Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 06:20 PM

165 posts, read 304,681 times

Advertisements

LOL @ responding with financial advice. i asked a moral question and you respond with your financial ideology? hilarious. you obviously didn't comprehend the rest of my post, only the part where you could tout your investing theory AGAIN. we already know from when you were patting yourself on the back about it earlier. by your posts and responses you must be a hedgehog instead of a fox. you do know no matter how good you invest and set yourself up if it's in their best interest they will seize your funds/property/whatever it is you own right?

but i digress... be a good serf, they love you.

See what's happening in Spain right now?

Keep that in mind.

(but its different because "this is America" right? hahahah)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 06:27 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
thats why a good plan includes guns and bullets.

you keep worrying about the end of the earth, not sure how your planning around it . but you have to do what you think will make your life the best it can be.

ill continue the same planning and thinking i have done for the last 30 years.

let me know how the dooms day planning works out for you.

Last edited by mathjak107; 07-26-2011 at 06:42 PM..

Old 07-26-2011, 07:11 PM

LOL where did I say the end of the earth? Again, you're a hedgehog. You're narrow minded you only see one path and can't see other options. The world is not ending and I'm not saying it's over. All I am saying is the financial system and they way our country is ran is flawed and if you read through history every democracy crumbles. And they usually crumble within 300 years. Rome. All of them. Because the system doesn't work forever. The point is... lets find a better system but you're stuck in the old ways just like those running the show. The people know there's other ways, it's just our voices aren't heard yet, or taken seriously because it's not within the reigns of the set up establishment.

can you understand that? where did I ever say it's doomsday? you said that.

also, the end of America is not the end of the world. I'm saying lets not bet on America. Because history shows it's a bad bet right now. The only way you survive is to adapt to new ways. And all floridasandy is saying is we need to reform our infrastructure. We need to take a hard look at ourselves if we want to keep this thing going is what we are saying. But to you all you hear is, "Oh my god it's over! we're screwed!" when no one has said that ONCE.

What needs to happen is for those running the show to switch up their ways, and if they don't, the inevitability will be a revolution by the have nots. This isn't doomsday talk, it's common sense. It's all throughout history. Nothing makes you, me or America special or invincible to this.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:12 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,929,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claycassden View Post
mathjak you obviously have too much faith in the system. will you admit they're shifting the wealth? being the government can invest and move in the stock market it makes them a corporation. why are we still getting tolled on bridges that should of been paid off by us decades ago? look up your local toll bridge and you will see it was sold to a private company. so basically we paid off the bridge... but then it got sold to someone else who now is making us pay for the bridge... again... and again. that's just a simple example. get it now? rich or poor has nothing to do with it. this isn't crying. this is awareness. this is common sense. that makes no sense. roads, etc. are all sold to private companies too. this is why you find strange MPH changes in some areas. most of it is to catch off guard drivers so the local police force (also a private company) can make revenue via tickets.

my state of Florida which is also a corporation since it can invest and own assets holds more in assets and investments than the entire national budget deficit alone. they have a surplus in the BILLIONS. they could sell a good number of their assets and investments and pay off our national debt right this moment. but they won't. they want their cake and to eat it too. THAT is the main point. so the people need to cough up their money via more taxes to help pay off the debt? doesn't make sense does it? if you don't believe me go here:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...-9MBog&cad=rja

that's for year 2008. which is way lower than what their total net assets are in 2011. in 2008 they had net assets of 50 trillion dollars. the surplus is above 50 billion. it was 48 billion in 2003. and these are just the assets that were public, there's private ones they didn't have to divulge.

this money is unused... where is it going to? why aren't we using it? insanity.

what you're saying is "Do as they do then." which money wise is smart yes... but is it morally right? is it the right thing to do? this is hurting the country and helping only those who are in the know. i see what these guys are investing in and ride the wave of money too. but why should i contribute to this crime? i can't do that. it's wrong. my heart tells me no. maybe you think it's morally right. which is up to you, but i hope you know that's what's wrong with this world.
Actually, lovely sunshine state shows 58bil in 2010 up from 54bil 09. They seem to have no problem milking you for all they can.

NM mind selling your coerced personal info for 60 somethin mil in profit.

If you look at other states you can see a relationship between unemployment, COL and surplus of the state. The bigger the surplus, there seems to be worse employment issues, for example. Didn't study it in depth, but did notice this when looking at the financial reports. Like ND had lowest surplus and see how much better they are doing. That is money from taxpayers that not only benefit little, but they literally are being harmed by it.

Clearly it is deliberate, when they do not even discuss the CAFRs when discussing financial issues. In fact, only recently did one state, AZ pass a res to mention the CAFR when discussing financial issues.

Last edited by CDusr; 07-26-2011 at 07:20 PM..

Old 07-26-2011, 07:38 PM

Tried to look up what it could mean but can't find what you mean by COL?

And thanks for the exact number for FL i knew it was above 50 but wasn't sure on the exact number.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:45 PM

Sorry. COL= Cost of Living

Yes, it is hard to keep up w/ all the profits, err..surplus when they are hurting so bad.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:59 PM

919 posts, read 1,781,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
of course everyone has to do what they feel right doing but my question is what are you protecting your assets against? calamity or hyper inflation?

wheres the back up plan for growth, or recession,or deflation.

if your close to retirement wheres the plan for generating income?

anyone who thinks they are going to shift gears in time if their speculation that only one economic scenerio will play out is going to find its impossible to do.

bullet proofing ones assets doesnt mean betting on only 1 economic out come because you believe thats the only scenerio you see.

again its just my opinion but i dont see much protection .
You're funny but not in a good way. If you want to plan for anything then you have to have control. To have control then you have to information. With information then you have to be able to interpret that information in order to be able to do something about it.

Over the last four decades the capacity of the citizens of this country to know what their government is doing has been eroded, to the point that we have no idea just what our government actually does with our money. o We don't know who the FED lent money to, Ben Bernanke refused to say who received what in open committee session. Furthermore we have little idea just what private corps do or what they produce. For example hundreds of chemical compounds/products are created every decade but scant few of them are tested by our gov in order to see the toxic load they dump into our lives. Because of trade secrets corps don't have the requirement to tell us anything either.

Adam Smith wrote that one of the requirements for a free markets was the open and complete flow of information, that anyone knew what other competitors were doing, could enter or leave and that would eliminate the ability of monopolies to exist. Without that critical ingredient, it's silly to think that anyone can plan or prepare adequately for any eventuality. What we have is a suckers game, one that gets you to believe that you can exist within the system if you go along with it and just play along based on the choices given to you. If you think that you can win within that system, that the game isn't rigged and if you just try hard enough you'll come out on top, you are a sucker....

Old 07-26-2011, 10:29 PM

Haveta laugh.

Watch Jon Stewart Expose Bernanke's Lies From 60 Minutes: The Big Bank*Theory - Home - The Daily Bail

Old 07-27-2011, 02:15 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loloroj View Post
You're funny but not in a good way. If you want to plan for anything then you have to have control. To have control then you have to information. With information then you have to be able to interpret that information in order to be able to do something about it.

Over the last four decades the capacity of the citizens of this country to know what their government is doing has been eroded, to the point that we have no idea just what our government actually does with our money. o We don't know who the FED lent money to, Ben Bernanke refused to say who received what in open committee session. Furthermore we have little idea just what private corps do or what they produce. For example hundreds of chemical compounds/products are created every decade but scant few of them are tested by our gov in order to see the toxic load they dump into our lives. Because of trade secrets corps don't have the requirement to tell us anything either.

Adam Smith wrote that one of the requirements for a free markets was the open and complete flow of information, that anyone knew what other competitors were doing, could enter or leave and that would eliminate the ability of monopolies to exist. Without that critical ingredient, it's silly to think that anyone can plan or prepare adequately for any eventuality. What we have is a suckers game, one that gets you to believe that you can exist within the system if you go along with it and just play along based on the choices given to you. If you think that you can win within that system, that the game isn't rigged and if you just try hard enough you'll come out on top, you are a sucker....
oooh i have all the information i need.. dont confuse having information with utilizing that information. thats what adam smith is talking about.

the fact is this is the most inept congress in history and i will do my best to vote as many out on both sides as i can. that wraps it up for the politics and complaining side .

now i concentrate on how to deal with the results of what we were dealt and to survive and prosper under those conditions. thats where most people are failing and why they complain and are so miserable. they forget there is a part here they need to plan around and deal with. that part takes lots of knowledge,learning and planning. few put any effort into that end at all,just the complaining end.

my point is listening to the noise out there every day, hiding under a rock or complaining isnt going to make anything any better for your lifes plan. only you can do that and the more time you spend learning to work with what your dealt and not just complaining about it the better off you will be..

only you can control that lazy susan in your head. you can swing all the noise and negative crap around and stare at . or you can swing it back around,you know its there but your focus is learning, educating yourself and thinking creatively as to how your going to plan and navagate through the mess.

one thing i see over and over in here is people digging up every negative piece of info they can find like they are on a treasure hunt and posting it like displaying the spoils of war,it does not even have to true, just negative... but wheres your own plan for dealing with it????????? how much time a day are you devoting to finding answers for yourself , trying a creative plan or learning how successful people are still successful today. NONE!!!!!!!!!!! most of the time, no time is spent at all on a road map for their future or a plan to really protect their assets..

just once along with the crap thats posted i would like to see one useful strategy or plan for dealing with it on a personal level added to that post. i think you will be very hard pressed to find one post like that from our resident doom and gloomers.

Last edited by mathjak107; 07-27-2011 at 03:43 AM..

Old 07-27-2011, 04:28 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,908,341 times
i just don't see how you can "road map the future" when you have such an unstable system now. i think the only "plan" we can have right now is to try and stop the massive government spending increases until we get the entire situation under control.

mish had an interesting piece on a county bankruptcy:
County Fleeces Taxpayers , Then Files Bankruptcy - Page 1 - Mike Shedlock - Townhall Finance

what is the definition of insanity?

doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

waiting until the fraud is out of the system is not the same as "hiding under a rock", and waiting can be a short-term plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics