Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 07:54 PM

43 posts, read 89,783 times

Advertisements

I visited the Dave Ramsey website, under the getting started > budgeting section, and the lowest monthly income is $3,000

At work, Vanguard had one of their representatives come out and give a retirement class. In the pamphlet they handed there was a chart giving examples of how much money one could theoretically earn over the years (401k), and the lowest wage they had on the chart was $30,000.

I could continue with Suze Orman, this forum itself ("Business, Finance, and Investing"), and on...

I get it, i'm a looser. I try but my whole childehood was abusive, I have SAD, and latter I ended up with combat PTSD. I'm gathered and doing better, but at the age of 29 years and only making $11.86 an hour at a warehouse - with no direction in life, I just want to die
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 08:00 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,162,314 times
well you could find a SO and then have a $45K joint income if they are making the same as you are

Old 04-22-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
well you could find a SO and then have a $45K joint income if they are making the same as you are
what do you mean?

Old 04-22-2012, 08:06 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valker View Post
what do you mean?
Get married to someone who works and double your income. Of course you increase your expenses also, and then along comes kids.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Get married to someone who works and double your income. Of course you increase your expenses also, and then along comes kids.
I don't think those charts factor in couple income?

And I'm not getting married, or having kids anytime soon... jerks. No one in their right mind would want to be with me anyway.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:16 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,124,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valker View Post
I visited the Dave Ramsey website, under the getting started > budgeting section, and the lowest monthly income is $3,000

At work, Vanguard had one of their representatives come out and give a retirement class. In the pamphlet they handed there was a chart giving examples of how much money one could theoretically earn over the years (401k), and the lowest wage they had on the chart was $30,000.

I could continue with Suze Orman, this forum itself ("Business, Finance, and Investing"), and on...

I get it, i'm a looser. I try but my whole childehood was abusive, I have SAD, and latter I ended up with combat PTSD. I'm gathered and doing better, but at the age of 29 years and only making $11.86 an hour at a warehouse - with no direction in life, I just want to die
I'm medically retired from the Marine Corps due to physical injuries to my feet and spine. I also have PTSD from combat in Iraq.
Last year my income was my pension, and the GI bill as I went to school.
I'm also 29.

I currently make over $2k/week and was just offered a $130k/year job.

Man up, go see the VA if you need help and put the skills you have gained to use!

Feel free to contact me if you need advise on dealing with the VA

Old 04-22-2012, 08:17 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,132,345 times
The government cares.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:20 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,284,410 times
This is QUITE interesting!

I just got a note from a friend who has been looking for work for a LONG time. He just got a job making $10.00 an hour and he is happy as all get out!

So I guess it is how you look at these things.

I would suggest not looking at these sites where they imply people should be making 30K. That is nonsense. Many people I know (who are lucky enough to have jobs) are making near minimum wage.

So you are doing better than they are. Read the "Work and Employment" section on this forum. Many people there who are having a *very* difficult time finding any work. Maybe that will make you feel a bit better?

So far as the SAD, if that is the seasonal thing, and if you live in an area where it is constantly cloudy this time of year, turning on all the lights in the house for a while can help.

Anything we can do to help? Why were you looking at those investment sites?

You don't necessarily need to have a ton of money to make investments and make money. In theory, if you learn about investments and find something which works, you could turn a few hundred dollars into much more.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:20 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
me too. an old warehouse guy from way back probably some ptsd too.
but i made up my mind to not die instead to disappoint my enemies.
u can do it.
think small. work 2 jobs, buy a small fixer upper when its low market fix it up. rent out a room pay it off. get another do it again domino effect keep at it. dont marry or have kids.
never never hang with losers. dont debt. avoid bars like lice. dont drink or smoke or do dope. make good friends in churches and self improvement classes.
u can do it. if u find u r stable enough, take some trade classes and move up a bit but dont go crazy wth ambition easy does it. the race goes to the slow and sure not the fast and furious. .
daily be grateful for every single dime that comes your way.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
I'm medically retired from the Marine Corps due to physical injuries to my feet and spine. I also have PTSD from combat in Iraq.
Last year my income was my pension, and the GI bill as I went to school.
I'm also 29.

I currently make over $2k/week and was just offered a $130k/year job.

Man up, go see the VA if you need help and put the skills you have gained to use!

Feel free to contact me if you need advise on dealing with the VA
That sounds incredibly fantastic for you! In all regards, I'm washed away and my mind is a race. I would not make it through a four year college.

Semper Fidelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
...So you are doing better than they are. Read the "Work and Employment" section on this forum. Many people there who are having a *very* difficult time finding any work. Maybe that will make you feel a bit better?
I was unemployed for 1 year, even drove all the way down to Texas for an interview only to be laughed at

I suppose I'm being selfish, but what do I make of all these investment institutes and gurus?

Quote:
So far as the SAD, if that is the seasonal thing, and if you live in an area where it is constantly cloudy this time of year, turning on all the lights in the house for a while can help.
Social Anxiety Disorder... don't even look it up, trust me, 99% of the population simply will not understand even if they try.

Quote:
Anything we can do to help? Why were you looking at those investment sites?....
I'm worried about retirement, I'm not sure if I will ever make a decent income and SS looks like a goner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
me too. an old warehouse guy from way back probably some ptsd too.
but i made up my mind to not die instead to disappoint my enemies.
u can do it.
think small. work 2 jobs, buy a small fixer upper when its low market fix it up. rent out a room pay it off. get another do it again domino effect keep at it. dont marry or have kids.
never never hang with losers. dont debt. avoid bars like lice. dont drink or smoke or do dope. make good friends in churches and self improvement classes.
u can do it. if u find u r stable enough, take some trade classes and move up a bit but dont go crazy wth ambition easy does it. the race goes to the slow and sure not the fast and furious. .
daily be grateful for every single dime that comes your way.
Never smoked (doesn't kill you fast enough), don't drink, probably will never get married because I haven't even had a girlfriend

The trades seem shattered during these economic times; its hard to get into the electrician apprenticeship in my area, resumes just don't cut it (they throw them away); after knocking on some doors and passing a couple of tests I did have a panel interview, but I didn't make it. In fact, it was a complete disaster. Even if I did, half of those guys are laid off right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics