Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 04:37 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,126,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Lazyiness won't get you anywhere in life. Whether its a hourly or a salary job, that isn't the point. The money is on the table somewhere, why not grab it now. Who knows what the future is.

What are you getting out of living paycheck to paycheck?
I'm Getting paid hourly for what was going to be an unpaid internship while I get my degree, take classes, collect certifications, starting a small business, and plan on beginning my masters in a year.

Oh, and I'm in the black at the end of almost every month (Exceptions when i spend saved money to buy furniture etc...)

I'm not living paycheck to paycheck, I have money at the end of the month and stay ahead on all of my (Few) bills.

Thanks for asking though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 04:41 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,806,411 times
There are workoholics in other parts of the world. 50% less? That would mean 20 hours a week average. Same pay right? 25% reduction of lifestyle for how long?

People in America like to spend more then they have and like to show off materialistic things even if they are in heavy debt. Same goes for gov't which is $13 trillion in debt.

Well they are also getting unemployment income too.
College isn't really a good investment anymore. There are graduate students who are heavily in debt working jobs to meet ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
I love how workaholics claim ownership over the concept of work ethic. Get off it, workaholism is a american cultural mindset seated in materialism. If somebody told you could work 50% less at work for a 25% reduction in lifestyle most wouldn't take it, as people in America are living on 110% of their income. But I would. And believe me we overstate the living conditions of an America that rejected hyper-productivity. We wouldn't be Congo, as it is we're diverging socio-economically in terms of wages and experience, guilded age in the making again.

The real problem is that such choice of dialing back is NOT given in America. For me to suggest a 50% reduction of productivity to my employer would constitute a 100% reduction in my income. There is no middle ground in America. Most employment in America that allows such vocational liberties, pay squat even at 100% expected participation (i.e. department store clerk work), so the point is moot at those compensation levels.

For a sector of the economy that whines all the day about the lack of work ethic in this country, they sure like to act aloof at the concept of UNDEREMPLOYMENT, which is the real nasty overarching theme to our present economic condition. Bunch of technically trained people doing jobs for 45K with layoffs every five years. That's where your "coddling" comes from; nobody late Gen X and younger considered that ROI a propert opportunity cost for going through the college racket. Go ahead and shrug your shoulders, watch everybody decide to sit on their hands or torch the streets in lieu of going to work for peanuts [read: UK 'yobism'] , just so that some workaholic can feel better about himself no less, and watch this country turn into economic-polarized Brazil. You're gonna love going to the mall on the weekends among the collective riff raff then, with the have, have-not dynamics.

Didn't ya listen to Office Space (such formative gospel for me)? "That makes a man work JUST hard enough not to get fired". no extra cookies for missing out on the non-economic valuations of my life that are not tied to my vocation.

Americans need to work smarter not harder.....

Old 02-10-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
That's an odd thing to say to someone who just said there ought to be room in our society for people with all different kinds of priorities about their personal ambitions.
Joking.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
You can find a balance.

I'm not working overtime if I can avoid it, and if I do I almost always find a way to make up for it by skipping out early when the opportunity strikes.

Yet I certainly don't live paycheck to paycheck.
This depends on your financial goal if you want to skip that overtime.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:44 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Lazyiness won't get you anywhere in life. Whether its a hourly or a salary job, that isn't the point. The money is on the table somewhere, why not grab it now. Who knows what the future is.

What are you getting out of living paycheck to paycheck?
Lazyness got me everything I had ever wanted, and then some, and now I am retired contentedly. My work ethic was that I go where they tell me to go and I do what they tell me to do, and they pay me on Friday. I take a year off now and then.

Why not grab it now? Some people have an ethic that does not pivot on the concept of grab.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
I'm Getting paid hourly for what was going to be an unpaid internship while I get my degree, take classes, collect certifications, starting a small business, and plan on beginning my masters in a year.

Oh, and I'm in the black at the end of almost every month (Exceptions when i spend saved money to buy furniture etc...)

I'm not living paycheck to paycheck, I have money at the end of the month and stay ahead on all of my (Few) bills.

Thanks for asking though.
So that is an 'Opportunity Cost' which is great.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Lazyness got me everything I had ever wanted, and then some, and now I am retired contentedly. My work ethic was that I go where they tell me to go and I do what they tell me to do, and they pay me on Friday. I take a year off now and then.

Why not grab it now? Some people have an ethic that does not pivot on the concept of grab.
I have plans to retire financially a lot earlier then most average folks. What age did you retire?

Old 02-10-2011, 04:50 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,126,656 times
Quote:
So that is an 'Opportunity Cost' which is great.

Explain....

Don't understand what your trying to say.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Explain....

Don't understand what your trying to say.
I was using the Economics term.

Opportunity cost - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-10-2011, 05:26 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,391,972 times
Quote:
It seems like I am the only one motivated to work and work overtime, including doing side businsess for future financial goals.

I think you are admirable for that. We have to make sacrifices sometimes in order to meet our goals. Too many people want to find the easy way out. Those people, in the end, will be sorely disappointed with life.

Also, I am ALWAYS positive in my work and general in life but people think I am on drugs because I am always positive.

Ah...even better. I hate being around grouchy people. Positive attitude in life goes a long way:.

Any comments and suggestions?
My father told me this when I got my first job. "Always do the best you can to your ability no matter what task you are given. Take pride in what you do" So yes even when I had to scrub toilets in the restrooms at work they were spotless. I have always given any job I do 110% and usually with a smile on my face(although I doubt I was smiling while scrubbing toilets but I was most likely singing, lol). My goal is not materialism but to be debt free and have security.

I would say you are on the right track. Don't let the whiners get you down
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics