Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2011, 06:03 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,353,227 times

Advertisements

The historic long term track record of the stock market is about 12%. What that has to do with baby boomers or Gen X/Y, I don't really know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 06:05 AM

24,488 posts, read 40,988,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
The historic long term track record of the stock market is about 12%. What that has to do with baby boomers or Gen X/Y, I don't really know.
We always use 9% as the historic long term track record when assessing risk and tolerance.

Can you explain where you get 12% from? It could just be an difference of adjustment in inflation... but I thought I'd ask.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:06 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,820,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
12% was the number I always had heard about. I believe it's the average annual return of stocks since the Great Depression until 2000 or so. I thought it was already adjusted for inflation.

12% was "guaranteed" as long as you had a balanced portfolio, so all of us were encouraged to put money into stocks (and bonds) with the assumption that the returns were essentially "guaranteed". In 2008, we all found out that there are no certainties in any investment vehicle! Baby Boomers lost a lot of their net worth because of the recession and the housing bubble. Few people have true value/wealth in this country based on these assumptions of "guaranteed returns". Anyone who doesn't research a company and does not know how they do business or value their business is speculating.....that is what most people do with their money -- speculate, not invest.

I was half joking that it's "all the Baby Boomers fault". It's everyone's fault. But investing and saving will never be the same again and retirement is not going to be a given anymore like it was (supposed to be) for the Baby Boomer generation.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:06 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,087,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
12% was the number I always had heard about. I believe it's the average annual return of stocks since the Great Depression until 2000 or so. I thought it was already adjusted for inflation.
Its my understanding that the last 10 years dragged that number down under 8% now...

Old 06-19-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Its my understanding that the last 10 years dragged that number down under 8% now...
There is no way that 10 years out of 80 dropped the average down to 8%.....but I suppose it's not entirely impossible. 9% or 10% sounds more accurate to me...but I'll believe you for now. Even 8% is not guaranteed with the most balanced portfolio -- that's the point I'm driving at.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:53 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,769,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
First off, I'm 33 years old, at the very tail-end of Gen X or the beginning of Y, depending on who's classification system you're using. I am getting sick of reading thread after thread of my generation and younger whining and complaining about how it is impossible for them to get ahead (or even going) in today's word.

They whine about how it's impossible to go to school without becoming a debt-slave, impossible to buy a house, impossible to raise a family, impossible to even get a job, ect, ect...

WTF is wrong with you people? I worked my way up in my job field from 11 dollars an hour to 24 now, put myself through college without taking out a loan, own a house that is worth more than 200K, have 2 cars (one paid for) 3 kids, no debt besides the mortage and car loan, a bunch of toys and my wife is even a stay at home mom. It wasn't hard.

Here's how: I did a good work and progressed in my job. I bought a fixer-upper house and restored it myself. I kept good credit so I get the best rates on loans. I lived within my means and didn't overextend myself early, so I would have more later. I budget.

Why is this "impossible" for so many people? Did your mommies not teach you how to be an adult? Are you unable to plan more than a week ahead? Stop whining! It's always been challenging to get a life started no matter what generation a person finds themselves in. If chango can do it, you are a sure bet!!!! Get out there and get to work!!!!!
Congrats, my 33 year old daughter did the same and has even paid of her mortgage and car. She is 100# debt free and now saving like mad.

It didn't take with her 30 year old sister who is constantly broke: same parents, same lessons. Go figure.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:04 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,087,830 times
Quote:
There is no way that 10 years out of 80 dropped the average down to 8%.....but I suppose it's not entirely impossible. 9% or 10% sounds more accurate to me...but I'll believe you for now. Even 8% is not guaranteed with the most balanced portfolio -- that's the point I'm driving at.

I said understanding... Meaning that I have read it in several different sourced articles.

Havn't tracked the data myself.

HOWEVER:

It's NOT "10 years out of 80"

The 12% was termed as:
"Any 40 year period out of the X Years the stock market has been in existence." (It was quite a few years ago I first read that)

So your not looking at 1/8th, your looking at 1/4th.

And I agree, I invest in stocks/mutual funds, but it's a PART of my overall plan.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
I said understanding... Meaning that I have read it in several different sourced articles.

Havn't tracked the data myself.

HOWEVER:

It's NOT "10 years out of 80"

The 12% was termed as:
"Any 40 year period out of the X Years the stock market has been in existence." (It was quite a few years ago I first read that)

So your not looking at 1/8th, your looking at 1/4th.

And I agree, I invest in stocks/mutual funds, but it's a PART of my overall plan.
I think we both get the point, so let's forget the semantics, and I'll forget you don't know the difference between "your" and "you're"....

Old 06-20-2011, 12:53 AM

12,671 posts, read 23,714,927 times
Quote:
....what? Show me 12% returns and I'll show you my entire portfolio!! You can't guarantee 12% now like you could before, and you never will be able to again. Most stock brokers can't beat the S&P 500, which will NOT gain 12% this year!
How long have you been investing? In what kind of equities and bonds?

In stocks, there are NO guarantees. There was NEVER a guarantee. Who told you that?

Old 06-20-2011, 12:55 AM

12,671 posts, read 23,714,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
NLY alone is beating 12% this year, last year, the prior year, etc. And it's no hidden gem either.
Its how you manage your portfolio. I keep an eye on it every single day so I make the proper changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics