Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 07:17 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,354,674 times

Advertisements

I spent a couple summers in college working about 60 hours a week (factory work). By the time Sunday rolled around (usually the only day we had off), I would be so burnt out that I hardly felt like doing anything. Pretty much just stayed at home to relax. I was just a college kid then. I can't imagine doing that with a family and other commitments for any extended period of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 07:34 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,157,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Yeah, there' so much more to life than work. This time of year I like to ski when not working. Sometimes snowshoe. In summer, well hike, backpack, and mountain bike like mad. Work? When I'm doing all that stuff work is the last thing on my mind. Life's far too short to waste it away slaving away for an extra dollar. Find a passion, or two or three, and get out and live life. It beats looking out the office window and watching it pass you by.
Why the hell are you working the job you have if you feel that way? I feel sorry for anyone who chooses to have a job they hate like this.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:04 AM

6,888 posts, read 22,429,622 times
For me it is as an independent contractor looking for freelance opportunities I'll work whenever I can get it. Some days I sit here expecting work that never comes.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Why the hell are you working the job you have if you feel that way? I feel sorry for anyone who chooses to have a job they hate like this.
Where did he say he "hates his job?" I think you even acknowledge that your views on work are extreme and not the norm. If you are content with your career and life, that's great. However, just because other people have priorities higher than work, doesn't mean they automatically hate their job or are "unfulfilled."

Old 01-31-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Where did he say he "hates his job?" I think you even acknowledge that your views on work are extreme and not the norm. If you are content with your career and life, that's great. However, just because other people have priorities higher than work, doesn't mean they automatically hate their job or are "unfulfilled."
If you spend your time at your job staring out the window wishing you were doing something else, you hate your job. A job doesn't have to be 'work'.

My job rarely ever feels like 'work' to me. I hate this modern attitude that it is unacceptable to actually enjoy what you do for money.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:48 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,612,165 times
Quote:
If you spend your time at your job staring out the window wishing you were doing something else, you hate your job. A job doesn't have to be 'work'.

My job rarely ever feels like 'work' to me. I hate this modern attitude that it is unacceptable to actually enjoy what you do for money.
What you described sounded like modern day slavery no matter how you try to argue that you love it.

If it makes you happy, then we're all happy. But let's be honest that none of us wants your kind of job

Old 01-31-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
What you described sounded like modern day slavery no matter how you try to argue that you love it.

If it makes you happy, then we're all happy. But let's be honest that none of us wants your kind of job
So you would rather be miserable for 40+ hours/week than be paid to do something you enjoy?

How does that make sense?

Old 01-31-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
I think many people do enjoy their jobs (I know I do). Why that has to go hand in hand with working a huge amount of hours, according to you, is what I can't relate to.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:46 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,612,165 times
Quote:
So you would rather be miserable for 40+ hours/week than be paid to do something you enjoy?

How does that make sense?
I love my job. But anything more than 50 hours is slavery. If I'm working 80 hours, I better get paid in double.

You make it sound like 60 to 70 hours a week is okay. Do you even have time to take a dump?

Old 01-31-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I love my job. But anything more than 50 hours is slavery. If I'm working 80 hours, I better get paid in double.

You make it sound like 60 to 70 hours a week is okay. Do you even have time to take a dump?
60-70 hours is not a lot of time. This is exactly why I said America has become lazy.

Equating more than 50 hours to slavery is stupid, at best. I have more of a social life than many people who work 35-40 hour weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics