Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 07:30 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,884,616 times

Advertisements

How does one 'gift' money to the government. Really how do you do it?

The sacred cow the GOP won't let be touched are the professional investors. Talk about easy money. They havea nicely loopholed system and defend its value until the end. There are good ways to increase taxes on the rich with no real economic impact unless your business is selling real estate or wine in the Hamptons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 07:39 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pll View Post
Such an angry tone..lol.
Um....yes, a lot of us are angry about the fact that people take what actors say seriously because over the last 40 or 50 years we've witnessed the results of massive numbers of people adopting the values of Hollywood and the entertainment industry...and we don't like what we see.

These people, as a group, live some of the most dysfunctional lives of anyone. Many of them are intelligent from a strict IQ standpoint, but their common sense (as a group) is seriously lacking.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:45 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKK View Post
And that is the answer? How about spending more where it counts and a little less on things like toilets in the Fed baths and all the other idiotic items the American public thinks the government pay for.
Because outside of Defense, Social Security, Medicare/Medicaid, all other spending is chump change. If we don't come to grips with the reality that ALL OF THE ABOVE will need spending cuts, then we are in serious trouble. That is just the plain and simple mathematics of it.

Quote:
How about responsibility being taught in the schools and classes on money and how to save and spend wisely?.
On this, I'm with you 100% . I suspect the reason we haven't done this is because an elite few don't want people to be financially literate. It's the ulaimate way to control peoople. My dad used to call this "going off half-cocked". And that's what most of these actors are like and why most should not be taken seriously.

Quote:
Ah, and let's get the opinions of the actors? I don't mind. One of our best Presidents was a former actor. They are entitled to their opinions too.
He's certainly entitled to voice his opinion. But most of these actors don't have anything to back up what they're saying. They just go off their feelings without looking deeply into the issues. My dad's saying for this was "going off half-cocked". And that's how most of these actors are...and that's why most shouldn't be taken seriously.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:29 PM

92 posts, read 225,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
How does one 'gift' money to the government. Really how do you do it?

From here
Government - Frequently Asked Questions about the Public Debt

There are two ways for you to make a contribution to reduce the debt:
  • You can make a contribution online either by credit card, checking or savings account at Pay.gov
  • You can write a check payable to the Bureau of the Public Debt, and in the memo section, notate that it's a Gift to reduce the Debt Held by the Public. Mail your check to:

Attn Dept G
    Bureau of the Public Debt
    P. O. Box 2188
    Parkersburg, WV 26106-2188

Old 08-03-2011, 08:50 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,097,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Oh, that's all... we should raise taxes on those who make 10 million or more a year? Okay... we can forget about the 250k then right? What do you mean no? I see, comparing apples and oranges to make lemonade... It is ironic that you think an activist is a smart guy because he thinks the same as you... or maybe it isn't ironic... The extremely rich pay mostly capital gains tax and last time I check, your "smart" guys are advocating to increase income tax... wow, just wow....
Actually, he's a smart guy because he's just a smart guy. We're not personally acquainted with each other, so if he agrees with me, that has no bearing on his intelligence. And yes, they are advocating to increase the income tax rate. Most of the rich do make most of their money from capital gains... which is why raising the income tax rate shouldn't be a big deal. It's also common knowledge, so the wow factor for me is why you felt that you actually contributed something here.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:24 PM
pll pll started this thread

1,112 posts, read 2,486,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boystuition View Post
From here
Government - Frequently Asked Questions about the Public Debt

There are two ways for you to make a contribution to reduce the debt:
  • You can make a contribution online either by credit card, checking or savings account at Pay.gov
  • You can write a check payable to the Bureau of the Public Debt, and in the memo section, notate that it's a Gift to reduce the Debt Held by the Public. Mail your check to:

Attn Dept G
    Bureau of the Public Debt
    P. O. Box 2188
    Parkersburg, WV 26106-2188
Brilliant! Thank you. We need to forward this address to Matt and his friends.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:57 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,307,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pll View Post

Do you think we should increase the taxes of the rich?

... net worth is $65 million and is currently paying 25% in taxes.

I think it may be a good idea.
Really?

First of all, you are confusing wealth and income, serious fundamental economic faux pas.

Second, you are asking the wrong question, the ideological backside of the other economic nincompoops in government.

The real question is why do we not drastically simplify the tax code.

The answer is that the monster has two heads but the body is one.

Figure it out.

Good Luck!

Old 08-04-2011, 02:41 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
first we have to define rich before i even have an opinion. i think a few million a year should be considered rich but some look at 250k as that group that should be taxed more.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:14 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,307,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
First we have to define rich before I even have an opinion. I think a few million a year should be considered rich but some look at 250k as that group that should be taxed more.
Again, you are confusing wealth and income. You are a finance professional? Unbelieveable.

This type of question is a red-herring issue along the lines of abortion, gays, other social policy mishmosh, designed to conquer and divide a clueless populace, it should be transferred to the politics (really cheap entertainment) forum.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:25 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
im not confusing a thing, im talking yearly income period . i wrote " a few million a year"

whos a finance professional?????????

from the trouble im having understanding what your posting even means i would say you must be one. ha ha ha

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-04-2011 at 03:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics