Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2011, 05:33 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,371,023 times

Advertisements

Texas ranks 45th out of the 50 U.S. states for the weight of its total state and local tax burden, according to a report by The Tax Foundation.
The report by the Washington D.C.-based nonprofit think tank said tax burdens in fiscal year 2009 fell from the previous year, and said New Jersey residents paid the highest combination of income, sales, property and other taxes at 12.1 percent.
Texans paid only 7.1 percent over the same period.

Texas tax burden among nation?s lowest | Houston Business Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 12:16 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Even then the burden varies so much within the state because its property tax rates vary so much and no income tax.I live in tweo towsn than ra into each toehr and the tax brden was lower in one because it has more industril atxbase but the other actaully offered fewer services.But taxpayers in the higher tax area had more control of budget because it effected them directly including renters.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:12 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,953,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Even then the burden varies so much within the state because its property tax rates vary so much...
Exactly. One of the reasons I left Texas was high property taxes (although the primary reason was the weather).

Old 02-25-2011, 09:51 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,358,226 times
WA has no income tax, a pretty high sales tax (between 10% for your groceries, and 80% for booze), and low property taxes (though the principal is very high .. 1.1% on a 450k home is still ~5000 a year).

I'm not taxed very much, especially compared to my state where I grew up (IL).

Old 02-26-2011, 08:54 AM

152 posts, read 498,045 times
Coming from the 50th lowest state in the nation, Alabama, I think Texas is doing well.

Seriously though, lower taxes mean less services, that is fine if everything is good in your life but what if you have a child or grandchild with autism or a poor grandparent who needs some senior services?

Not that I am displeased with low taxes but it is important to remember low taxes mean less services and all of us are closer to needing those for loved ones than we like to think about.

As a point of reference AL property taxes are about 350/yr for 100K home, about 150 to plate a newish family sedan and 5% state income taxes and no toll roads that I have seen yet. State sales tax is 6% with local tax up to 4% more, an average sales tax is about 8.5%
But many pensions are tax free.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:58 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,497,966 times
What you're saying is the next time I journey east on I-10, I should just stop for good in Mobile?

Might take you up on that.

I would guess TX is almost exactly opposite UNcheap as everyone says with all the people I know who live check to check. Maybe the wages being so low has something to do with that. Maybe people haven't gotten passed living beyond their means. Worth looking into, I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics