Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 07:36 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,944,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
"Free" is no bargain when dealing with any of the Corporate Vampire Banks (Chase, BoA, Citi, Wells-Fargo, etc.). We had the chance to be free of them if Congress would have let them die -- instead they stole our money and gave it to them.

If you think "free" is a bargain -- Think about this a minute. Can they operate a profitable business by offering and providing any truly "free" service? The goal is that you will be suckered in and over time they will get to knick and bleed you with various service charges, until and unless you get so disgusted with them you fire them. Which can be a pain after you have set up direct deposit of your paycheck and are doing bill-pay with them.

If you want something Free -- here is some Free Advice. Go do business with your local Credit Union. They usually have some minimum membership account to open and then tend to do pretty straight and fair business.
If you get all the extra charges, that would be YOUR fault. I have had free checking for over a decade, and I don't pay anything. I can do my banking online free, and go to ATM's as many times as I want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 07:39 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,035,115 times
Quote:
Turns out it would a smart thing, a very very smart thing, to put lots and lots of your money and time into dealing with a Bank of America "free" account.
I don't spend any money nor time on my free checking account at Bank of America, yet having a checking account with B of A comes with numerous benefits.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:45 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,521,015 times
Sure. sure. How could I have not seen the wonder and wisdom of this?

I am just thankful for such wisdom to set me straight.

btw, here are thousands of more Americans who fail to see how wonderful Bank of America is . . .

[What A Pack of Dummies! Bank of America is Wunderbar! ]

Bank of America Complaints

Bank of America complaints (http://www.americanbadbusinesslist.com/bank-of-america-complaints.htm - broken link)

Consumer complaints about Bank of America

Old 12-20-2010, 10:01 PM

9,894 posts, read 21,976,453 times
BOA (ranked #1), chase (#2) & citibank (#3) have the most customer complaints of all banks in the nation.

Greedy scum !

Old 12-20-2010, 10:15 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,035,115 times
Quote:
btw, here are thousands of more Americans who fail to see how wonderful Bank of America is . . .
Why would that be surprising? There are millions of Americans that can't even balance a check book. Regardless, no matter how good of service you provide you're going to make some people upset. A few thousand people complaining out of millions customers isn't significant, I'm not sure why you are pretending like it is. You're focusing on the complaints, yet ignoring the fact that they have millions of customers. They wouldn't be the size they are today if they didn't provide something to them....

Anyhow, you use your credit union and I'll continue to use Bank of America, ING, etc. Isn't it great that there are banks that work for me and bank that work for you?

Old 12-21-2010, 06:37 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,175,851 times
A company with millions of customers has posts on something called complaints board? Well, that is certainly do avoid doing business with them!

And Amazon: amazon | ComplaintsBoard.com

And eBay: ebay | ComplaintsBoard.com

And Apple: apple | ComplaintsBoard.com

etc.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:47 AM

13,384 posts, read 28,660,475 times
O/P If BOA works for you go for it
personally I think BOA is a bunch of blood sucking leeches who got worse ( if that's possible) after they bought Merrill Lynch & Countrywide

Old 12-29-2010, 08:29 PM

175 posts, read 599,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Yeah, the posters who pay no fees and are satisfied with their service should immediately jump to a credit union with less branches and ATMs because PhilipT can't get his head around a company making a profit while offering free services but can find a website of unhappy customers.

Makes sense.
LOL. I've been with BOA for about 5 years now and there is a local BOA branch less than 3 miles away. I haven't had any major problems with BOA. I'm satisfied.

A few years ago, I banked with a local credit union that was half way across town and their online banking sucked. They only had two atm locations within the whole city.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:01 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,725,412 times
The main problem is they were too big to fail and the the solution was to make them bigger. The joke is on us. Less competition = worse service. They don't offer interest on your deposits because they get money so cheap anyway. Banks always win.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:41 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,002,869 times
I've had BoA for about 10 yrs and have been using there Bill Pay since it came out. I've had direct deposit and so has my wife since we've been there. I was paying 20/month for my account for yrs and was ok with it. But we went there to make a large withdraw for closing costs on a home and they wanted 7 dollars for a cashiers check. I thought that was pretty f*cked up they wanted to charge me that much money since I had been with them for years. So the teller monkey said we could get the "Advanced Tiered Interest Checking" and get free cashier checks and free checking.

I do love online bill pay. No more stamps or envelopes and have never had a problem with a payment not going through the date it said it would be processed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics