Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 07:04 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,730,223 times

Advertisements

Here's another couple quotes from Denninger:

"Tea Party my ass. This was nothing other than The Republican Party stealing the anger of a population that was fed up with The Republican Party's own theft of their tax money at gunpoint to bail out the robbers of Wall Street and fraudulently redirecting it back toward electing the very people who stole all the ****ing money!"

"Sarah Palin, Newt Gingrich, Bob Barr, and douchebag groups such as the Tea Party Patriots" are to blame for the bastardization of a movement that now seems focused on "Guns, gays, God," instead of the Tea Party's original mission: to castigate the federal government for supporting the "rampant theft" of taxpayer dollars that went toward "propping up FAILED private businesses."

Last edited by shaker281; 01-29-2011 at 07:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 04:42 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,907,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
Here's another couple quotes from Denninger:

"Tea Party my ass. This was nothing other than The Republican Party stealing the anger of a population that was fed up with The Republican Party's own theft of their tax money at gunpoint to bail out the robbers of Wall Street and fraudulently redirecting it back toward electing the very people who stole all the ****ing money!"

"Sarah Palin, Newt Gingrich, Bob Barr, and douchebag groups such as the Tea Party Patriots" are to blame for the bastardization of a movement that now seems focused on "Guns, gays, God," instead of the Tea Party's original mission: to castigate the federal government for supporting the "rampant theft" of taxpayer dollars that went toward "propping up FAILED private businesses."
that really doesn't have much to do with the subject at hand.

let me address that quote anyhow. denninger may have forgotten that it was a democratic congress in office which chose to bail out the banksters, a democratic pay czar who allowed those gigantic bonuses after the bailout, and a democratic congress which implemented all the stimulus programs, and is planning yet more theft of taxpayer money. zero hedge has had several articles on the new stealth QE3 program that is already being implemented.

nevertheless, i think there is genuine frustration that we seem to get rid of one bad group of politicians and put another one directly in behind them. i give denninger some credit for being able to bash both sides because it has been both sides damaging this country, although it just so happens that the democrats seem to be doing the most damage now.

big government-no matter which party is in charge-is dangerous for america, as it is for every other country.

we have had a succession of leaders who have been willing to sell out their fellow countrymen. all countries have corruption and the united states is probably no worse than any other country in that regard. however, the one thing we have had in our favor was being the reserve currency of the world and "the bernanke" has INTENTIONALLY damaged our currency by his insane money printing policy. i can't imagine that he didn't understand that there would be some negative consequences to his actions.

the one peeve i have always had against the democratic party is that they have always tried to thwart attempts at energy independence. if we had tapped into entrepreneurial efforts at energy independence years ago we wouldn't be in the situation that we are in now.

the one peeve i have against the republican party is that they forgot that they were supposed to be the party of smaller government. hopefully, they have been reminded by the voters of their duty to the citizens.

it is possible to get back on track, stop the rising unemployment, and allow citizens the FREEDOM to be productive yet again.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:13 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,962,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
the one peeve i have always had against the democratic party is that they have always tried to thwart attempts at energy independence. if we had tapped into entrepreneurial efforts at energy independence years ago we wouldn't be in the situation that we are in now.
I don't remember any Democrat crying out "Drill Baby, Drill..." (S.P.)

Can you cite some examples of Democrat opposition to energy independence? Are you talking about natural energy alternatives or good old nuclear power?

Old 01-30-2011, 11:12 PM

Quote:
that really doesn't have much to do with the subject at hand...

the one peeve i have against the republican party is that they forgot that they were supposed to be the party of smaller government. hopefully, they have been reminded by the voters of their duty to the citizens.
It relates directly to the state of mind of the quoted source.

You might want to review the speeches by Bush and various republican appointees (Bernanke, Paulson, et al) beseeching a congress comprised of both party members to pass TARP and auto bailouts.

Can you clarify how Democrats have "thwarted attempts at energy independence" and suppressed "entrepreneurial efforts"? Support with facts.

When exactly were Republicans the party of smaller government? Rhetoric aside, what administration has actually shrunk government - ever?

Jefferson said: "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." Jefferson was a leader in developing republicanism in the United States.

Check out the federal debt figures here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationa...idential_terms

Eye opening! Hardly supports the idea that Republican administrations are fiscally conservative. Lots of misconceptions and rhetoric colored by personal beliefs out there!

Last edited by shaker281; 01-31-2011 at 12:03 AM..

Old 01-31-2011, 05:28 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,907,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I don't remember any Democrat crying out "Drill Baby, Drill..." (S.P.)

Can you cite some examples of Democrat opposition to energy independence? Are you talking about natural energy alternatives or good old nuclear power?

that is my point exactly.

democrats have been (historically) AGAINST drilling, against coal, against nuclear energy (in the name of "the environment")-while at the same time american dollars are going to help other countries-like obama appropriating US aid to help brazil's petrobras company drill for oil!

i guess the liberal democrats don't mind drilling as long as other countries receive the benefit of it.....

i will add the disclaimer that i realize that not all democrats support every democratic policy, just as not all republicans support every republican policy.

i actually think that most americans have more things in common than what separates them.

we ALL want a stronger manufacturing base and greater job growth for all americans. we cannot stay on this path of government growth and private sector destruction. i am sure that even government workers understand that their salaries come from the private sector, and the shrinking private sector destabilizes their jobs as well.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:49 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,962,233 times
Quote:
that is my point exactly.

democrats have been (historically) AGAINST drilling, against coal, against nuclear energy (in the name of "the environment")-while at the same time american dollars are going to help other countries-like obama appropriating US aid to help brazil's petrobras company drill for oil!

People who think carefully about consequences do not want the earth to be ravaged by our greed for oil. There are plenty of alternative energy source companies that cannot get the venture capital to make a go of it (wonder why) just like the electric car was invented decades ago and was blocked. Obama is a corporate pres. He like other presidents hardly represents intelligent policies.

we ALL want a stronger manufacturing base and greater job growth for all americans.
The sooner we get over the idea that manufacturing will save us the better we will understand the global economy and our place in it. Manufacturing, by and large, is a dinosaur the way handwritten manuscripts became a dinosaur when the printing press was invented--the way the typewriter became a dinosaur with the rise of computers and the digital age. We can never regain manufacturing anyway (at smaller broader levels) because we cannot work with cheap labor. Where the economy now is in large-level manufacturing (alternative autos and transport), the service/information sector, and technology to include new clean and safe energy sources (not mining, not nuclear--hmmn, what does that leave?). You can bet big oil will block the latter. We have all the know-how we need to reinvent our economy but corporate interest politics will not allow it.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:

i guess the liberal democrats don't mind drilling as long as other countries receive the benefit of it.....
From what I have seen, a lot of well informed people are cautious about believing that domestic drilling or irresponsible coal and nuclear policies are a reasonable solution and might simply represent short term thinking and "kicking the can down the road". Clean coal, a responsible nuclear energy policy and responsible drilling are all acceptable implementations alongside of other long term strategies to decrease our dependence on nonrenewable resources.

This caution has been politicized by folks like yourself into "thwarted attempts at energy independence" and suppressed "entrepreneurial efforts", as evidenced by your failure to support your claim with facts.

This reluctance to believe we can drill our way out of foreign energy reliance has led to more breakthroughs in energy than ever before. Solar, hybrid technology, clean(er) burning coal plants and wind farming have all taken great strides as a result of not believing we can simply drill until it becomes cost prohibitive.It might be argued that we would be a lot further behind if it weren't for those "liberal" democrats raising objections to continuing on an unsustainable path.

Last edited by shaker281; 01-31-2011 at 11:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics