U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ....
I sit down 3 21.43%
Wait to be invited to sit down 11 78.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 08:20 AM

3,012 posts, read 5,525,044 times

Advertisements

When entering someones office for a business proposal, do you sit down or wait to be invited to sit down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 09:56 AM

3,720 posts, read 4,438,510 times
I believe you are supposed to wait.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:44 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
I just sit down, if there's a chair, unless I just have one simple question and expect to be there less than a minute. That's what the chairs are in there for.

If they don't want me to sit down, they can invite me to stand up.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:07 PM

24,511 posts, read 34,115,918 times
In a lobby, I sit. Otherwise I wait.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:26 AM

5,092 posts, read 9,600,213 times
Makes little difference if the folks need you. Just do not be rude or offensive, either way. If they are sitting, I figure they will be tired of staring at my crotch, and I point at one of the chairs around and say -- "It is that good?" Grab one and get down to business.

Some folks are clueless -- especially in most technical fields -- and many are just as nervous about interviewing you as you are about being there. I try to make it easy for them.

Some of the sharper ones have noted -- "You are interviewing me . . . " I just give them an easy smile and say, "Sure, just making sure we cover the critical points for your sake and mine." For the ones who really want help -- that pretty much seals the deal and they turn over whatever they needs to be done as soon as we talk money.

On the other hand, if the folks I am dealing with think the level of proper etiquette for a new person must be tested with musical chair games, I would likely fire the company within a week, anyway.

Filters can screen both ways.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:30 PM

16,045 posts, read 18,257,430 times
If you are interviewing for a position or if you are there for a favor of some kind, etiquette would say to stand erect, lightly touching the back of a chair all while looking at the other person making pleasant conversation. Only a clod would rush in and sit down, uninvited, in this kind of situation.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:44 PM

13,388 posts, read 42,701,155 times
I think it depends on the relative level of seniority of the visitor and the office holder - if they are senior to me, I wait to be invited to sit, and if I'm called in, it may just be a quick question where it would be inappropriate to sit anyway.

Seems to me it's about equally rude to sit without invitation as it is to keep one's visitor standing.

Good point that many technical people are socially guache - frequently it's not actual rudeness, it's just a combination of not knowing what to do, and that their brain is occupied in hyperspace, not available for small talk.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:56 AM

16,045 posts, read 18,257,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I think it depends on the relative level of seniority of the visitor and the office holder - if they are senior to me, I wait to be invited to sit, and if I'm called in, it may just be a quick question where it would be inappropriate to sit anyway.

Seems to me it's about equally rude to sit without invitation as it is to keep one's visitor standing.

Good point that many technical people are socially guache - frequently it's not actual rudeness, it's just a combination of not knowing what to do, and that their brain is occupied in hyperspace, not available for small talk.
In fourth grade we were taught in using commas "when it doubt, leave it out" - in this case, "when in doubt, don't sit down".....it's more of a matter of showing mutual respect, like Chinese cultures at the business level do, than of seniority.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:39 AM

2,073 posts, read 3,676,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
If you are interviewing for a position or if you are there for a favor of some kind, etiquette would say to stand erect, lightly touching the back of a chair all while looking at the other person making pleasant conversation. Only a clod would rush in and sit down, uninvited, in this kind of situation.
I agree. Standing varies from making no impression to a better impression. Stomping in to a room and plopping down can either mean nothing, or leave a negative impression. There are no drawbacks to standing.

In regards to conferences, I also believe in standing until senior management has been seated and standing when the customer enters (which implies you will be there before the customer). It may seem like arbitrary rules, but A) it lets the customer know the hierarchy of your team, and B)following protocol almost never leaves a negative impression.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:30 PM

42,204 posts, read 49,740,662 times
Whether in a social or business situation, I wait to be asked. If it's my turf, I always ask if someone needs something to drink and then to please sit down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or