Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 04:38 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
New Civil War erupts, led by super rich, GOP - MarketWatch

Waren Buffet said , “there’s class warfare, all right,” “But it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning.”

The article above outlines the class war being waged by the super rich which is now threatening every aspect of our lives.
The regular people of this country are loosing this war badly, and the only question is will they ever stand up and fight for their birthrights and the future of their children?
Warren Buffet also said that it's a good opportunity to make money on Japan's suffering.

Buy low, sell high.

BTW...I will not get into another "woe is me" argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 04:47 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,532,965 times
Well there has always been a war its just that since Reagan its become a one sided beating where the rich are getting richer and the poor/middle class being stretched.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:01 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,859,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maschuette View Post
This article has it completely backwards. It isnt the rich vs the poor, its the people vs the government. This article is saying it is the GOP screwing the american people, the GOP isnt even in control. "GOP governors trying to tie the hands of the Unions." The majority of unions are government employees and all of the unions getting "tied up" by GOP governors are government employees. "All the GOP congressmen are pledging not to raise taxes" Darn...so i guess the government (democrats) cant take more of the people's money. Do people actually buy into this stupid crap. That article was like a bad joke.
Didn't you know? Us "evil" taxpayers - we're always the problem!

All hail the recipent class!!

Old 03-23-2011, 05:15 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,629,876 times
I'll just say I'm having trouble distinguishing the effects of globalization and the effects of America becoming a poor nation. Why would globalization mean America has to become poor? It is just corruption or is there a justified reason.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:18 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,481,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Exactly! This is the only country where you can make it if you want. I couldn't have said it any better.
It is easy to live large here. What with Burger King and McDonalds etc.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maschuette View Post
Currently i am living on-site, at a job working 84 hours a week so i can build wealth and be one of the evil people you wish to go to war with. What birthrights are you talking about? My parents had to work, and now i have to work, and anybody else who wants to prosper in this country has to work. 85% of the rich are first generation rich, including bill gates. Having money isnt a birthright, it is the result of your actions or inactions.
Bill Gates has an attorney for a father. He also attended Harvard. I wouldn't use Gates for any Horatio Alger stories.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:40 PM

We enjoyed a few decades of unparralled wealth and opportunity for the middle class. It was a historical aberation.

History shows that a small percentage have lived with freedom. Even fewer have enjoyed relative prosperity.

Enjoy what we had. Then move into a smaller house unless you belong to the class that Congress so diligently works for.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:37 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,196,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHAdams View Post
Bill Gates has an attorney for a father. He also attended Harvard. I wouldn't use Gates for any Horatio Alger stories.
He said Bill Gates was first generation rich. Coming from an upper middle class background to be worth billions is first generation rich.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:47 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
He said Bill Gates was first generation rich. Coming from an upper middle class background to be worth billions is first generation rich.
You don't need to be a billionaire to be rich (at least, not yet). According to the Wikipedia bio of Gates,

His family was upper middle class; his father was a prominent lawyer, his mother served on the board of directors for First Interstate BancSystem and the United Way, and her father, J. W. Maxwell, was a national bank president. . . .At 13 he enrolled in the Lakeside School, an exclusive preparatory school.

While he might not be "rich" by some standards, he clearly grew up in an environment in which money was no object to his freedom of opportunity to not concern himself with a paycheck on Friday.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:48 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times
Rags to riches is a myth that has to be maintained to gain support for pro-elite policies, so long as people think they have a reasonable chance of becoming rich they will not want to soak the rich.

Anybody remember Joe the Plumber? Worrying about taxes on income above $250k while living in a shack while unemployed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics