Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 02:57 PM

200 posts, read 287,496 times

Advertisements

Thought it would be interesting to take a look back at posts in the BF&I forum to see what the hot topics were in play prior to the U.S.'s current economic struggles. This was a post from 12/27/2007......kinda scary and prophetic at the same time. Post housing bubble fiasco, but pre stock market crash of Oct. 2008. This question was posted by questioner2:

Quote:

In a World Economy is an America Middle Class even possible?
I am starting to believe increasing globalization will cause American Middle Class to go away. I suspect that most middle class jobs will slowly be outsourced in the next 20 years. Most of our factories will close as work is shipped to China and other low wage locations. The only jobs left outside of medical, will be retail, construction, and low wage services jobs, everything else will be outsourced. Even medical work will be cut as we are forced to limit services as costs spiral out of control.

As government is forced to shrink due to raising deficits, rapidly dropping home valuations, huge budget problems, and lack of credit availability. I suspect that few middle class Americans will exist in twenty years. Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 03:07 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
"The following are 25 signs that almost everyone in the financial world is expecting an economic downturn during the second half of 2010...."

25 Signs That Almost Everyone Is Expecting An Economic Collapse In 2010

"Now is a great time to get out of debt, to reduce expenses, to develop additional streams of income and to start storing up food and supplies for when things really fall apart."
Second half of 2010 almost up.... okay to eat the food we stored up yet?

Old 12-08-2010, 03:22 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Isn't it wonderful how a website calling itself "theeconomiccollapseblog.com" can post a blog entitled "Almost Everyone is expecting an Economic Collapse", and is still taken as serious scholarship by some people.

Does anybody know what a red flag looks like?

Old 12-09-2010, 03:29 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,732,475 times
Some infamous posters on this board advanced the idea we would be in the midst of "food riots" by now. I haven't even seen a "food fight" since Animal House came out!

BTW, globalization and outsourcing were well under way by 2000, IIRC.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Is this what's waiting for all of us?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpGDKeg76S8
To answer Tightwad's question, no ripping up lawns to grow your own food wasn't waiting for us in 2010.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:15 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Second half of 2010 almost up.... okay to eat the food we stored up yet?
Sure is! Just remember.....you can't use (eat) what you don't have so keep an eye to the future to prepare.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:26 PM

When I was a kid, my Mechanix Illustrated magazine promised me that by 1980, all cars would automatically be driving themselves, levitating above the magnetic highway. There was even an artist's conception of the car, with mom and dad watching black and white TV and playing games with the kids, while the car sped along through futuristic city-scapes under a sky aswarm with private jet helicopters. Dad wearing a hat and a necktie and smoking a pipe, and the blonde Aryan kids in knickers.

Well, 1980 came and went with the K-car still intact, and I lost faith in the prognosticators.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-09-2010 at 01:37 PM..

Old 12-09-2010, 03:59 PM

200 posts, read 287,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
When I was a kid, my Mechanix Illustrated magazine promised me that by 1980, all cars would automatically be driving themselves, levitating above the magnetic highway. There was even an artist's conception of the car, with mom and dad watching black and white TV and playing games with the kids, while the car sped along through futuristic city-scapes under a sky aswarm with private jet helicopters. Dad wearing a hat and a necktie and smoking a pipe, and the blonde Aryan kids in knickers.

Well, 1980 came and went with the K-car still intact, and I lost faith in the prognosticators.
There certainly doesn't seem to be a shortage of prognosticators out there with a gazillion different theories about the future. But if we COULD predict the future, wouldn't that take half the fun out of life? Of course we wouldn't be in the mess we are in right now, but still.......

Old 12-10-2010, 10:33 AM

Prophecies self-fulfill only if they are believed.

If someone predicted that the stock market would crash, and everyone believed the prediction, they would pull their money out of the market, and sure enough, it would indeed crash. Which is why people with money invested (analysts) have a self-interest in purveying their bullish predictions. The more investors you can convince to be bullish, the higher your own portfolio goes.

The statue of the bull and bear on Wall Street ought to be replaced by a statue of a lemming and an ostrich.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:29 AM

They have a statue of a bear?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics