Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 09:09 AM

4,246 posts, read 12,021,657 times

Advertisements

Wife and I found it odd about the lady picking threw trash for plastic and glass. In 2 yrs she's only had 4 interviews. Guess what, the country is pretty big look elsewhere. I have no sympathy for most of those people that refuse to put 100% effort into getting a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 10:00 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,103,214 times
This thread became too long very quickly and I didn't want to sit and read all of it. If someone has already pointed this out then I apologize. The people in this video are 50 something people that have made a lot of money for a very long time. Their house should be paid off and they should have a cushion to fall back to prepare for this possibility. And you may have to take a job you do not want for a while. The first women they showed that is imposing on friends for six months explains to us what the lowest possible job position is "for her". When I personally know people that are raking peoples leaves and cleaning houses to keep a roof over their families head this pisses me off. This woman clearly has an entitlement problem. Her friends should toss her butt out because she only willing to take a job she wants. In hard times you just can't do that.

And the guy that got $470 a week in unemployment and considered it nothing. I know a good number of working people with families that don't make this much. At least he is trying to do something to earn a living, but I can't get over how spoiled he is.

And I think the woman that lost her house after 28 years used it as an ATM machine instead of paying it off. Her choice.

All of these people are better educated than me and have made a hell of a lot more. It doesn't make sense to me that my tax dollars are supporting them, and they are asking for more. I have never taken unemployment.

I bet that if I had jobs to give and stood outside their meeting with a sign that said, " Need workers and will pay $25 to $30 bucks an hour most of them would walk right by me.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:36 AM

4,246 posts, read 12,021,657 times
^your post is to long so I won't read it.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
^your post is to long so I won't read it.
Too bad for you. I have been told it is a very good post.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:45 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
And I think the woman that lost her house after 28 years used it as an ATM machine instead of paying it off. Her choice.
Ironically, I read an article about a lady in FL that bought a house for 150k and kept sucking the equity out with refi's when her credit card bills got too big. 15 years later the market dipped so she could no longer refi and her mortage was something like 300-350k. She was foreclosed on since her debts overwhelmed her.

This happened A LOT.

Heck, I did this myself when I moved 10 years ago. Bought a house for 150, sold it for 200 but had paid it down to 100. Took 1/2 the equity for next downpayment and used the rest for a car, home furnishing and a nice safety fund and only refinanced again for a lower rate and to cut my mortgage to 15 year fixed down from 30.

I will own my house in less than 3 years.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Ironically, I read an article about a lady in FL that bought a house for 150k and kept sucking the equity out with refi's when her credit card bills got too big. 15 years later the market dipped so she could no longer refi and her mortage was something like 300-350k. She was foreclosed on since her debts overwhelmed her.

This happened A LOT.

Heck, I did this myself when I moved 10 years ago. Bought a house for 150, sold it for 200 but had paid it down to 100. Took 1/2 the equity for next downpayment and used the rest for a car, home furnishing and a nice safety fund and only refinanced again for a lower rate and to cut my mortgage to 15 year fixed down from 30.

I will own my house in less than 3 years.
I agree that isn't always bad to use the equity in your house, but there is an obvious difference between what you did and the overspending credit card situation you described first.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:13 PM

1,296 posts, read 2,225,047 times
Here we go again with another thread, where the long-term unemployed are blamed for their plight. I'd be a gagillionaire, if I had a dime for every post I see, where the long-term unemployed, are blamed for their situation!

You can work your behind off, save money, be well-educated, diligent, etc., and STILL experience age discrimination, in the workplace. You can't force employers, to hire older people, if they choose not to. And in this economy, employers can pick and choose, who they hire.

As for starting a business, that's not a possibility, for everyone who's out of work. Starting a business takes money, and many people don't even have an extra $100, to start a business, if they're trying to survive. And some are even unable, to borrow start-up capital.

Besides, hard work alone, doesn't guarantee that your job-hunt, or new business venture, will be a success. Plain old LUCK, plays a part in how successful someone is-meaning being in the right place at the right time, being able to recover from any set-backs, etc.

If there were enough real jobs, that paid liveable wages (more than minimum wage), then there wouldn't be any need, to keep extending UI. So you can't blame the long-term unemployed, for the state of our economy. And if employers were less choosy about hiring, then there wouldn't be so much age discrimination.

Last edited by artwomyn; 10-27-2010 at 03:25 PM..

Old 10-27-2010, 03:20 PM

25,578 posts, read 56,455,902 times
I still think, in some cases, not all, it's the California mentality.
Earning far more than you deserve, great weather, life is good.

California's unemployment benefit with FAC is $495 week and they will pay that until December 11, when it drops to $470 week. That is $2,144 take home and is NOT chicken feed. After deductions and maxing out 401K, that is what I took home when I worked.

But when you've consistently been earning 6 figures - $150-$175K - and don't have a working spouse, that probably doesn't cover the mortgage, much less anything else.

It is to a degree a sense of entitlement because of the environment - weather and a nothing can go wrong mentality.

I agree, by age 60, if one has been earning a lot of money for a lot of years, loss of job shouldn't put you over the edge to the point of foreclosure.

However, what we saw in CA is not representative of many of the unemployed in other areas. To judge ALL unemployed by those in CA is unfair. There are many, many who've not had the benefit of inflated salaries and always lived frugally who are in very dire straits. Many are in states where the max benefit is $273/week, not the $500/CA, $600/NJ and $650/Boston figures.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:54 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,219,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post

I am anti left, because leftist philosophy is what destroys families, work ethic, hard work, smart work and being a good citizen. It champions mediocrity over success. It champions entitlement over earning or creating.
I've voted in every election, local and national, since I was 18. I've worked very hard at jobs that actually contribute something to society, and not necessarily just a profit for myself, since I was 18. I raised a beautiful family. I've held elected office. I do volunteer work. I'm considered one of the best in my field because I work smart.
I'm also a Liberal and getting more so as I get older. Any other immature generalities you want to throw out there?

Old 10-27-2010, 06:00 PM

106,560 posts, read 108,713,667 times
i tend to think everyone who is arguing the plight of the un-employed is arguing out of context of the show and hasnt watched it to see what we are talking about
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics