Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 05:19 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,958,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
I feel your frustration, believe me. I once had this call come in and could hardly make out what they were saying. I then saw the number and ID comeback as a local hospital. I then called that number but they told me that it was the main switchboard and could not/would not tell me any more info. Weeks down the road, I found out that it could have been a fellow commuter who had passed away.
A lot of these scammes are able to spoof their number with someone elses number.
It would be very easy for the govt to put a stop to this but they are paid off to ignore it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 05:32 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,207,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
A lot of these scammes are able to spoof their number with someone elses number.
It would be very easy for the govt to put a stop to this but they are paid off to ignore it.
Technologically easy, or constitutionally easy? Exactly what law are the "scammers" breaking, other than violation of the DNC, and who has the burden of proof for a prosecution? The scammers have the same constitutional protections you have against willy-nilly accusations by people unwilling to fly to a federal courthouse to testify against them.

Who do you think pays off the government, how much, and who do they send the check to?

Old 01-04-2019, 09:49 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Technologically easy, or constitutionally easy? Exactly what law are the "scammers" breaking, other than violation of the DNC, and who has the burden of proof for a prosecution? The scammers have the same constitutional protections you have against willy-nilly accusations by people unwilling to fly to a federal courthouse to testify against them.

Who do you think pays off the government, how much, and who do they send the check to?

It's not unconstitutional to pass a law that the telcos can't allow any CallerID to be delivered that aren't authenticated. When I make a phone call from my cell phone, Verizon knows it's my phone and can easily authenticate it. I can then make any call without CallerID go directly to voice mail. Pass the law. Give everyone 5 years to comply with the law. Problem solved.

Old 01-05-2019, 02:51 AM

Any such law might affect my right to make phone calls with privacy, and then might be unconstitutional. And there are also international treaties that any such laws would have to be compliant with, concerning callls originating outside the US. Not to mention the enforcement of laws, including those we already have, which we do not enforce. Problem not solved.

Old 01-06-2019, 04:16 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Any such law might affect my right to make phone calls with privacy, and then might be unconstitutional. And there are also international treaties that any such laws would have to be compliant with, concerning callls originating outside the US. Not to mention the enforcement of laws, including those we already have, which we do not enforce. Problem not solved.

There is no "International caller ID treaty". You can choose to answer calls without an authenticated CallerID or not. Me? Straight to voice mail. If it's someone who really needs to talk to me, they can leave a message and I'll call them back.

I've spent my career in the telecom business. I was Chief Architect at a company where millions of homes were using our infrastructure. This isn't a technical problem. It's a regulatory problem. The FCC should have come down hard on this a decade ago and didn't. The industry is now slowly solving the problem with a solution with the cutsie acronym SHAKEN/STIR but it will take easily 5+ years to roll it out because there are no penalties for not implementing the solution.

Old 01-06-2019, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
There is no "International caller ID treaty"
Didn't say there was. But there are treaties that would impede the US efforts to run roughshod over the rights of global users. In fact, that may by why there is no international caller ID restrictions. Just as the current administration wants to get out of the Universal Postal Union the minute it no longer favors US interests..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics