U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 06:18 AM

3,647 posts, read 9,309,275 times

Advertisements

This morning I received an 'urgent' email from AT&T that my bill is due on Oct 27th and that if it is not paid on time, my account will be disconnected.

I typically pay the day I receive the bill electronically, but somehow missed this one this month. But to send me a WARNING and THREAT 5 days ahead of the due date?

The SECOND I have an option other than AT&T out here, I'll be switching. The SECOND someone else opens up services out here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 07:25 AM

6,233 posts, read 18,128,267 times
It's your responsibility to remember to pay your bill. Most utilities send these notices out when you don't pay your bill and the next bill comes out. Ignore it, and you will be disconnected. Swallow your pride and lose the attitude then get that bill paid.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:32 AM

24,511 posts, read 34,130,468 times
That does seem aggressive on their part. I pay my Sprint bill every 2 months and they don't bother me at all.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:35 AM

They sent this WARNING 5 days BEFORE the due date? What the heck? Swallow my pride? What are you saying? The next bill won't come out BEFORE this one is due NEXT WEEK.

I've always paid my bills on time, rarely late - maybe once or twice on one or two bills in the past 20 years. So, it surprised me to get a warning about disconnection BEFORE the bill is even due.

BTW - it wouldn't have been late, despite the fact that I forgot, as my bill paying service would've sent me a reminder 1 day before it was due (the amount of time it needs to send payment electronically, as per their agreement with AT&T)

Last edited by sskkc; 10-22-2010 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: added

Old 10-22-2010, 07:51 AM

6,039 posts, read 9,212,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
This morning I received an 'urgent' email from AT&T that my bill is due on Oct 27th and that if it is not paid on time, my account will be disconnected.

I typically pay the day I receive the bill electronically, but somehow missed this one this month. But to send me a WARNING and THREAT 5 days ahead of the due date?

The SECOND I have an option other than AT&T out here, I'll be switching. The SECOND someone else opens up services out here.
Actually if that ever happened to me, I'd be relieved they gave me a heads up far enough in advance of the disconnect date to get it paid.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:55 AM

24,511 posts, read 34,130,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Actually if that ever happened to me, I'd be relieved they gave me a heads up far enough in advance of the disconnect date to get it paid.
It's more about how agressive they sound with the threat to disconnect. It's insulting in terms of business to send a threat like that to someone who always pays on time and isn't even late yet.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:59 AM

6,039 posts, read 9,212,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's more about how agressive they sound with the threat to disconnect. It's insulting in terms of business to send a threat like that to someone who always pays on time and isn't even late yet.
I think there may be more to it than just what the OP says. I have AT&T and they don't do that with me. So it's either some sort of weird mistake, or the OP did miss the last payment, and with the second one coming up, that's the disconnect deadline. The OP may not have deliberately missed a payment, but it's possible something happened to his or her transaction and they should really check to make sure last month's bill was credited.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:17 AM

Dear Valued Customer,

As of Friday October 22 at 2 AM, this account had a balance due. If you have recently made a payment, it may not be included below.

Bill Amount Payment $78.35
Due Date Account October 27, 2010
Balance $78.35

If your services have been or are scheduled to be disconnected for non-payment, please contact us today.

Nope, there's nothing more to the story.

Looking at the email, there is a box at the end, "encouraging" me to sign up for automatic payments to be deducted from my account... which I would NEVER do. My aunt did that once. Her utility company accidentally billed her $11,000 dollars. It took 3 months to straighten out, longer to repair the damage to her credit. Initially, the utility company wouldn't refund the money (that took a court order) but instead let her know that she had a "credit" somewhere in the neighborhood of $10, 875 dollars. (The clerk processing payments accidentally added two zeros at the end of the billed amount.)

Old 10-22-2010, 08:23 AM

6,233 posts, read 18,128,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
I think there may be more to it than just what the OP says. I have AT&T and they don't do that with me. So it's either some sort of weird mistake, or the OP did miss the last payment, and with the second one coming up, that's the disconnect deadline. The OP may not have deliberately missed a payment, but it's possible something happened to his or her transaction and they should really check to make sure last month's bill was credited.
I agree...disconnects aren't issued lightly at any utility but if you don't pay they are not going to continue service for free. Once they issue a bill with a past due amount on it you have under 10 days to take care of it.

OP are you sure its not spam? Ya, it may say from att.com but is it really? Go to your account online and check. If you ignore it and it is real you will lose service.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:33 AM

It's the same billed amount that is coming through on my bill paying service. I'm not about to click on it though to verify who it's from.

Like I said, my bill paying service would've sent a reminder to my phone on the 26th if I hadn't paid already. I'm not about to lose service. I just really don't like AT&T. But it was them or dial-up internet. Plus, we need a landline here (vs VOIP) because our fax won't communicate properly with our biggest client over VOIP.

When we moved here, AT&T screwed up and we ended up losing our business phone number, installation was 3 days late (both of the guys who showed up to install came WITHOUT the equipment we ordered, finally purchased it separately and had it here when guy number 3 showed up), we STILL don't have v-mail (been 5 months, they still haven't been able to get it fixed) and our internet "blanks out" 1-2 times per day for 30 seconds at a time - just long enough to lose emails (I always write longer ones in Word first, then save before trying to send) or have to redo a posting on CD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or