U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-20-2011, 05:03 PM
 
1,550 posts, read 2,431,695 times
Reputation: 3656
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I can tell you haven't set foot in the industry, with such a skewed sense of the salaries in it.
sure, because every jack and harry in engineering is pulling 6 digits and full dental, lickity split. bunch o' "i gotta get that mba so i get out of the hamster farm and start making what I THOUGHT I was gonna make in engineering in the first place....oh wait, everybody in the hamster farm has the same plan...crap". .... please..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-20-2011, 05:37 PM
 
Location: Moscow
1,198 posts, read 1,146,772 times
Reputation: 1256
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
lots of people are applying for the openings, but i would say 50,000 openings is lots, not a few. it's spread over 14,000 locations, but if you have 5 mcdonalds within 20 miles of your home, which isn't crazy depending on where you live, that means there's about 15 jobs coming to your neighborhood. sure, it's not shaking the economy back to life...but it's a good indication of better things overall.
I was referring to the example given by the OP: 300 applicants for 5 openings. I have no idea whether 50k openings is a lot for McD's on the national scale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2011, 05:52 PM
 
Location: San Francisco, CA
7,425 posts, read 3,881,915 times
Reputation: 5782
Of course this is what a recovery looks like after large employers outsource damn near every well-paid blue collar job to Asia - and now increasingly do the same thing with as many white collar jobs as possible. No matter what your capabilities are, you just can't compete with an Indian who is sufficiently qualified and capable of doing your job for a third of the overall cost. The only reason the McJobs are left is because they haven't been able to outsource those...and believe me, I'm sure they've tried. What else did we expect to happen?

Remember when those "expert" talking heads would get on TV and talk about how great globalization would be for America? They were right, it is great - for them, for the bankers, and for the top corporate managers who get to buy new yachts with the money they would have spent to pay you. What they didn't really publicize is that for the average American, it's really not such a hot deal.

So let's raise a big mac and thank the small oligarchy of elite big business leaders - and their shills on both the Republican and Democratic sides, who have for years bent over backwards for them - for cleverly adding to their already-bulging pocketbooks while leaving us with only ****ty, dead-end, low-wage jobs with which to barely sustain ourselves and our families! And you know they're not done yet, because there are still some well-paid jobs left! Yay, America.

You think this country is in long-term decline? You'd sure as hell better believe it.

PS - And McDonald's can go suck it with their bullsh$t PR campaign about how great their jobs are -everyone knows the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2011, 06:39 PM
 
Location: Northern NJ/Amagansett, NY
3,807 posts, read 4,305,380 times
Reputation: 2559
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Of course this is what a recovery looks like after large employers outsource damn near every well-paid blue collar job to Asia - and now increasingly do the same thing with as many white collar jobs as possible. No matter what your capabilities are, you just can't compete with an Indian who is sufficiently qualified and capable of doing your job for a third of the overall cost. The only reason the McJobs are left is because they haven't been able to outsource those...and believe me, I'm sure they've tried. What else did we expect to happen?

Remember when those "expert" talking heads would get on TV and talk about how great globalization would be for America? They were right, it is great - for them, for the bankers, and for the top corporate managers who get to buy new yachts with the money they would have spent to pay you. What they didn't really publicize is that for the average American, it's really not such a hot deal.

So let's raise a big mac and thank the small oligarchy of elite big business leaders - and their shills on both the Republican and Democratic sides, who have for years bent over backwards for them - for cleverly adding to their already-bulging pocketbooks while leaving us with only ****ty, dead-end, low-wage jobs with which to barely sustain ourselves and our families! And you know they're not done yet, because there are still some well-paid jobs left! Yay, America.

You think this country is in long-term decline? You'd sure as hell better believe it.

PS - And McDonald's can go suck it with their bullsh$t PR campaign about how great their jobs are -everyone knows the truth.
+1. I have been saying the same thing for years.

Dont be so hard on them though. They are also devaluing the currency to the point where it will be cheaper to manufacture stuff here than to transport it here from China, so we will have a whole bunch of new low paying manufacturing jobs for people to apply for. We will skip the 2nd world and slide into third, and then we can send our third world crap to the rich countries to buy.

If I am a millionaire, and my next door neighbor is living paycheck to paycheck, I've got to be the stupidest mutherf#(%er on the planet to want to open up a joint bank account with him. How did we let these guys ever convince us to merge our great economy with dirt poor countries around the world? I will never understand it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2011, 07:06 PM
 
28,839 posts, read 16,837,050 times
Reputation: 13966
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
It's funny that you see it that way. The way I see it, we don't have enough tech and science people because the jobs pay poorly relative to the financial industry. The smart students go where the money is, and the only way to make the salaries go higher is to stop allowing 200,000+ tech visa applicants into the country.
Sorry, my point is that there are plenty of US candidates capable of doing tech and science type jobs that are instead working crappy jobs (or not at all) because they never got the needed education.

Basically, take a look at the unemployment rate and people complaining about "not enough high paying jobs" and yet we are handing out all those visas.

That's my case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2011, 07:11 PM
 
Location: San Diego California
5,833 posts, read 3,000,683 times
Reputation: 4123
Perhaps my point of view is a little different because of the traveling I have done over the years. I just remember meeting a lot of people over seas who were reminiscent of better times in their countries. Much of Europe, outside of Germany, has gone through the same kind of outsourcing of industrial jobs and increasing socialism, and governmental regulation we seem to be going through now. It seems like after such a period, upward mobilization of any sort is not possible for most people. Education becomes too expensive, and taxes and poor wages make saving and investment difficult. I cannot help but feel we are following in their footsteps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2011, 07:14 PM
 
28,839 posts, read 16,837,050 times
Reputation: 13966
Did you even read the article?

2 gals hashing out a rivalry from the "hood" and it just happened to happen there. Go to a McDonalds in a rough neighborhood and you won't have to wait long to see a fight etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2011, 07:17 PM
 
Location: Northern NJ/Amagansett, NY
3,807 posts, read 4,305,380 times
Reputation: 2559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Sorry, my point is that there are plenty of US candidates capable of doing tech and science type jobs that are instead working crappy jobs (or not at all) because they never got the needed education.

Basically, take a look at the unemployment rate and people complaining about "not enough high paying jobs" and yet we are handing out all those visas.

That's my case.
OK. Your point is valid as well. We dont have a shortage of educated people. They are just not taking the tech jobs. We dont have a shortage of uneducated people either, and if educated could fill the gap.

Here is the only problem. If you educate them too, they are going straight to the higher paying jobs like their educated counter parts. As long as there are higher paying jobs that are not harder to obtain than the tech jobs, that is where the people will flow. Jobs with highly specific, specialized skills are supposed to pay a lot of money. If not, they will take those highly specific, specialized skills to Wall St, where they will be appreciated. Again, the free market cant work it's magic on these companies because they have paid our government to allow all these foreign workers to come in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2011, 07:24 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC (in my mind)
7,950 posts, read 8,710,810 times
Reputation: 4204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Sorry, my point is that there are plenty of US candidates capable of doing tech and science type jobs that are instead working crappy jobs (or not at all) because they never got the needed education.

Basically, take a look at the unemployment rate and people complaining about "not enough high paying jobs" and yet we are handing out all those visas.

That's my case.
And there's also plenty of people capable of doing tech and science jobs who HAVE degrees, but aren't because they can't find anything other than McDonalds or Wal-Mart. That is the reality of this McEconomy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2011, 07:26 PM
 
8,270 posts, read 5,523,644 times
Reputation: 4583
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
sure, because every jack and harry in engineering is pulling 6 digits and full dental, lickity split. bunch o' "i gotta get that mba so i get out of the hamster farm and start making what I THOUGHT I was gonna make in engineering in the first place....oh wait, everybody in the hamster farm has the same plan...crap". .... please..
I never said every jack and harry in engineering is pulling in full digits, I said your belief that you'd be probably be making 50k at this point with two engineering degrees if you'd gone into the field is a low salary estimate.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:31 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top