A nation of immigrants shouldn't be afraid to emigrate."

Not everything is about or at you.

Besides bashing you is my job. (joking)

Real deal on Canada is that it tends to be more egalitarian than US. The peak earnings are lower so when comparing averages, it brings the bottom up. It takes making a LOT of people poor to create a billionaire.

==================

Back towards your topic -- Mercantilism was (is) practiced because IT WORKS. The New World Odor of Globalony Free Trade / Open Borders nonsense was/is to generate cash-flow through the banks and transnationals. Did you ever actually read NAFTA? See who gets the "special" rules?

At any rate, the US will be flat-ass broke within the next decade and this will have passed.

Died of a Theory.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:41 AM

He said "Why do you folks hate Canada so much anyway?" so I assumed he was addressing more than Guineas. Canada invented Steve Nash, so I guess I'm okay with 'em. Plus they have that one bacon that looks like ham, and good weed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics