Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 10:43 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,761,515 times

Advertisements

Am I wondering why so many large retailers like Macy's, Dillards, and Belks have so many stores still. You would think Macy's that has 800 stores would close many stores down, yet some have opened up. Maybe Macy's changing some stores into a discounter Macy's could work in the future.

I'm shocked that communities like Stockton, Bakersfield, Modesto, Salinas, Santa Maria, El Centro, Redding, and Visalia have Macy's.

I would think that Macy's opening a discount Macy's type store, Forever 21 expanding, and JCPenney's expanding is more likely.

Anyways, what retailers are you guessing will not live out this economy?

It's amazing we have 800 Macy's. 200 each of Nordstrom's, Neiman Marcus, Belks, and Dillards. And around 1000 for Sear's, Target, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, and JCPenney's. Seems like we should have less Macy's.

Last edited by the city; 06-06-2011 at 10:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 10:52 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
The business model has changed for many brick and mortar businesses.

Two of the biggies that have been hit the hardest are the Video rental shops and Bookstores.

Video shops overcharge and are getting killed by streaming video (Netflix) and the Video rental machines (Redbox).

Bookstores get undercut big time by places like Amazon.

Would not be suprised if you see less and less of both of these stores.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:55 AM

56 posts, read 190,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
The business model has changed for many brick and mortar businesses.

Two of the biggies that have been hit the hardest are the Video rental shops and Bookstores.

Video shops overcharge and are getting killed by streaming video (Netflix) and the Video rental machines (Redbox).

Bookstores get undercut big time by places like Amazon.

Would not be suprised if you see less and less of both of these stores.
Absolutely. I worked at Blockbuster for a few months and it was really dead most of the time. I ended up quitting after a few months (you would not believe the kind of people that came into that store; I've been working CS since I was 14 and that was by far the worst) and lo and behold, a month or two later the store closed.

I think that used bookstores will stick around for a bit because of the reasonable prices and the option to sell your own books. But Barnes and Noble, Borders, etc are probably going to be gone soon It's a shame, I love browsing those stores, but the prices are ridiculously high.

Also, music stores. There aren't any left in my area (Sam Goody, the Exclusive Company) but if there are any anywhere else, I'm not sure they'll be around forever since people can just download MP3s. That really sucks, I loved the Exclusive Company.

I've always wondered how Hallmark and similar stores stay afloat. The prices for a simple greeting card or candle are ridiculous Especially because they aren't really necessities. With people trying to live more frugally, I wouldn't be surprised if some of those began closing as well.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:32 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,556,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Am I wondering why so many large retailers like Macy's, Dillards, and Belks have so many stores still.

I'm shocked that communities like Stockton, Bakersfield, Modesto, Salinas, Santa Maria, El Centro, Redding, and Visalia have Macy's.

Anyways, what retailers are you guessing will not live out this economy?
They need a certain amount of sales to keep volume high enough to get good pricing when buying from suppliers. But, that also want all stores to make a profit. So, they *have* to close stores when they are unprofitable and open others to see if the new stores will be profitable.

If stores in the areas you mention are profitable then why would corporate close them?

I think the retailers who don't have the resources to close unprofitable stores while opening new ones will not live out this economy.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:51 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,395,410 times
Quote:
I've always wondered how Hallmark and similar stores stay afloat. The prices for a simple greeting card or candle are ridiculous Especially because they aren't really necessities. With people trying to live more frugally, I wouldn't be surprised if some of those began closing as well.
Was at the mall over the weekend - our Hallmark had 40% off everything in the store and still I didn't see too many buyers. I think the prices of postage is hurting them as well

Old 06-07-2011, 07:11 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,960,836 times
Its kind of sad that all of the video stores have closed. I remember the typical family night of going to the local video store and looking at the back of every VHS to make a selection. I think through the next decade we will see specialized stores start to diminish. For example, the three large office supply stores, Officemax, Office Depot, and Staples. They wont all be around in 10 years, or there main business wont be retail shops. All 3 of them are putting more resources into online business outlets. Places like this have lost so much market share to the Walmarts and Targets.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:15 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elephanteazul View Post
Absolutely. I worked at Blockbuster for a few months and it was really dead most of the time. I ended up quitting after a few months (you would not believe the kind of people that came into that store; I've been working CS since I was 14 and that was by far the worst) and lo and behold, a month or two later the store closed.

I think that used bookstores will stick around for a bit because of the reasonable prices and the option to sell your own books. But Barnes and Noble, Borders, etc are probably going to be gone soon It's a shame, I love browsing those stores, but the prices are ridiculously high.

Also, music stores. There aren't any left in my area (Sam Goody, the Exclusive Company) but if there are any anywhere else, I'm not sure they'll be around forever since people can just download MP3s. That really sucks, I loved the Exclusive Company.

That is one of the reasons these stores are going to go under........CHEAPOS like you love to go there and "BROWSE" for hours and leave without buying a thing.

Most stores no longer offer very much in the way of service, so I look for CHEAP.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:33 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,533 times
I would think most bookstores would probably be prone to going extinct with the advent of eBooks. Also, electronics retailers seem to be hit hard. Most people can get much better deals through online retailers like Amazon, NewEgg, and Tiger Direct.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:55 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,904,196 times
The stores I think are most likely to fail:
Radio Shack. They are not selling anything unique like they used to. Everything they sell is available at Walmart, Home Depot, any cellular store or Sears.
Hobby Lobby. Never see any cars in the parking lot.
Garden Ridge. Everything you can get there is available at any Home Depot or Lowes.
Pet stores. People can buy dogs cheap or even get them free elsewhere. Same with cats, goldfish or rabbits.
Of the major retailers, Sears and Macys are old and respected and will be around for a long time. Kmart I think will eventually be gone (it is being folded into Sears pretty much now).

Old 06-07-2011, 07:57 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,904,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
Its kind of sad that all of the video stores have closed. I remember the typical family night of going to the local video store and looking at the back of every VHS to make a selection. I think through the next decade we will see specialized stores start to diminish. For example, the three large office supply stores, Officemax, Office Depot, and Staples. They wont all be around in 10 years, or there main business wont be retail shops. All 3 of them are putting more resources into online business outlets. Places like this have lost so much market share to the Walmarts and Targets.
I agree with that. No way will the market support 3 office store chains. I think Office Depot will survive because it has the deepest pockets. One or both the others will be gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics