U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 02:48 PM

1,185 posts, read 691,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Better yet, don't even answer. We have a landline because cell service is not reliable here. We let every call go directly to the answering machine. If someone leaves a valid message, we return the call. I'd guess 60-70% of our calls are some type of robocall.

The FCC may do something, but I expect it will have limited effect.
https://gizmodo.com/fcc-tells-phone-...p-t-1830238930
We do, too. I do not not answer unless the machine gives me a name that i know then will pick up. If I am outside, the answering machine will take a message. Otherwise, I just ignore. Cell phone, i just block.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 03:08 PM

989 posts, read 548,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
What can be done to stop these punks?
It depends on how much time you want to spend on it.

The issue is that in the advent of nomadic VoIP, a call can be made from anywhere to anywhere. These scam companies buy up blocks of numbers from VoIP providers, then it's off to the races.

What you can do, if you're so inclined, is find out who ultimately owns the telephone number and file a report with their legal department. Note: This is the legal department of the VoIP provider, not the legal department of whoever is scamming/spamming you. All of these carriers will cancel the subscriber if complaints are made. All you do is google "NPA NXX Lookup" and you can choose your lookup site. Enter in the NPA (Area Code) and NXX (first 3 digits). It will return the owner of the number.

Go to the carrier's website, and look for the "legal" link, and follow it from there. One of the sites I was on the other day actually had a form specific to this. Tell the legal department that you are being spammed and give any information you're able to give.

I worked for a nationwide VoIP provider and sat next to the legal department. I've heard them call up these types of companies and tell them they're no longer welcome here. Does it stop the issue in totality? No these scammers can go to another carrier but it at least disrupts them to the extent that any potential victim cannot call them back because the number has been disconnected.

Hope that helps!

Old 11-08-2018, 03:10 PM

9,946 posts, read 5,805,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
How does ignore them stop them? I'm not mainly concerned about the annoyance of them calling me. I'm concerned that they call people who don't understand that it's a scam and scam them out of money. The next call they make may be to my grandma, or your grandma, and most grandmas don't have enough money to afford losing some in a scam.

I understand that the government don't have the resources to go after every scammer everywhere but I wish that they at least did something to warn the public about the big ones like these.
Perhaps this link will help some:
https://www.fbi.gov/scams-and-safety...-fraud-schemes

Old 11-09-2018, 02:55 AM

2,288 posts, read 839,960 times
They are almosy impossible to prosecute because if presumption of innocence and burden of proof, and they haven't really illlegally gotten any money from you, have they? With rare exceptions, they have only violat ed Do not Call rules.

Old 11-09-2018, 10:26 AM

2,233 posts, read 2,291,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The do not call list was an excellent idea, except that US laws can only be applied within the borders of the USA.

Those scam callers are located outside the country. There is nothing our government can do about them except to complain to the government of the country where they are located. Those governments don't want to stop the caller, because the callers are bringing in money into their country.

Really, it is the phone companies that should be controlling it. Block incoming calls that come in in bulk from foreign countries. ( if that is even possible )

They wouldn't do it if it wasn't making them lots of money. If the people receiving the calls would stop buying, the calls would stop.

The robocallers need a very tiny response to keep making money. They can sell the live numbers to another robocaller even if they don't 'make a sale.' So, they will continue until that money is somehow reduced.

The Telcos also make money on the robocallers. First, they are paid to handle those calls. Second, they can then sell services (like caller ID) to stop the calls (which caller ID will not do because so many numbers are spoofed).
https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-rob...wer-1528104600

Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM

989 posts, read 548,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post

The Telcos also make money on the robocallers. First, they are paid to handle those calls. Second, they can then sell services (like caller ID) to stop the calls (which caller ID will not do because so many numbers are spoofed).
https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-rob...wer-1528104600
Telcos make money on robocallers in the same manner that Ziploc makes money on drug dealers. They are not knowingly complicit in the activities.

In fact, as I posted above, the Telco I worked for actively "fired" any customers suspected of spam. We (and every other Telco I know of) took this seriously.

Old Today, 04:03 AM

2,288 posts, read 839,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Telcos make money on robocallers in the same manner that Ziploc makes money on drug dealers. They are not knowingly complicit in the activities.

In fact, as I posted above, the Telco I worked for actively "fired" any customers suspected of spam. We (and every other Telco I know of) took this seriously.
Don't the big ones call into the US on international lines, paying the telco in a banana republic the bulk of their revenue, which they are perfectly happy to solicit?

Old Today, 11:18 AM

4,582 posts, read 3,036,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
If it's not a number I recognize, I ignore it. If it's important, they'll leave a voicemail. Easy enough.
Same here. Actual calls have decreased immeasurably.

Old Today, 11:24 AM

2,233 posts, read 2,291,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Don't the big ones call into the US on international lines, paying the telco in a banana republic the bulk of their revenue, which they are perfectly happy to solicit?

Yes. From the article:
The recipientís carrier pays a small fee for that information request when it delivers a name, typically between $0.0025 and $0.005, according to people who operate the databases. Some databases then pass a portion of that micropayment back to the company that controls the calling phone number, the company completing the call or their client.

Old Today, 01:27 PM

5,633 posts, read 4,233,814 times
We all understand the basics of these scam calls. The government has the tools needed and could end this huge waste of people's time. Fines for violating the DNC are up to $40,000 for each violation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics