U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 10:23 PM

874 posts, read 1,267,941 times

Advertisements

This thread is around 4 years old. lol Who bumped?

But to get on topic: They are our allies and I think we should respect them. Of course, most things are made in China, but that hides the fact that they use child labor to create everything in their factories. On the other hand, kids need those jobs to survive, unless they are mostly forced to work.

We should depend on our own country though. We borrow money and buy things from other country's to sell here too often. Maybe a president will change that someday...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 11:35 PM

8,268 posts, read 9,750,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty223 View Post
most things are made in China, but that hides the fact that they use child labor to create everything in their factories.
Complete nonsense.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:44 PM

324 posts, read 864,748 times
Like everything else, you can blame OUR Gov't.
We need to impose higher tariff's on Chinese goods, and we don't.
Our food imports have TRIPPLED over the last 10 years, while USDA has 2/3rds the inspectors they used to have. That said, less than 1% gets checked.
Aside from fruits and meet, the USDA doesn't require origin labels on many processed foods. If it's mixed or packed in the USA and it's all poison chinese crap, it can just say "packaged in Monrovia, CA"
It's just yet another example of gov't doing it all wrong.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:36 PM

2,638 posts, read 4,122,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty223 View Post
This thread is around 4 years old. lol Who bumped?

But to get on topic: They are our allies and I think we should respect them. Of course, most things are made in China, but that hides the fact that they use child labor to create everything in their factories. On the other hand, kids need those jobs to survive, unless they are mostly forced to work.

We should depend on our own country though. We borrow money and buy things from other country's to sell here too often. Maybe a president will change that someday...
I think a lot of this child labor stuff in China is really outdated information. There definitely could be isolated cases of this there, but I think you'd find more of that in poor places like Cambodia, Vietnam, etc. China is really up and coming- many of these factories are on the outskirts of cities that are so modern and developed now that you wouldn't hardly be able to tell them apart from western cities (except they are even newer/cleaner looking than many of ours). The people working in those factories are adults- making low wages for sure, but they are not children- and are making whatever China deems to be a minimum wage. In fact some pay a lot more- these jobs are not quite so "low paying" any more as China quickly develops and wages all across the board start quickly going upwards.
You have to go out to remote places in China to find the kind of poverty you are mentioning, where kids are working to bring home food to help feed their families. People need to open their eyes to see just how quickly China is rising- it will soon be a fully, across the board "developed" country as we are familiar with, where most average people have modern homes with heat and ac, two cars in the garage, cable/satellite TV, etc, etc, etc.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:30 PM
PDD

8,776 posts, read 12,951,476 times
It's only when an American loses their job to foreign workers do they realize that maybe they should be buying American made goods.

Why should we care about all those people working in Chinese factories? Support your American friends and neighbors and let the Chinese worry about themselves.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:42 PM

324 posts, read 864,748 times
I'm done with Chinese goods where I can get items made elseware, but sometimes there is no option. Last time yet another DVD/VCR combo died we went to several stores trying to find a Japanese or US made one. EVERY single one was made in China!

Old 04-19-2011, 02:38 PM

12 posts, read 12,901 times
Anything made in China is total JUNK. I will NEVER buy anything from China EVER.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:00 PM

8,268 posts, read 9,750,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big DJ View Post
Anything made in China is total JUNK. I will NEVER buy anything from China EVER.
Really? Let me come over to your house with a screwdriver and start taking anything that plugs into the wall apart, you'd be surprised.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:01 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,455,816 times
Quote:

Old 04-19-2011, 06:22 PM

4,127 posts, read 7,180,762 times
Quote:

The chinese will bootleg just about anything, it's just disgraceful...they have no concept of ethics or protecting intellectual property.

Take a look at this cloned chinese iphone, disgrace!

YouTube - Fake iPhone 3G is inspected at MacMedics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics