Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 01:29 AM

106,557 posts, read 108,696,306 times

Advertisements

its the reverse,the markets reflected what the bankers and politics did to us in 2008. the tail didnt wag the dog.

the markets are the thermometer when your sick. the bad structured products,the real estate loans that shouldnt have been made, fraud,un-employment etc all brought us down not the markets. they did what they

were supposed to do, they fell to reflect everything going on. when things werent the end of the world and company after company had higher profits and higher revenues they again reflected what the corporate world was seeing.

today we have record corporate earnings and if it wasnt for the ills of the world we would be breaking new highs quarterly but again the markets are reflecting all that is known.

who out there is manipulating the 500 largest companies in america or who is manipulating the wilshire 5000 which is an index of almost all traded stocks? ever see earnings come in poor for a company and the stock soars? noooooooooo

come on people stop believing this crap you parrot and just look at things for what they are.

id wager those folks who parrot this rigged stuff either arent investors, bought penny stocks or lost money bailing in a down turn and did the wrong thing and panicked and ran because im not sure you can find folks doing this along time and staying the course that arent up big time.

you could have done nothing but ride the markets ups and down the last 20 years and your up a huge amount even through all this.

nothings any different today. want to talk thinking things were rigged,the stock market crash of 1987. imagine watching your investments fall 25% in one day... talk about crying foul. but as we learned there were reasons and like water the market corrected itself when many reasons never materialized. the markets just went through the perfect storm,there was no rigging. computer software was all seeing the same events and pushed the sell button at the same time.

if i wasnt telling this story i wouldnt even have remembered it happened.

you know the difference between those that are successful financially and those that arent? luck and the fact that those that are not successful financially believe their own bull-sh*t.

they let their brains stop them from doing the right thing by throwing up facts we think are true and are not.. we talk ourselves out of investing or starting a business or starting a new career by bombarding us with information that points out failure or money loss. we parrot in our minds things we hear on the news that are not fact. basically we paralyze ourselves from being successful.

i doubt you will hear successful investors crying the markets are a fools game. i doubt you will see successful business men without a business plan , and i doubt you will see succesful retirements without planning and strategy.

a few years ago money magazine came to marilyn and i and wanted to do a feature story on us. it was basically a challenge. rather than the usual make over or in debt up to their eyeballs people they usually do they wanted to take someone rather successful on their own and they wanted to see if their team of pros could improve and find fault in what i was doing .

we accepted the challenge and did the story. there was really no changes they could suggest other then some issues on long term care insurance.

fidelity investment magazine did a feature story on us the following month.

the point is you can do it easily if you control wht you can control and stop believing your own bull-sh*t....

enough said....

Last edited by mathjak107; 07-28-2011 at 02:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 03:05 AM

maybe i found a new career when i retire, i can be a motivational speaker and rack in millions on an info-mercial ha ha ha ha

lets see how motivated i still am after we default lol

Old 07-28-2011, 03:20 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,284,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Well I think you can do more than vote. I think the logical course is to participate in what you want and not participate in what you don't want. However, there is the rub. You are pushed into a system whether you like it or not.

I think a revolution does need to take place, but I don't think violence is necessary, as I consider that more of a riot than a revolution. There are many empowering and creative ways people are initiating changes in their lives.

Discussing unpleasantries that should be addressed rather than ignored are important I believe in being personally responsible. I don't view that as complaining, however. I think it is necessary to discuss things out in the open in order to see what is happening and get a better idea about what needs correcting first.

There are waay more people in the world and in this country than there are the few running the corrupt systems. Only a few have to say enough and change it.
The revolution you speak of comes from knowledge and education. That is the key and that is why, as long as they allow forums like this to exist, they are the best tool to achieve the spread of knowledge.
A good analogy of what is happening now with the world-banking establishment is what was happening in the 60's with the military establishment.
It took many years and arguments to enlighten people that the entire country was being lied to. A man named Daniel Ellsberg risked life in prison to enlighten people to the truth.

50 thousand young Americans and 1 million South East Asians died to make world bankers and military suppliers unimaginable wealth.
One day in 1968, the President looked out his window and saw 2 million people in Washington Square. 2 million people that could not be deceived any more. He knew at that point the revolution was over, and the people had won.
There were many in those days too, who hated anyone speaking the truth.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:44 PM

if it was up to me i would let every politician automatically serve 2 terms.

one in office and one in prison

Old 07-28-2011, 04:47 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,907,371 times
to look at the numbers of what the federal reserve has done:

through quantitative easing efforts alone,” says Euro Pacific Capital’s Michael Pento, “Ben Bernanke has added $1.8 trillion of longer-term GSE debt and mortgage-backed securities (MBS).”

Think about that for a moment. The Fed’s entire balance sheet totaled around $800 billion before the 2008 crash, nearly all of it Treasuries. Now the Fed holds more than double that amount in mortgage derivatives alone, junk that the banks needed to clear off their own balance sheets.

“As the size of the Fed’s balance sheet ballooned,” continues Mr. Pento, “the dollar amount of capital held at the Fed has remained fairly constant. Today, the Fed has $52.5 billion of capital backing a $2.7 trillion balance sheet.

“Prior to the bursting of the credit bubble, the public was shocked to learn that our biggest investment banks were levered 30-to-1. When asset values fell, those banks were quickly wiped out. But now the Fed is holding many of the same types of assets and is levered 51-to-1! If the value of their portfolio were to fall by just 2%, the Fed itself would be wiped out.”

who says that there isn't going to be a next crisis?

when you don't fix the problems, you ALWAYS get a next crisis.

Last edited by floridasandy; 07-28-2011 at 05:21 PM..

Old 07-28-2011, 08:52 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,928,669 times
I think changing the system model results in different output. It is the systems that facilitate the abuse.

The internet is a perfect example of a more natural system model vs authoritarian central planning. Keeping secrets is harder and harder so I think it has changed the flow of information for sure.

As for bubbles, derivatives haven't even been cleaned up and already Carbon Trading Bubble is fighting to form.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:46 PM

919 posts, read 1,781,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
oooh i have all the information i need.. dont confuse having information with utilizing that information. thats what adam smith is talking about.

the fact is this is the most inept congress in history and i will do my best to vote as many out on both sides as i can. that wraps it up for the politics and complaining side .

now i concentrate on how to deal with the results of what we were dealt and to survive and prosper under those conditions. thats where most people are failing and why they complain and are so miserable. they forget there is a part here they need to plan around and deal with. that part takes lots of knowledge,learning and planning. few put any effort into that end at all,just the complaining end.

my point is listening to the noise out there every day, hiding under a rock or complaining isnt going to make anything any better for your lifes plan. only you can do that and the more time you spend learning to work with what your dealt and not just complaining about it the better off you will be..

only you can control that lazy susan in your head. you can swing all the noise and negative crap around and stare at . or you can swing it back around,you know its there but your focus is learning, educating yourself and thinking creatively as to how your going to plan and navagate through the mess.

one thing i see over and over in here is people digging up every negative piece of info they can find like they are on a treasure hunt and posting it like displaying the spoils of war,it does not even have to true, just negative... but wheres your own plan for dealing with it????????? how much time a day are you devoting to finding answers for yourself , trying a creative plan or learning how successful people are still successful today. NONE!!!!!!!!!!! most of the time, no time is spent at all on a road map for their future or a plan to really protect their assets..

just once along with the crap thats posted i would like to see one useful strategy or plan for dealing with it on a personal level added to that post. i think you will be very hard pressed to find one post like that from our resident doom and gloomers.
You completely missed the point. No matter what you think you know, without full disclosure, full understanding of what is taking place with our resources, then you're truly deceiving yourself. A ignorant populace makes wrong decisions, and of course, you didn't refute my points of a government and corporations which appropriate public information in order to keep us ignorant.

If you need someone to tell you what to do, despite the fact that censorship is carried out to the degree that it is, and you know it, and you still don't know what's the first thing to do, then you're beyond any help....

Old 07-29-2011, 02:22 AM

we arent talking ignorance of facts or being blind. your missing the point.

of course you need to know whats going on but once you have that news the question is whats the personal plan?

you dont need to know every thing there is to know about the biology of the creation of a baby to be good parents.

once you have enough of an idea wasting more and more time finger pointing instead of figuring out what to do on a personal level wont help you one bit.

none of us are economists here and none of us know enough to even know whether what we reading about the way things work in our system even has basis.

articles are slanted to show some ones point.... even if i decided to read all the trash out their im not smart enough to even know if its right. i dont pretend to know enough to even make a decision about whats true.

i go by what i see!...

listen you do what you want ,just accept the responsibility for being hit hard financially when things happen. at least im attempting a fighting chance of withstanding anything the world has thrown at me by having protective measures already in place.. 40 years of history of doing this says so far so good and im still improving things even further as i learn more. .

will it work forever ? beats me but its better than standing by watching the next black swan destroying a lifetime of savings and work.

Last edited by mathjak107; 07-29-2011 at 02:35 AM..

Old 07-31-2011, 05:11 PM

165 posts, read 304,663 times
this argument has honestly turned into "realism" vs "idealism" with both thinking their side is realism. when in fact, they're both idealism.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:38 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,907,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
There is no market left. Total corporate capture of government is here and anyone who pretends otherwise should be ignored. These so called markets are highly manipulated and completely artificial. The stock market is a political tool for the central bankers. We saw a good example of it in 2008, again on May 6, 2010 and possibly soon with this debt ceiling sideshow.
obviously it was a sideshow.

as expected, moody's and S&P did not downgrade even though nothing was accomplished, but only threatened a downgrade. how many times can they "threaten" as a ratings agency and not look ridiculous. (not that they don't already look ridiculous).

.....although china's leading credit rating agency did downgrade the united states:

Although the United States narrowly avoided an unprecedented default following congressional approval of a last-minute compromise plan to raise the debt ceiling, China's leading credit rating agency Wednesday downgraded U.S. sovereign debt after putting it on negative watch last month.

we have to remember that our congressional leaders fall into 2 categories for the most part-fearful and/or crooked.

the crooked ones really don't care what happens as long as they get their pile of cash, and the fearful ones don't want to be "blamed" for an economic downturn. they can easily be led to believe that something is going to bring about a system "crash". (explaining all the bank bailout, GM bailout, chrysler bailout, federal reserve "saving" the banking system, etc.)

...there will be more can kicking until it hits the fan. the federal reserve may be out of bullets, but that doesn't mean they won't keep pulling the trigger.

Last edited by floridasandy; 08-04-2011 at 04:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics