Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 01:22 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times

Advertisements

These are the "Welfare Queens" that are sucking our economy dry.............

****ing Welfare Queens - Democratic Underground
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 01:32 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Those "welfare queens" give me and lots of other folks jobs...

Old 08-05-2012, 03:23 PM

5,480 posts, read 6,305,303 times
Quote:
And pay billions back in taxes. The first word I see on that page in an F bomb. Nice. My 401K balance dipped about 40% as well in 2008, and it's bounced back VERY nicely, well over and above what I've contributed to it since. Quit posting links to this anti-establishment, class warfare crap, nobody outside of OWS really believes this BS anyway.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:20 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Yes. But they also cost a lot money to provide each one of those jobs. If jobs were the point, there are far more effective welfare-to-work programs. The military is about the least effectual form of welfare available... which is rather irrelevant as that isn't its purpose.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:39 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Interesting. I guess you folk's just see this as a negative where I see it as a catch 22.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:52 PM

409 posts, read 497,865 times
Gawd.. people really need to **** about the F-22. We made them stealth so we can shoot down enemy fighters before they can engage us in a dogfight.

Not to mention we actually need those fighter jets. Our F-15 airframes are falling apart and will become more expensive to maintain and fly because of metal fatigue.

But dude, some of this anti-military budget thing is just getting stupid. You wanna cut the DoD budget in half, you'll potentially throw off the balance of power in Asia, not to mention what are you gonna do with the hundreds of thousands of unemployed coming back from overseas and from the loss of military R&D and production? What about the fact that the majority of hour DoD budget funds the USN, which bascially is the only force that can guarantee safety on the seas.

What are you gonna do about our aging airframes and the fact that several other countries are trying to catch up to our technological parity on the battlefield? I agree that the DoD contracts should be given with more vetting like the whole YF-23, F-22, and JSF boondogle. Not to mention wasteful private contractors which has really reduced our own logistical abilities.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:54 PM

5,480 posts, read 6,305,303 times
Quote:
If jobs were the point, there are far more effective welfare-to-work programs.
WRONG. There is no such thing as an effective welfare-to-work program. People NEED to have the safety net pulled out from under them in order to force them to realize that they NEED to work. As long as they have a safety net to soften the blow of leaving the workforce, they will continue to do so. Trust me, I've seen it in several friends of mine who have played the unemployment game to the fullest over the last several years. Had they not had two years of unemployment extensions to fall back on, they would have gone back to work MUCH sooner than they did. The so called safety net gave them an excuse not to go back, and for no reason other than they didn't have too. I actually had one friend say to me " Why should I go back to work when I can make just as much by collecting?" When I pointed out to her that she wasn't making anything, and that she was taking, the difference was lost on her. Needless to say, we are no longer very close friends. If you provide squirrels with a platter full of nuts, they will quickly forget how to forage for their own. Take away that platter, and they will remember how to hunt for their own nuts very quickly.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:59 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Same here, although there isn't a social service nonprofit on this planet that wouldn't like to be put out of business.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:18 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,838,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
The so called safety net gave them an excuse not to go back, and for no reason other than they didn't have too. I actually had one friend say to me " Why should I go back to work when I can make just as much by collecting?" When I pointed out to her that she wasn't making anything, and that she was taking, the difference was lost on her. Needless to say, we are no longer very close friends. If you provide squirrels with a platter full of nuts, they will quickly forget how to forage for their own. Take away that platter, and they will remember how to hunt for their own nuts very quickly.
the essence of that is true for sure, but what happens when there are no jobs out there?

then what do you do - ie: no job and no welfare.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:43 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
There was one welfare queen when I was growing up in LA. She lived in Ladera Heights, a very nice part of LA where black professionals are well represented. The story broke and it made the LA Times. She had furs, a Cadillac and about 10 different fictitious names. Some of them were really creative ... stuff like Althenya Evans and such.

Yes, both funny and sad...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics