Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2010, 05:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,978 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm actually not sure what all this forum is about, I just happened upon (via Google) a post where a student was asking about suggestions for professional level certifications and such, so I figured I could ask a few questions as well.

I have a B.S. degree in Computer Science and am currently pursuing my MBA (half-way done). Unfortunately however, I have fairly limited work experience, and what I do have is quite varied (a bit of software development, some web design, call center tech support, etc.). Additionally, I have built and repaired several computers and am proficient with a variety of software, especially Microsoft Office (am a MOS Master & MCAS). I prefer the system/network administration side of IT over programming, and am planning on obtaining the MCSE:S and CCNA:S certifications.

The "catch," so-to-speak, though is that I also very much enjoy accounting and am even looking into getting my CPA and CMA. So I guess my primary question is how do I combine the IT and Accounting fields? What type of jobs or positions would entail both? I found the CITP credential for CPA's, which is very intriguing to me. I have thought about Information Systems Auditing (becoming a CISA), but don't know much about it. Are there other avenues as well which might better merge these aspects?

Also, I would like to gain some "real world" experience in the accounting field but even though I've had several accounting and finance courses on both the undergraduate and graduate levels, my degree is in a different field so I am finding this difficult. I know the recession makes it even more so, but any suggestions along these lines would also be quite welcome.

Links:
MCSE:S - [url=http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcse.aspx#specialization2]Microsoft Learning: Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE)[/url]
CCNA:S - [url=http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le2/le0/le1/learning_certification_type_home.html]CCNA Security - Career Certifications & Paths - Cisco Systems[/url]
CITP - Overview of The Certified Information Technology Professional Credential (http://infotech.aicpa.org/Memberships/Overview+of+The+Certified+Information+Technology+P rofessional+Credential.htm - broken link)
CISA - CISA Certification (http://www.isaca.org/Template.cfm?Section=CISA_Certification&Template=/TaggedPage/TaggedPageDisplay.cfm&TPLID=16&ContentID=4526 - broken link)

Last edited by ncorn; 03-16-2010 at 06:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 05:52 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,666,302 times
My first thought was IT auditing, which you mentioned. Another option could be something related to Accounting Systems--maybe ERP implementations. I work in public accounting, and did a rotation in the IT auditing group. There were a lot of people with a CS background. I also know that the IT audit people occasionally assist the regular financial statement audit team during busy season in my office.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:28 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,113,493 times
You might try the big Accounting firms. Go to their websites and look at their careers page and what positions they are offering.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:38 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,161,858 times
Database Administrator is a good combo for both of those. In addition, working IT for an office that primarily specializes in accounting would give you a leg up.

Unfortunatley, your accounting knowledge will help you much further along in IT, then your IT knowledge will help you in accounting. Its practically useless in an accounting setting. In fact, working with accountants most of my "career", they are some of the most computer illiterate people in any given organization. The only thing IT knowledge will get you is a free ticket to go around fixing your accounting peers computer problems when they cant get a hold of IT.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:05 PM

36 posts, read 70,591 times
I thought to be an accountant you needed to have a very special set of courses which pretty much take up your whole degree?

Old 08-16-2012, 08:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,234 times
I am the Practice Manager at an accounting firm and although most people think this is just an office manager/receptionist position, I have become very well-versed in IT, as well as building client relationships over the past four years of working at the firm. Although the staff are somewhat computer illiterate, they rely on software and computers to do everything, which requires a tremendous amount of work from IT. Needless to say, it is very satisfying from my perspective. I recently completed several different software implementations as well as transitioning to cloud-computing for some of our most mission-critical business functions. The projects involved many months of planning, analysis, tests, and we are now reaping the benefits. My long-term goal is to transition the company into a virtual business. I too am considering getting a masters in accounting and IT and becoming certified. The company will likely go through some major changes when the partners retire in a few years and I want to be prepared to transition with the company and hopefully be promoted to either a IT Director position or to a staff CPA / IT business consulting position. Like you, I am looking for professionals that have already reached those points in their careers.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:58 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,803,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncorn View Post
The "catch," so-to-speak, though is that I also very much enjoy accounting and am even looking into getting my CPA and CMA. So I guess my primary question is how do I combine the IT and Accounting fields? What type of jobs or positions would entail both? I found the CITP credential for CPA's, which is very intriguing to me. I have thought about Information Systems Auditing (becoming a CISA), but don't know much about it. Are there other avenues as well which might better merge these aspects?
Just on IT audit, a lot of the large global companies domiciled in the US keep their large IT audit staffs overseas in countries like the Philippines and India. From there they travel to the different regions to perform the periodic audits and return to the home countries when the audits are done. Maybe Canada may still have demand for domestic IT audit people.

I would assume that the same could apply to fields entailing limited-term implementation projects like ERP but I'm not sure (I have seen this happen occasionally in my former employer). IT audit assignments could take weeks (ie, no need for an H1/L1 visa) while ERP implementations could take months or years, which explains why audit is friendlier to overseas staff.

If you're into computer science, why not just take an MS and get into artificial intelligence or MIS?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics