Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 02:28 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,423 times

Advertisements

If it's not a number I recognize, I ignore it. If it's important, they'll leave a voicemail. Easy enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 04:11 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
many of these companies do not do what they say. all they do is create calling lists they sell . they merely are confirming that their robo calls reached a working phone , that you actually answered the phone as most don't and even better they got you to react and do something like push 2 .

they then sell that pre-screened list to telemarketers and scammers

Old 11-06-2018, 10:46 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,111,289 times
Is there any doubt that the Federal government is incompetent to handle even simple issues? The volume of these scam calls is absolutely astounding. The scams may only work a very small percentage of time but the cost can be significant. The nuisance and wasted time for all of those scam calls is also significant. The DO NOT CALL list is a total sham because it is not enforced.

Just another example of how the government falls to provide any valuable services or protect its citizens. Its called cluster ...uck by anyone who has worked on the inside of these systems.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:44 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,783 times
LOL, this is probably they only time you'll hear me give the government a break.

I come from a law enforcement family and my dad (retired nyc detective) use to have a saying as soon as you shut one scammer down, 10 more pop up.

Do I want precious dollars spent to play "wackamole" with scammers who have the advantage of being able to close up s hop and move somewhere else in say 25 secs? no I do not.
Do I want tax dollars trying to "find" these folks who as we saw from the Nigeria scam could be anywhere?

IMO the best way to combat these problems is simple.
1) don't answer unrecognizable numbers
2) Due your "due diligence" on every single thing you get a call on, on everything you see on tv, every "to good to be true" service.

a scam only continues as long as they find marks for them. if they ain't getting people to bite, there is no scam

Old 11-07-2018, 07:43 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,252,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
LOL, this is probably they only time you'll hear me give the government a break.

I come from a law enforcement family and my dad (retired nyc detective) use to have a saying as soon as you shut one scammer down, 10 more pop up.

Do I want precious dollars spent to play "wackamole" with scammers who have the advantage of being able to close up s hop and move somewhere else in say 25 secs? no I do not.
Do I want tax dollars trying to "find" these folks who as we saw from the Nigeria scam could be anywhere?

IMO the best way to combat these problems is simple.
1) don't answer unrecognizable numbers
2) Due your "due diligence" on every single thing you get a call on, on everything you see on tv, every "to good to be true" service.

a scam only continues as long as they find marks for them. if they ain't getting people to bite, there is no scam
Exactly! Best reply I have ever read or seen on the whole ‘scam calls’ topic.

It boils down to common sense, especially for such ‘scams’ that require mostly social engineering to be successful. People, don’t be afraid to hang up on a telemarketer(!)

Old 11-07-2018, 08:19 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,802,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Exactly! Best reply I have ever read or seen on the whole ‘scam calls’ topic.

It boils down to common sense, especially for such ‘scams’ that require mostly social engineering to be successful. People, don’t be afraid to hang up on a telemarketer(!)

Better yet, don't even answer. We have a landline because cell service is not reliable here. We let every call go directly to the answering machine. If someone leaves a valid message, we return the call. I'd guess 60-70% of our calls are some type of robocall.

The FCC may do something, but I expect it will have limited effect.
https://gizmodo.com/fcc-tells-phone-...p-t-1830238930

Old 11-08-2018, 07:23 AM

4,141 posts, read 3,052,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Better yet, don't even answer. We have a landline because cell service is not reliable here. We let every call go directly to the answering machine. If someone leaves a valid message, we return the call. I'd guess 60-70% of our calls are some type of robocall.

The FCC may do something, but I expect it will have limited effect.
https://gizmodo.com/fcc-tells-phone-...p-t-1830238930
I read about the call authentication system recently. It seems promising, but it also seems like it is doing things the hard way.

Decades ago, Ohio Bell offered to provide Caller ID based on the system used for 1-800 numbers. When you call a 1-800 number they always have access to your number, because they are paying for your call. You cannot opt out or spoof this information. An unholy alliance of law enforcement and privacy rights activists successfully opposed this idea.

Just give me the same caller ID used for 1-800 numbers, plus the option to block all international calls. That's all I really need.

It occurred to me recently that if I could remember pressing 3 was the option to delete messages, then maybe I could delete messages without actually listening to them. My college alma mater has been trying to reach me. I have not been answering the phone because I do not want to talk to them. They left a message. I pressed 3 before they could say a single syllable, and deleted the message. Success! I will be doing this routinely now for calls from unfamiliar area codes, political calls, and charities.

Old 11-08-2018, 07:53 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Imagine a fire in a national park out west somewhere. It's not really a wildfire, but it keeps springing up in pockets all over the place and there are not quite enough firefighters to actually put it out, so every time they get one or even several put out, another will spring up over there. And there. And over there again. The truth is there are more scammers than there are federal, state, or county agents to stop them and they're more flexible and can move more quickly while the govt gets itself mired down in paperwork.
if you started shooting them, even if there are more of them, they will quite down because the loudest ones get shot <--- DNC party seems to operate this way, they go after everyone they dont agree with

they really need to make the punishment harsher and publicize it

Old 11-08-2018, 08:44 AM

4,141 posts, read 3,052,785 times
When I said that all I needed was the kind of caller ID that 1-800 numbers get and international call blocking, I forgot a couple of things.

I would like to see the Do Not Call list expanded to include options for non-profits, political calls, and surveys.

The Indiana ban on robocalls would also be nice. It was upheld by the Supreme Court:
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news...aw-070517.html

Old 11-08-2018, 01:34 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
The do not call list was an excellent idea, except that US laws can only be applied within the borders of the USA.

Those scam callers are located outside the country. There is nothing our government can do about them except to complain to the government of the country where they are located. Those governments don't want to stop the caller, because the callers are bringing in money into their country.

Really, it is the phone companies that should be controlling it. Block incoming calls that come in in bulk from foreign countries. ( if that is even possible )

They wouldn't do it if it wasn't making them lots of money. If the people receiving the calls would stop buying, the calls would stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics