Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 10:02 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,159,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
I have personally paid hundreds of thousands of dollars in taxes over the course of my life and received very little benefit from those taxes.
If you've been taking the highest bracket your income falls into and simply paying that percentage on your gross pay this time then yeah, I'd be a little miffed too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 11:48 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,637,395 times
Quote:
I have personally paid hundreds of thousands of dollars in taxes over the course of my life and received very little benefit from those taxes.
The situation in Libya is a perfect example; the US just spent $600 million to blow up Libya’s army. How much benefit will the American people see out of that?
First of all, you must be very, very rich now. If you've paid the bottom end of your estimated range ($200,000), and you were taxed 20% of your TOTAL income (highly unlikely), that means you've already made a million. More likely, 2 or 3 million, if your lifetime income tax is not grossly exaggerated. If you haven't used that kind of income to create a contented and fulfilling lifestyle, you might have some introspection to do.

You live in a free country, and you get to vote. In the next election, vote for the candidate (if you can find one) who promises to bring all our troops home from all overseas postings, and never never engage in any military activity overseas that does not repel a clear and immediate danger of a violent attack threatening our domestic way of life. Your per capita share of that $600 million is two bucks. How much benefit did you get from that cup of latte?

You're right about one thing: The situation in Libya is a perfect example. Of everything that is going down the crapper in our national psyche, and that of the whole western world.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:56 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,502,979 times
Quote:
The difference is the person who goes into McDonalds gets their monies worth of product for the cash they lay out.
The average tax payer does not.
Then all is well.

Remember -- Only the Little People pay taxes. Leona Helmsey was not lying, yunno.

Quote:
The situation in Libya is a perfect example; the US just spent $600 million to blow up Libya’s army. How much benefit will the American people see out of that? A few jobs replacing the cruise missiles, and lots of profit for military contractors.
Sure. The US military exists and operates for the benefit of Corporate interests -- not US. That is what is meant by our National Interests. The Corporations own the .gov, not US.

Quote:
Had that $600 million stayed in the taxpayer’s pockets, it would have stimulated the economy in the form of purchases at local levels that would have circulated, creating more jobs and having a much bigger positive effect on the economy.
But look back at the theme of this thread. The corporations should not pay taxes -- only US. You seem confused on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics