Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 08:15 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,797,747 times

Advertisements

Its not what you know, its who you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 08:34 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
There must be more to this story. This man is severely overweight, and apparently has some hidden health problems judging by the way he holds his mouth. Hard to believe that he doesn't have family who can allow him to live with them until he gets back on his feet. What about all the contacts he made at Dartmouth? No friends, no acquaintances? He appears articulate and intelligent, but maybe some early dementia is setting in as well since his mom had it. Possibly this impacted his performance in the interviews he's been on and increasingly in the jobs he's held of late. Maybe his homeless status reflects poorly on his performance, appearance, and the impression he gives in his interviews. I agree with him that being black could pose additional complications in terms of how he's perceived. I hear that Boston is not an ideal place for educated blacks to pursue a career. Boston doesn't seem to be his town. Stands to reason that he should spending more of an effort searching elsewhere. Something else just isn't right here.

Great headline, sad story, but what's the real story behind this man's problems? Wish I knew the full story.
Revisting this story, and thinking about what I said here, I don't think it was fair for me to doubt the veracity of this man. He's obviously an intelligent person, someone who embraced high academic achievement. He attended an Ivy league school, and sacrificed himself and his career connections to care for his mom who was suffering from Alzheimer's. He must be commended for this. He lost both parents, a devastating tragedy in anyone's life, and he should be given far more consideration. He is obviously a man of great dignity and is striving hard to maintain his self-respect and self-worth in the city of his choosing that appears to give him far less consideration than he deserves. He likely would be an asset to any firm that had the foresight to bring him on.

His financial problems prevent him from looking his best and eating the proper foods to maintain a healthy weight and well-being, yet he appears determined to present himself in the best manner possible. I think his situation is more closer to reality than not for many people similarly qualified who are over 50. His comments about the additional problems of being black under these circumstances, I take very seriously.

The type of problems that he has encountered cannot be remedied by Republican solutions. Republicans don't care if someone is discriminated against because of weight, age, race, or gender. They don't care if fine Americans like this man are shunned in favor of foreign labor. It's really unfortunate that he has hit this roadblock during a time when Republicans are responsible for decimating this country economically and keeping it struggling.

I wish him luck. If I were in a position to help him, I certainly would. Most likely, he will have to find someone who can help him get back on his feet, get out of the homeless shelter, and possibly relocate. He may have to take a job outside of his field and work his way back. He's faces an uphill struggle, no question. His story is a tragic one, yet more common, in the era of Bush/Republican/Tea Party incompetence and regressive obstructionism.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:56 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
Revisting this story, and thinking about what I said here, I don't think it was fair for me to doubt the veracity of this man. He's obviously an intelligent person, someone who embraced high academic achievement. He attended an Ivy league school, and sacrificed himself and his career connections to care for his mom who was suffering from Alzheimer's. He must be commended for this. He lost both parents, a devastating tragedy in anyone's life, and he should be given far more consideration. He is obviously a man of great dignity and is striving hard to maintain his self-respect and self-worth in the city of his choosing that appears to give him far less consideration than he deserves. He likely would be an asset to any firm that had the foresight to bring him on.

His financial problems prevent him from looking his best and eating the proper foods to maintain a healthy weight and well-being, yet he appears determined to present himself in the best manner possible. I think his situation is more closer to reality than not for many people similarly qualified who are over 50. His comments about the additional problems of being black under these circumstances, I take very seriously.

The type of problems that he has encountered cannot be remedied by Republican solutions. Republicans don't care if someone is discriminated against because of weight, age, race, or gender. They don't care if fine Americans like this man are shunned in favor of foreign labor. It's really unfortunate that he has hit this roadblock during a time when Republicans are responsible for decimating this country economically and keeping it struggling.

I wish him luck. If I were in a position to help him, I certainly would. Most likely, he will have to find someone who can help him get back on his feet, get out of the homeless shelter, and possibly relocate. He may have to take a job outside of his field and work his way back. He's faces an uphill struggle, no question. His story is a tragic one, yet more common, in the era of Bush/Republican/Tea Party incompetence and regressive obstructionism.
Splain something to me:

How is it the republicans (Whom I do not like) fault for what happened to him when 'The Great 0' and the Democrats (Whom I do not like) are in charge and have been in charge?

ALSO: What PHD teachers etc (Like he wants) are being displaced by foreign labor (I know the democrats are refusing to secure our borders, but don't think too many PHD's are coming that way)

Thanks

Democrats are in charge... it's the Republicans fault!

We should throw them ALL out!

Old 10-11-2011, 11:41 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,077,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Pondering an equation all day may make for a great PhD thingy. However, it will get one's butt kicked in a piece rate production shop. Does that not match your experience?
The sorts of analytic skills that go into "pondering an equation all day" are rather useful across industry....

Anyhow, the sort of contempt many Americans have for higher education, top universities, etc is just another example of Americans anti-intellectualism....it is this more than anything that will kill the nation.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:37 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
The sorts of analytic skills that go into "pondering an equation all day" are rather useful across industry....

Anyhow, the sort of contempt many Americans have for higher education, top universities, etc is just another example of Americans anti-intellectualism....it is this more than anything that will kill the nation.
No, it is letting our institutions of learning teach psychobabble that has no basis in fact that will destroy our nation.

GL2

Old 10-11-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
No, it is letting our institutions of learning teach psychobabble that has no basis in fact that will destroy our nation.
Umm....what exactly is psychobabble and which institutions are teaching it?

Sounds just like more anti-intellectualism....

Old 10-11-2011, 01:54 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,424 times
Quote:

I'm working on my masters.... and I have this contempt.

I'm not anti intellectualism, the smartest man I've ever met had no degree. He used to go to MENSA meetings just to F**k with them....

I'm anti:
'Intelectualism, (But I REALLY mean schooling) but can barely tie my shoes and if called upon to fix or do anything I can barely navigate out of a wet paper bag!'

As I see WAAAY too often!

Old 10-11-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
the smartest man I've ever met had no degree.
So what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
I'm anti:
'Intelectualism, (But I REALLY mean schooling) but can barely tie my shoes and if called upon to fix or do anything I can barely navigate out of a wet paper bag!'
This is just a banal caricature of an "out of touch" academic, about the only people that this actually applies to are academics with some form of high functioning autism. Sad that they get ridiculed by you folks though....

Academics come in many varieties and the fact that so many Americans hold a contempt for what they do is a sad statement on American society...

Old 10-11-2011, 02:06 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
Quote:
Umm....what exactly is psychobabble and which institutions are teaching it?

Sounds just like more anti-intellectualism....
Psychobabble is usually taught in the Social Science, English and Political Science departments. Math, Physics, Biology, Chemistry and other actual sciences don't mix well with Psychobabble.

GL2

Old 10-11-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Psychobabble is usually taught in the Social Science, English and Political Science departments. Math, Physics, Biology, Chemistry and other actual sciences don't mix well with Psychobabble.
Okay? But you aren't answering the question, what exactly is psychobabble?

Also, math, biology, etc mix just fine with social science, political science, etc. These fields compliment each other....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics