Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 07:04 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,506,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacalaitWhisperer View Post
Before Obama won the White House due to VOTERS BEING DISGUSTED with Republicans, here is what occured... according to Forbes Magazine:
Got a link?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 12:23 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,011,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i have to think about that ..normally inflation makes debts smaller in dollar terms but in our case we arent really paying down the debt just carrying it at higher and higher interest rates as interest rates rise ...
So long as the economy is depressed interest rates will stay low, when the economy improves then the government can start to pay down the deficit.

Also, inflating will make US products more competitive globally which will increase domestic employment.

Anyhow, in a normally functioning economy inflating would cause problems, but we are not in a normally functioning economy. We are in a depressed economy where the FED is out the zero bound and other countries are manipulating their currencies in the global economy. General conclusions that ignore the underlying economic conditions are useless. But its not surprising to see people against inflating, inflating would have clear winners and losers. The winners would be the American public, US manufacturing, etc...the losers would be foreign nations (e.g., China), banks, etc.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:21 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,163,774 times
There is indeed a range that is considered "healthy" inflation.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:46 PM

7,485 posts, read 10,443,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Not to mention inflation would make the debt burden less....
And this is exactly what "QE2" is designed to do -- nothing else.

There is NO inflation that is "healthy". That is a myth. Every dollar printed out of thin air reduces our purchasing power!

Old 10-27-2010, 01:55 PM

1,065 posts, read 2,253,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
Got a link?
I don't think he does. I recall reading something like that a while back in an opinion piece. Its one of those that tells about half the truth and leaves out what does not support their theory.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:37 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,163,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
There is NO inflation that is "healthy". That is a myth. Every dollar printed out of thin air reduces our purchasing power!
Sure, if you live in a fantasyland where the cost of goods/services never goes up.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:47 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,620,912 times
"SacalaitWhisper said..........

"Clinton inherited a $290 billion deficit from George H.W. Bush. He reversed Bush's and Reagan's trickle down economic policies, raising taxes on the wealthy, and reducing them on the working and middle classes. He was able to reduce the deficit every single year of his presidency. By 1997, the government was running budgetary surpluses, the first since 1969. He delivered a $230 billion surplus in 2000.

Bush reversed Clinton's policies, lowering taxes on the very wealthy - his "base" as he called them - and effectively raising them on everyone else. In his first full year at the helm of the economy, he delivered a $157 billion deficit, and he never looked back. By 2004, the deficits were topping $400 billion a year. While Clinton delivered surpluses, Bush's deficits totaled some $3.7 trillion over his eight-year term. Clinton 6: Bush 0.

There is no subtlety, no ambiguity about the data or the economic performance they reveal. By every single measure, Bush's policies and tenure were worse - much worse - for the American economy and the American people than those pursued by Bill Clinton. And we are still living today in the aftermath of the destruction they have wrought.

We could add any number of other measures as well, measures not offered up by Forbes but which are still straightforward indices of economic performance. Clinton reduced poverty, from 15.1% when he took office to 11.3% when he left. Bush increased it, from 11.3% when he started to 12.5% at the end of 2008.

The stock market more than tripled under Clinton's tenure. The Dow went from 3,241 when he took office to 10,587 on the day he left. It actually declined under Bush's tenure, from 10,587 on the day he took office to 8,281 on the day he left. Between the recent stock market collapse and the housing crash, Bush destroyed more than $14 trillion in consumer wealth, a staggering, almost incomprehensible legacy of devastation that will haunt Americans for decades to come.

Bush voters owe 14 trillion. Pay up.

We'll call it a Personal Responsibility Shrub Was Stupid Tax"

A most excellent concise statement of factual history I've ever seen!!

This kind of truth is something that the neo-cons, the rich, the corrupt, the Tea Party, et. al. DO NOT want the people to know ,and dwell upon, so they can continue unabated their nefarious work to undermine the basic liberties of the American people.

Well said!

Old 10-27-2010, 02:50 PM

7,022 posts, read 14,424,224 times
Before the government comes to my door demanding my share of payment for the national debt, I'm planning to move to Switzerland

Old 10-27-2010, 02:58 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,620,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Before the government comes to my door demanding my share of payment for the national debt, I'm planning to move to Switzerland
Before you hike yourself off to Switzerland remember that the Swiss take their citizenship responsability very seriously. Unlike you plan to do by bailing out on America.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:10 PM

7,022 posts, read 14,424,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Before you hike yourself off to Switzerland remember that the Swiss take their citizenship responsability very seriously. Unlike you plan to do by bailing out on America.
I'm only 2 payments away from paying off student loans.. and I never carry over a balance on my credit cards. So next year, I'll be living debt free.

There's no reason why I should be responsible for anyone else's debt especially when I'm responsible enough to not have bad debt.

Quote:
"Everything is getting more expensive, I'm hardly earning any money, and then I'm supposed to pay more taxes to help save the country? How is that supposed to work?" asks Nikos Meletis, the shipbuilder. His friends, gathered in a small cafeteria on the pier in Perama, are gradually growing more vocal. They are all unemployed, desperate and angry at the politicians who got them into this mess. There is no sympathy here for any of the political parties and no longer any for the unions either.

"They only organize strikes to serve their own interests!" shouts one man, whose name is Panayiotis Peretridis. "The only thing that interests me anymore is my daily wage. A loaf of bread is my political party. I want to help my country -- give me work and I'll pay taxes! But our honor as first-class skilled workers, as heads of families, as Greeks, is being dragged through the dirt!"

"If you take away my family's bread, I'll take you down -- the government needs to know that," Meletis says. "And don't call us anarchists if that happens! We're heads of our families and we're desperate."
At least the Greeks have it right..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics