Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 07:50 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I really abhor such populist waste of article space

Corporations are global.

And they burn the midnight oil to deliver the returns to people who matter the most - their investors, who also come from around the globe.

Then they don't need US incorporation and HQ here.

They should go and incorporate in the global nation. Oh wait! No such country exists.

Spare me the bull**** about them paying taxes here or having jobs here. Or the favorite, "they can always leave somewhere else!'. Let them leave.

There's a reason they're staying here. The state dept, CIA, and DOD (to name a few) are basically lackeys for American corporate interests. It must be nice having a powerful government pushing your interests across the globe on someone else's dime (taxpayer $), right? This can't be the reason that they're still based in the US. No way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 08:15 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times
I can't believe the naive populism exhibited on this thread.

Ever since the inception of humanity, traders, commercial business and bankers have dictated the economy and politics.

Everything is money-driven.

And we're talking about values and patriotism?? Really? I wish I could get you folks a ticket out of utopia, but how can one convince you to even accept it.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:58 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times
Fine. "Business" to me, is an agreement between two parties where both are satisfied. Stealing money from somebody, ripping someone off, hiring EE's out of country to lower costs, fleeing the country to avoid the taxes, etc. are what businesses do when they become obsessed with money. CEO's do NOT, almost EVER, represent the goals of the business....esp. at the highest levels. They represent the shareholders (themselves), and then leave after 5 years and retire. Everyone left in the dust suffers.

Last edited by west336; 07-08-2011 at 09:09 PM..

Old 07-10-2011, 03:33 PM

608 posts, read 1,346,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
No one ever said life is fair.

No, businesses are there to make money. If they don't make money, they don't stay in business very long. Good luck on your endeavor, but if you don't turn a profit, you won't be in business for very long.
That's the problem right there....businesses are there to make money. As if they have NO obligation to the community. Well some conservatives would disagree with you:

Great corporations exist only because they were created and safeguarded by our institutions; and it is therefore our right and duty to see that they work in harmony with these institutions.

--Teddy Roosevelt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics