Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 05:39 PM

106,669 posts, read 108,833,673 times

Advertisements

so after 30 years of moving away from american manufacturers and going to nissan and bmw products because of american quality issues i decided to give jeep a chance.

bought a 2012 jeep sahara and got it today.

the factory put the wrong fenders on one side of the vehicle.

the passenger side has painted fender flares front and back as it should .

the driver side has the un-painted dark gray rubberized coated flares like the wrangler sport.

this is very bad quality control ......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 05:51 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Funny, I got a Camry last year and complained about the fit and finish; I just got a Wrangler sport a month 1/2 ago and was very surprised by how good the fit/finish was compared to my last jeep (a 02 TJ Wrangler)...

Old 08-29-2011, 10:26 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times
If your going to go with American cars I would have stayed along the lines of Ford or Chevrolet. Japanese cars are good, but really overhyped when it comes to quality. I would still stay away from Jeep, Dodge, and Chrysler though.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:26 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
I have never known anyone who had a great experience with an American car.

I know 3 people with Jeeps and one is constantly under repairs (Cherokee), a Wrangler that had to be lemon lawed the third month (they got a 4-Runner), and another Wrangler that is leaking fluids but in three years they can't figure out where (still drives though). Add into that like Caravans (4 people had them growing up), I have never known one to last more then 7 years before something bad enough happens it costs more to repair then the car is worth. One person bought 3 in a row, he liked them, but all of them had this issue. Never seen good luck with any Taurus.

The only car I've known people to love, and have no mechanical issue with, is a Dodge Ram pickup. They are nice trucks.

I've had European and Japanese cars, neither of which have had major issues. My first car lasted 19 years (Volvo) till it started having issues, then I got a Toyota 4 years ago which has worked flawlessly. My wife has a Honda, and while mechanically it is superb...the paint and plastics are so thin it scratches pretty easily. VW I have heard good things, know a few people with Jettas and Passats, and Mercedes people I know have had good luck with them. BMW I am wary about as almost all don't have problems....but one I knew had so many problems we dubbed it cursed.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:40 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
I went back and tried a few US cars a while ago. I loved the '84 Ford LTD wagon, and the '86 Olds Cutlass wagon was pretty nice, but after about 150K, they were no longer worth the major repair bills. The Dodge Caravan was a complete POS from the get go, and with a little over 100K, I couldn't even give it away.

I've had eight Toyotas, Hondas and Nissans, and all of them were still serviceable and operational at well over 200K. One Toyota wagin was so bad that I gave it to a family member 6 or 7 years ago, after my wife had been using it as a garden truck, and last I heard, it is still in use and being passed around the family to whomever needs a car.

If I had to buy a new car today, I think it would be a Hyundai, or maybe a Kia. I think, at the moment, it is the Koreans who have their act together. Stressing high quality, and still able to keep their costs down.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-30-2011 at 07:53 AM..

Old 08-30-2011, 08:02 AM

152 posts, read 498,094 times
Well, I won a lemon law buy back on my Toyota Camry So it can happen to any manufacturer.

That said I am old enough that I don't think that I can beat the odds and per Consumer Reports the odds are that all Chrysler products will give subpar results. Great styling but mediocre quality.

I still buy Toyota products, BTW.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:09 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
so after 30 years of moving away from american manufacturers and going to nissan and bmw products because of american quality issues i decided to give jeep a chance.

bought a 2012 jeep sahara and got it today.

the factory put the wrong fenders on one side of the vehicle.

the passenger side has painted fender flares front and back as it should .

the driver side has the un-painted dark gray rubberized coated flares like the wrangler sport.

this is very bad quality control ......
I agreee. Jeep is not one of the higher rated for quality among the American manufacturers.

No offense but BMW is generally ranked down there too.

Sorry you are having an issue but the big picture averages show the US manufacturers are greatly closing the GAP in quality...especially Ford.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:11 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traeger View Post
Well, I won a lemon law buy back on my Toyota Camry So it can happen to any manufacturer.

That said I am old enough that I don't think that I can beat the odds and per Consumer Reports the odds are that all Chrysler products will give subpar results. Great styling but mediocre quality.

I still buy Toyota products, BTW.
Toyota quality has slipped but is still generally better (depends on model etc.) than the US. The crux of the situation though is that you tend to pay a premium for this perception and it will be up to you to determine if it's worth doing so.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:26 AM

20,718 posts, read 19,363,240 times
If you want a reliable American car, buy a Buick.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:54 AM

460 posts, read 1,140,143 times
We've had great luck with American cars a Ford Crown Vic, Ford Explorer and GMC Jimmy. I've read we were apparently lucky on the Jimmy, but it was great for us while we had it. We also only buy used cars and don't believe in car payments, so all of these cars are a bit older with plenty of miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics