Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2012, 11:26 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Collapse? I don't necessarily think so. Contraction? Better believe it! Unless we go through more rounds of QE, we are going to find out if the economy can stand on it's own two feet. How will people react if they see negative GDP numbers next quarter? Will this cause a mass sell off? Who knows. European debt situation doesn't seem to be getting any better. As I have mentioned before, that will probably stunt any natural growth in China, and stunt demand for commodities from Brazil and Australia. Australia looks like one big bubble just itching to pop... The housing market situation there appears much like ours just before it popped. I can't even imagine how toxic the situation is in China. Government manipulation did our economy great damage, and I'm sure it will have the same effect in China. The commodity market bubble itself may soon be on the verge of a hard contraction. Big question if that happens is... Will it be more favorable to hold currency, assets or commodities? What is going to decline in value faster?

In my opinion, collapse is always possible. It's happened before and it will undoubtedly happen again. More likely however, the system will continue to be stretched, volatility will be the norm, and many will end up on the wrong side of the equation. Recklessness does not go unpunished, but those responsible may not necessarily be the ones to pay the price. The financial sector grew while our natural GDP producing industries declined. Now we have a big hole that cannot be filled. Thus far, the government has just been trying to prop up the fake economy instead of focusing on encouraging growth in real GDP producing industries. Clearly, the answer to our economic woes will not come from big government, although they will continue to throw our tax dollars away trying. Not good.
Can you folks please stop spewing this garbage regarding China.

We have a huge problem in that we were running large deficits into a severe recession/depression. China is running massive surpluses. Two entirely different situations.
They can afford rainy days. We can't. The only thing literally saving us right now is the USD as the sole reserve currency.

The problem with China isn't on the economic side. It's political. Their citizens have traded off civil liberties for economic growth. Once that repressive political system doesn't generate the type of growth they demand, they'll go after the political system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 11:19 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,196,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
There is more crime
Initial reports showing 2011 crime rates continuing the multi-decade downward trend not withstanding.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:44 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,985,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Initial reports showing 2011 crime rates continuing the multi-decade downward trend not withstanding.
Not in the financials, insurance and gov't.

Corruption, Theft, and murder are rampant.

Suicide is a crime and it is at epic levels.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:51 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Doomers, the statistics just don't support your view about the economy collapsing.

The unemployment rate is down to 8.6% today.

We are adding new jobs (and have been for the last three months) at a rate of 120,000 - 140,000 new jobs.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics CPI reflects that in the last 12 months that retail prices increased by 3.5%

GDP or national income increased at a rate of 2.5% the last quarter.

Energy prices fell this last month. I'm buying gasoline where I live for $3.15 a gallon.

Factory orders are increasing.

Auto sales were up in November (which is unusual--its a lackluster month for car dealers)

"Black Friday" sales were up 6% over last year.

I realize most of you "true doomers" will reject all this. You'll say the government statistics are made up. Have you ever contemplated if that were true how many hundreds (perhaps thousands) of people would have to be in on such a fraud?

This economy is recovering. Its doing it slowly. Its not producing as many jobs as fast as we would like it too. However, after an awful recession, we are on the way back. By the election day, I'm betting the unemployment rate will be just below 8%. Not great, but enough to re-elect "O".
There you go again Mark quoting statistics and applying them to the topic. You need to watch the tube more and pay attention to the many ads by different names that came from Porter Stansbury informing us that we would see the most important day in American history(at least the last 50 year) in 2011 and if we watched his video we could be prepared if we followed up. Obviously it is really going to happen in 2012 and you still have time prepare. I can't believe they were still running the ads the last week in 2011. Yes there are hundreds if not thousands who are in on the fraud and are now just realizing they were taken

Old 01-02-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Not in the financials, insurance and gov't.
Gotcha, when you said "there is more crime" I didn't know that meant a relatively small subsection of crimes that are white collar in nature. I believe overall crime is down.

Quote:
Suicide is a crime and it is at epic levels.
I didn't know suicide was a crime, that seems kinda silly. Regardless, how much is it up? "Epic" is so open-ended a term.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:49 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,985,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Gotcha, when you said "there is more crime" I didn't know that meant a relatively small subsection of crimes that are white collar in nature. I believe overall crime is down.
In terms of dollars and the destruction of the overall economy it's pretty big.

MF'n Global lost 1.2 Billion and counting. I wonder if the depositors are affected by that. Maybe some people will lose their jobs and maybe their homes.

Is that a crime to you? Or are you thinking rape, murder, and theft? are down...
I'd like to see that stat.

Quote:
I didn't know suicide was a crime, that seems kinda silly. Regardless, how much is it up? "Epic" is so open-ended a term.
It is. Attempted Suicide is obviously the only one that can be prosecuted.
Unless there is a helper.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:41 AM

9 posts, read 14,312 times
Yes, governments are trying to cover their sins. I have seen your video it’s really amazing I did not know this thing before.
I rely on Accounting Services UK

Old 01-03-2012, 07:13 AM

Quote:
In terms of dollars and the destruction of the overall economy it's pretty big. MF'n Global lost 1.2 Billion and counting. I wonder if the depositors are affected by that. Maybe some people will lose their jobs and maybe their homes.
Yes people (probably mostly wealthy investors) were impacted by meltdown of a derivatives broker, but that is insignificant compared to the impact on people's lives and economy from things like theft, robbery, murder, etc.

Quote:
Or are you thinking rape, murder, and theft? are down... I'd like to see that stat.
You are the one who made the climb crime is up so how about you provide the proof? You've got this nifty habit of throwing out whatever "facts" pop into your head to support your constant end-of-days chorus then when questioned on it suddenly dodging and weaving like in this case where the crime wave you speak of is suddenly trimmed down to financial crimes and suicide attempts.

From everything I've read crime in America has been trending down and continued to do so in 2011, so I'll leave it to you to demonstrate otherwise since you are the one making the claim it is higher.

Quote:
It is.
I ask again, what percentage are suicides up? You said it is "epic" so surely you have some hard figures right, that is such a strong word. Or is this another modeerf facts on the fly thing where you don't really know but throw it out there as a supporting argument anyway?

Old 01-03-2012, 07:36 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,701,903 times
People on here that use "epic" are the same ones who use the word "collapse".
It makes their posts more "read me!"

Old 01-03-2012, 08:38 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
You are the one who made the climb crime is up so how about you provide the proof? You've got this nifty habit of throwing out whatever "facts" pop into your head to support your constant end-of-days chorus then when questioned on it suddenly dodging and weaving like in this case where the crime wave you speak of is suddenly trimmed down to financial crimes and suicide attempts.

From everything I've read crime in America has been trending down and continued to do so in 2011, so I'll leave it to you to demonstrate otherwise since you are the one making the claim it is higher.

Let me supply the numbers for him, since he hasn't done it.

According to the FBI Uniform Crime Report, violent crime (murder, rape, robbery, arson) declined by 6 percent from 2010. Property crimes (theft, embezzlement, burglary) dropped by over 3% from 2010.

I wonder what Modeerf will say to this. I'm guessing it will be:

1. "The numbers are made up and are the result of a government conspiracy";
2. "Just you wait, tomorrow the numbers will skyrocket"; or
3. "I don't care about statistics, didn't you hear about the double murder down in Texas last week!"

Take your pick, he'll never concede he's wrong (even when he is).

And some people actually still take the kind of garbage he spouts seriously....

http://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/pre...stics-for-2011
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics