U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 10:15 AM

18,675 posts, read 14,805,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Enough people want to buy cars to give the UAW bargaining power. Not enough people make enough to pay taxes and support teacher's wages. Maybe if everyone was represented by the UAW, we wouldn't have this problem
Whoa......

Years ago I worked in a small shop and was represented by the UAW.

We made minimum wage.

I worked there about 7 years.

When the UAW pushed for more money they agreed.

Then they moved to Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 03:10 PM

13,139 posts, read 9,113,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Whoa......

We made minimum wage.

Ah, this reminds me of another experience with another union that happened after I quit the company. Okay, so another TPA (third party administrators) where my branch office paid health insurance claims for a carpenters union.

The union insisted the employees in my office join. We did and got squat. Our boss was a tyrant, wages low, time off for vacation negligible and other fun things. I finally left. When I went into my boss's office to give my notice he made quite a fuss about my leaving. I was being "disloyal" and "unappreciative" of all he had done for me. Yeah, right.

So first I told him if I were a male, he wouldn't be talking to me like this because I was advancing myself. Second I told him that the union we were pressured to join didn't do anything to better our working conditions which included some employees having to work in a basement with no windows and poor ventilation.

Third I told him my new workplace was non-union but it offered higher salaries, flex-time, a much better health plan and safer and nicer work environment to name a few things. I asked could he match even the salary and he said "No." I said "Goodbye."

A few months later I heard that one of the women in that office got fed up and contacted the union to help improve working conditions. They refused. She then told them since they couldn't force the TPA to be in the union they would all resign.

One of the basic reasons the union had not paid attention to this office in the past is that it consisted of all female employees while the electrical workers were all male. But they didn't want the women to resign so they said okay they would negotiate with the TPA's office manager. You know, the one who told me I was a traitor for quitting.

Well the union tried to talk to this jerk-boss and he said no to everything. The women went out on strike. It lasted a couple of weeks. The owner who was in a different state, told the jerk to meet their demands. The jerk-boss said okay but as soon as the women returned to work he said all bets were off and they weren't getting anything they were promised.

The ladies went on strike again. The owner of the company got angry and closed the office.

You would think that the jerk-boss would never be able to get a job managing this type of office again. Wrong. Years later when I was working for the TPA I talked about before, he came in one day and proclaimed he was the new manager.

The union that was representing us apparently didn't care about his past behavior with unions. And he had a different tactic this time. He became buddies with the union rep. They played golf, socialized with their families and kissed up in general. As a reward he got his family on the union paid health benefit plan and free rein running his office without any union interference, even when grievances were filed.

The OP asked "Why the hate for unions." My personal experiences with unions have created my hate. I don't argue with those who have better experiences but these are mine and I think I earned the right to hate unions.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:08 PM

7,959 posts, read 4,871,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Whoa......

We made minimum wage.

Who cares. I worked with plenty of machinists who have their sob stories working in non union shops. Yea, those non union shops also moved to Mexico, Costa Rica, etc... The union and non union shops both saw opportunity elsewhere, because even minimum wage and benefits are too much compared to those other places.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:22 PM

2,393 posts, read 6,368,983 times
I have no problem with unions in the private sector....either join or not...your choice. I do have a problem with unions in the PUBLIC sector (ie: paid for with TAX dollars)....the taxpayer should NOT be held hostage to unions. The public works sector will pay what they can afford....and if you don't like that...don't work for them! The government, whether State or Federal or Local...can only pay what is affordable. Do not hold the taxpayers hostage to union demands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics