Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 12:28 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,456,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Not really. I cannot begin to imagine how many family members and friends have my phone number and might need or want to reach me. Changing numbers solves nothing. You will continue to get calls at the new number.

I rarely answer the phone anymore. Sadly that means I also miss a lot of calls I would want to take.
This. The bottom line is that the constant ringing drives you insane. I hate teleworking from home because the phone rings from morning until evening. I prefer the office where there is peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 04:02 PM

7,643 posts, read 4,589,722 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOJgTOTOdVA

Have fun?

Old 12-20-2018, 02:07 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
If you/re going to post a 12-minute video, give us a hint about the subject or contents.

Old 12-20-2018, 10:30 AM

7,643 posts, read 4,589,722 times
Its a truncated video of a guy who harasses a scammer office. Basically these scammers do this for a living, like a day job. Sometimes they get tricked into thinking they'll be working for a legitimate IT company and get trained, only to then realize they have to "borrow" money to buy their office equipment and can't leave until it's paid off. You've got the "threat" kind that seek to frighten or trick someone into sending money to not get punished. You've got the "prize" kind that are going to give you money of some sort but you have to send them money for the shipping charge or account verification. Finally you have the computer support kind that talk you through giving them access to your computer where they will attempt to steal financial information and/or syskey your computer to put a password on your files and sell it to you.

The phone vids are pretty boring normally because it just takes too long. This one is nice because he's truncated out all the additional. They used to have some nice vids of people with modest hacking ability who would trick the scammer and actually get access of the scammer's computer and delete the computer's System32 files, meaning they need to start from the beginning, or they would attack the entire department, steal files to contact victims and send on to the government...but technically that's against the law and Youtube either took them down or said the anti-scammers wouldn't be paid for videos of illegal actions.

This vid has a nice spin in that I think he would use conference call to connect two scammers to each other. Which is rather creative. I recall one that would connect rival scammers with each other. It would be better if I understood Hindi but he effectively got the two groups mad at each other for messing up each other's operations. One would call the real IRS and once they were through connect to a fake IRS site.

Oh, I should warn that a lot of these have foul language. These scammers can get upset.

Old 12-20-2018, 05:52 PM

Thanks. It was worth watching, alll you needed to do was explain it..

Old 12-26-2018, 01:10 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
In many places government approves of scammers.
Examples

In Florida it is legal to start a "service contract company" that fakes as an insurance company and sell policies to elderly who can't tell the difference. The org they belong to has a strong lobbying arm so Rick Scott approved.

In Florida it used to be the nursing homes were non-profit or limited in scope. You couldn't have national chains owned by "investment companies" because it was known that they would not care as well for the elderly. Well...turns out the guy who owned a few and wanted to go BIG had connections in Tallahassee. Now they can do what they want...

The Government could do something about phone calls...just like Texas and Florida could do e-verify and get more accomplished than yapping about a Wall. But they don't - for the sake of business (that is often tied in with the governments).

I promise you that the large mail-order companies are in the Halls of Congress....and those companies lobby against anything that would give customers a right to privacy.

Old 01-02-2019, 02:19 PM

1 posts, read 502 times
People say just ignore numbers you don't know, but that's easier said than done when you're throwing out dozens of applications every day and hopefully waiting for a call back from one of them for an interview. Plus they just use a different number every time so you can never just block them. I tried an app once that blocked out all calls but those from your contacts list, but again that ran into conflict when searching for a job. And even when I did have a job they seemed to have like 15+ different numbers they called me from, same with the hospital and other such things. So it wasn't as easy as just sticking an approved number in contacts, I kept missing calls from people I didn't want to so I stopped using it. I just have to live with getting scam calls 3-7 times a day for the rest of my life I guess. It's a real pain in the ass, especially when one of those halfwits doesn't set their time zone correctly and ends up calling you at 2am. I want to murder these people with my bare hands some days.

Last edited by Jakkon; 01-02-2019 at 02:33 PM..

Old 01-03-2019, 05:02 AM

19,496 posts, read 9,525,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakkon View Post
People say just ignore numbers you don't know, but that's easier said than done when you're throwing out dozens of applications every day and hopefully waiting for a call back from one of them for an interview. Plus they just use a different number every time so you can never just block them. I tried an app once that blocked out all calls but those from your contacts list, but again that ran into conflict when searching for a job. And even when I did have a job they seemed to have like 15+ different numbers they called me from, same with the hospital and other such things. So it wasn't as easy as just sticking an approved number in contacts, I kept missing calls from people I didn't want to so I stopped using it. I just have to live with getting scam calls 3-7 times a day for the rest of my life I guess. It's a real pain in the ass, especially when one of those halfwits doesn't set their time zone correctly and ends up calling you at 2am. I want to murder these people with my bare hands some days.
I feel your frustration, believe me. I once had this call come in and could hardly make out what they were saying. I then saw the number and ID comeback as a local hospital. I then called that number but they told me that it was the main switchboard and could not/would not tell me any more info. Weeks down the road, I found out that it could have been a fellow commuter who had passed away.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:43 PM

Its the law of diminishing returns. How much of your freedom to use your phone are you willing to give up, in order to deny abusers their freedom? This dichotomy pervades the entire criminal justice system, and is approaching a crisis.

I do have a question. Why don't scammers and robocallers call 24 hours a day, and make your phone ring all night? What is their incentive to limit their activities?

Last edited by cebuan; 01-03-2019 at 07:54 PM..

Old 01-04-2019, 05:12 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,957,018 times
When I get these calls from scammers, and what I would like to do to them, makes me think of a movie from the 80s where a man sends a 100,000 volts to the caller and turns their phone into a bomb.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0081203/

Of course the guy gets carried away killing anyone and everyone until his call gets traced that somehow reverses the voltage back to himself lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics