Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 04:04 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post

You asked how money flows from overseas manufacturing into the pockets of Americans, I explained. (You're welcome) Whether those jobs are a result of outsourcing isn't so black and white, if a company is successful partly because of cheaper manufacturing costs it is quite possible they are generating more money into the U.S. economy. .

I asked how the money flows into the pockets of UNEMPLOYED Americans.

Quote:
Not true, I buy things for cheaper. Nice benefit
Until you have to take a pay cut or are outsourced yourself. Then it's not so nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
THe company is under pressure to make money for it's stock-holders.

If the Staff of the company do not do the best they can in this area they are removed and others take their place.

SO, when the Government creates onerous regulations, restrictions, and taxes....

The company has to first do right by it's shareholders.

By outsourcing they lower overhead, and increase profits, doing better for the investor.... they help 401K's etc....
Just like the corporation’s first obligation is to its stockholders, the government’s first obligation is to its citizens.
That is the problem. We have become a Fascist State where the interests of the corporations and the government are the same.
Corporations are getting obscenely wealthy at the expense of the people.

Things have to change. The question is whether they will change peacefully or violently.
I may be a pessimist but I believe it will be the latter.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:17 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
I asked how the money flows into the pockets of UNEMPLOYED Americans.
And I explained to you. You're welcome.

Apple (evil users of overseas manufacturing) increased its U.S. workforce from about 10,000 to almost 37,000 between 2002 and 2009, if you need more explaining go ask one of them.

Quote:
Until you have to take a pay cut or are outsourced yourself. Then it's not so nice.
Ah so the millions of people who have things they might not have been able to afford don't count because they could have an unfortunate event happen? Come on man a benefit is a benefit, stop being obtuse.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:30 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,126,656 times
Quote:
Just like the corporation’s first obligation is to its stockholders, the government’s first obligation is to its citizens.
That is the problem. We have become a Fascist State where the interests of the corporations and the government are the same.

Things have to change. The question is whether they will change peacefully or violently.

You musta missed the part about the excessive government taxation and regulations HARMING the companies and driving them overseas....

Not surprising.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:43 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,884,616 times
I just love how this argument once was a very basic economic one, but it got hijacked into the philosophical.

Here's a truth you never heard discussed anymore: Many products wouldn't exist without outsourcing. Most of the "cheap" Chinese stuff people complain about endlessly wouldn't not be viable if they had to be manufactured in the US. Sure there is the philosophical argument about if the stuff is needed or should one buy it, but the fact is most toys and basic electronics wouldn't exist.

If they were not outsourced and only developed and manufactured in the US flat screen TVs would have cost over $10,000 to begin with instead of $4,000 or so they were at the beginning of mass roll out. Most people didn't buy at that price, but some did. If it cost 10k they may never have gained any sort of critical mass which created the marketplace which then created efficiencies and lower costs and a process which just kept improving until it got to the point where most people in the US can buy a flat screen if they choose. Add in the lack of capacity to manufacture that many and if we were lucky we'd probably be just getting to where a set with lousy capabilities compared to what we do have was just coming down to the cheap price of $3000. In other words all the industry changes and innovation would have been stifled by higher initial costs. And this could be repeated across a multitude of product lines and industries. No matter what you think about the products, outsourcing is a real need in so many cases. Not to mention the fact there just isn't capacity or capability anyways in many industries because there is not efficiency to support a domestic industry.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:36 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,732,085 times
Quote:

Can you put a date on when this transition occurred? Please be specific about the events leading to this transition.

I am pretty certain the part about "belligerent nationalism and racism" has been around quite a while. Did "dictatorial control" coincident with the Patriot Act?

Fascism
a.
A system of government marked by centralization of authority under a dictator, stringent socioeconomic controls, suppression of the opposition through terror and censorship, and typically a policy of belligerent nationalism and racism.
b. A political philosophy or movement based on or advocating such a system of government.
2. Oppressive, dictatorial control.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:42 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,732,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Hmm, I guess I'll take your next regularly scheduled finger-wagging about attacking the source in a new light eh? ...
I guess that illustrates the term, "being hoisted on your own petard".

I understand they have now outsourced the manufacture of petards, so in the future it will be less advantageous to the US economy to employ them.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:56 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
Nah, cause the cheaper production of petards allows far more opportunities for hoisters in the US.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
You musta missed the part about the excessive government taxation and regulations HARMING the companies and driving them overseas....

Not surprising.
Let me get this straight, despite the fact that corporations are making obscene profits at the expense of American jobs, and that they are now paying a smaller percentage of the total tax burden than any time in history, we should lower their taxes even more, and put more of the tax burden on the working people so that the rich can have even more and then they will take pity on us and create some jobs here?

I have a better idea, how about a 25% tariff on all good produced overseas, a higher corporate tax, and a 60% income tax on all incomes over 1 million a year. That would return us to a situation more like the 60's when we had an extremely strong economy, and employment. The working people then also had more of their paychecks to spend on consumables

Old 01-21-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
I just love how this argument once was a very basic economic one, but it got hijacked into the philosophical.

Here's a truth you never heard discussed anymore: Many products wouldn't exist without outsourcing. Most of the "cheap" Chinese stuff people complain about endlessly wouldn't not be viable if they had to be manufactured in the US. Sure there is the philosophical argument about if the stuff is needed or should one buy it, but the fact is most toys and basic electronics wouldn't exist.

If they were not outsourced and only developed and manufactured in the US flat screen TVs would have cost over $10,000 to begin with instead of $4,000 or so they were at the beginning of mass roll out. Most people didn't buy at that price, but some did. If it cost 10k they may never have gained any sort of critical mass which created the marketplace which then created efficiencies and lower costs and a process which just kept improving until it got to the point where most people in the US can buy a flat screen if they choose. Add in the lack of capacity to manufacture that many and if we were lucky we'd probably be just getting to where a set with lousy capabilities compared to what we do have was just coming down to the cheap price of $3000. In other words all the industry changes and innovation would have been stifled by higher initial costs. And this could be repeated across a multitude of product lines and industries. No matter what you think about the products, outsourcing is a real need in so many cases. Not to mention the fact there just isn't capacity or capability anyways in many industries because there is not efficiency to support a domestic industry.
So we have distoyed the lives of millions of people in order to have flat screen tv's?
I guess that is a fair trade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics