Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2011, 03:00 PM

64 posts, read 79,392 times

Advertisements

First I just want to say long time reader first time poster. I just made a username today.

The last two years I have had so much trouble getting a job as an Accountant. I have been looking for anything in accounting even though I prefer to be an Auditor. And this is why I am having trouble...

1. My undergrad degree is in Criminal Justice
2. My only real world experience is with a firm that went under in less then 3 months aka I don't have enough real world experience.
3. I have not finished my Masters in Accounting yet (4 classes from being done.)
4. I don't have my CPA license yet but I am starting to study for one of the sections of the exam. I just now qualified to sit.
5. I live in Charlotte and my school is located in South Florida so that doesn't help me as far as jobs and internships go.

I have

1. Done all the websites
2. Applied to firms
3. Emailed firms that I can't apply to.
4. Called firms that I can't email.
5. I have worked with headhunters and all have the same excuse no experience no degree no job.
6. I have posted on forums before, but not city-data until now.

I have just ran out of ideas and time is running out before I finish my degree and need to pay back loans. So city-data what should I do? Is there any help out there? I do have my resume if anyone wants to look at it just message me. I would like to stay in Charlotte but I willing to move to the Northeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 04:15 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,962,233 times
Try for a paid internship with a firm if you can't find a job right away.

If you absolutely cannot find a job or internship (and you probably will ), look into working for AmeriCorps, a program that doesn't pay a lot but gives great experience and defers your student loans. I think you can work for AC anywhere in the states (it's a one year commitment and I think also covers health insurance during that time).

Old 03-24-2011, 04:34 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,843,220 times
Unfortunately, the best jobs are the word of mouth kind... If you didn't get a job at "one" company, asked that company if it knows any other company that may be interested...

Old 03-24-2011, 09:17 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
Try local companies and charities. Offer to work for "free" to get experience for that resume.
Try small businesses and offer to do their books..really small businesses like the one man shops where they have to do all their own work. Many don't like to do it but can't afford full time accountants/bookkeepers.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:12 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,569,720 times
Your best source of a first accounting job will be the university where you received your degree. Since that university is in Florida, maybe you should work in Florida for a few years. Get your CPA and you'll be a lot more mobile in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics