Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 07:18 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,689 times

Advertisements

With the markets set to open down hundreds today, it is good to have a large cash position, and be in position to acquire some positions at bargain prices. After taking flack for some time about my lack of confidence in the market, it is nice to see that prices are now coming to me, instead of chasing them upward as many of my critics have done. While many others are feeling fear and pessimism, I am becoming confident in my future profits.
Sometimes it is good to be the proverbial broken clock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 07:36 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
The market opened bloody red...-272

Yes, I'm on the sidelines. Stocks were too overpriced for my tastes.
PE's of over 100 were delusional.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:39 AM

Looks like it's hedge funds dumping all their shares.
That's big money at play.

Next will be margin calls and then more selling to cover.
Mutual funds are in a bind..they cannot trade til late this afternoon.

Hedge funds hammer stocks to worst plunge since '87 - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110315/bs_nm/us_japan_quake_markets - broken link)

Old 03-15-2011, 07:56 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
After taking flack for some time about my lack of confidence in the market, it is nice to see that prices are now coming to me
(...)
Sometimes it is good to be the proverbial broken clock.
That is some funny ****, all the "optimists" that you deride made huge gains in an amazing bull market over the past couple years, then when world events cause a pullback you're in here patting yourself on the back you were right all along. How did your "short BAC at 11" wisdom turn out for ya?

I'm pretty happy that things are dipping, the ride smooth steady ride up to 12.5k was way too easy. Feel better buying if we could temper things down for awhile.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:24 AM

Well slackjaw..those gains are only on paper unless you got out.
It's all about timing these days and not being too greedy.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:15 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
I think it is hilarious for some one to cheer themselves for being really smart in staying out of the markets the last few years after it goes down 232 points (as of right now) in one day...while contently ignoring that you have missed the bull market run from 7,500 to 12,000 (4,500 points). I would call that penny wise, C-note foolish.

Whatever delusion makes you happy though. I guess people need to take solace in the small victories if they missed such a staggering opportunity.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:24 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well slackjaw..those gains are only on paper unless you got out.
If someone invested thruout the downturn they are still up in a big way despite the recent pullback. 7500->12500 is a gain, and so is 7500->12500->11800.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:33 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
The market was due a correction and the Middle East/Japan situation gave it the excuse it needed. It is probably healthy because it will give the market a new base to build from.

I have seven March covered calls expiring on Friday so, for me, this correction is a good thing as I will probably not get called out of them and will be able to rewrite for April and bring in some cash.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:46 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I think it is hilarious for some one to cheer themselves for being really smart in staying out of the markets the last few years after it goes down 232 points (as of right now) in one day...while contently ignoring that you have missed the bull market run from 7,500 to 12,000 (4,500 points). I would call that penny wise, C-note foolish.

Whatever delusion makes you happy though. I guess people need to take solace in the small victories if they missed such a staggering opportunity.
I suppose it is all in how you look at it, seeing as I was out in time to not take a big loss when it dropped to 7500, the smaller positions I took at the bottom, along with commodities, paid well, overall I am up considerably from 2007 with little exposure to risk.
Most of the same people who are patting themselves on the back for being in the market for the 4500 pt run up did take big losses, and are no better off than they were in 2007.
I am still not sold on the solid foundation of the market. The fall off today is only a short term profit opportunity. The market will have to deal with the realities of the economy at some point, and when it does it will not be pretty.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:26 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
I suppose it is all in how you look at it, seeing as I was out in time to not take a big loss when it dropped to 7500, the smaller positions I took at the bottom, along with commodities, paid well, overall I am up considerably from 2007 with little exposure to risk.
Most of the same people who are patting themselves on the back for being in the market for the 4500 pt run up did take big losses, and are no better off than they were in 2007.
I am still not sold on the solid foundation of the market. The fall off today is only a short term profit opportunity. The market will have to deal with the realities of the economy at some point, and when it does it will not be pretty.
Whatever, it's your money and you can do what you want.

Don't expect people not to laugh if you crow loudly and publicly that you have cash to take advantage of a short term dip in market prices....from missing a 30% yearly run for 2 years (assuming index fund). It's actually extremely funny to watch people proudly display their very foolish decision as if it was the smartest move in the world. I am a Schadenfreude though.

I don't really care about the vague claim of "most people", anecdotes are just another word for what comes out of the back end of a horse. I can see what "most people" say on Morningstar and The Motley Fool...and it's about their gains or slapping themselves for not taking advantage of the run. I bet there some people who didn't, but there are always stupid people making stupid speculations even in great markets.

Cash or investments, if that "great economic collapse" happens you constantly harp about...either are screwed. If it doesn't, that 30% ROI is going to keep me warm at night much better then that 1% per year in cash. We will see how the future pans out, it is always uncertain, but remember how much your little stash of cash is earning compared to inflation and those who wisely invested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics