Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2011, 08:59 PM

11,759 posts, read 14,652,372 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this is the right place for this thread. I may be appointed to be parliamentarian of a large organization and I'm curious about what other practitioners would recommend as the best and easiest to use reference for Robert's Rules of Order.

Thanks, all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 09:12 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
I don't mean to sidestep your question, but I know you will get some good recommendations for simple guides from others, which is what you need, the simpler the better. But I have been secretary of a few organizations over the years and I have rarely seen a "parliamentary procedure" question come up. Of course they do from time to time when factions are warring, but typically not.

What does come up is the lack of familiarity with the bylaws or code of regulations. 99% of all matters that will come up are bylaw related. And, past practice is a huge factor. So, the first step if you have not already done this, is to learn the bylaws backward and forward, and then read every set of minutes for the last couple of years making note on what practices are embedded that may not be provided by regulation. Then, if there is no continuing resolution to adopt the practice which is in place being followed for say, the order of the meeting, suggest to the secretary that a continuing resolution affirming the procedure be adopted. What you don't want to do is raise points of order on procedure that has been followed by consent which is inconsistent with the bylaws. At least give them the chance to adopt it.

If your organization goes to war internally, try to get the corporate counsel to attend as a referee. Hopefully you won't have to go through that. But that is where you will be drilled as the parliamentarian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics