Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 11:55 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times

Advertisements

How much we drive in important when you consider the economy as far as shopping goes or the number of people commuting to work.

Like they say......"Follow the money".....to see that Boomers are going to spend less and less driving and buying more stuff.

Older boomers help shift driving trends into reverse | Grist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 09:53 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,325,639 times
However, if one believes *how much* we drive has no bearing on the economy (except in gasoline consumption and auto maintenence) then we can talk about internet purchases, living closer to shopping and work, using mass transit, etc.

The article is obvious fluff (like an article about how rainwater seeks sea level). I guess when writers have nothing to write about they write about nothing.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:09 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
The older boomers are dying off anyway. A bigger issue is the younger people who are no longer interested in driving. Fewer even getting a drivers license.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:43 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
The older boomers are dying off anyway. A bigger issue is the younger people who are no longer interested in driving. Fewer even getting a drivers license.
Why should they?

Driving sucks. Traffic. Maintenance. Gas. Headaches. All the while breathing in toxic fumes from other cars by the thousands and thousands every single day and getting fatter by sitting on a fat ass while stuck in traffic just so we can go to an oversized lot in a suburb with nothing to do but sit on that same fat ass and watch TV. It's a money sink in more ways than one and I'd argue destroying what little is left of real American culture.

Blah. No thanks. Gen Y has better things to do with their time. Whatever it is. It just isn't driving.

I drive because I have to, but I cut my commute from 1 hr each way to 10 minutes, and am thinking of riding my bike and teaching my kids the virtues of riding a bike and getting exercise.

I do enjoy driving when I have an open road going to a destination that is sufficiently removed from civilization. Otherwise, I take the train or fly and take the bus.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:53 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,325,639 times
Quote:
While true it's a situation related to their current age. Younger people are more likely to live in urbanized areas where an auto isn't necessary. However, I'm betting, once they get married and start having families thier attitudes, like every generation before them, will begin to change.

Hopefully, however, they will continue to encourage a new way of development which puts places to live and work in close proximity to each other (co-housing movement).

Old 08-30-2012, 10:13 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
While true it's a situation related to their current age. Younger people are more likely to live in urbanized areas where an auto isn't necessary. However, I'm betting, once they get married and start having families thier attitudes, like every generation before them, will begin to change.

Hopefully, however, they will continue to encourage a new way of development which puts places to live and work in close proximity to each other (co-housing movement).
I haven't been around long enough to know whether that is true or not ...

But at least here in Seattle, every young couple with kids I know are moving back to the cities. They want their kids to grow up with culture and experience the city.

Me personally I had enough of the city when I lived there LOL! So I moved to the burbs (and I work in the burbs anyway so it is OK).

Old 08-31-2012, 07:57 AM

981 posts, read 1,620,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
However, I'm betting, once they get married and start having families thier attitudes, like every generation before them, will begin to change.
I am not so sure about that. Automobiles are prohibitively expensive to the point that I've never owned one even though I am nearing 27 at this point. I do not see that relenting at all.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:49 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Be careful about where you are being pushed/nudged by various websites and articles. There is a shadow movement to make the suburbs disappear and be incorporated into the large cities so the cities can tap into the wealth of the suburbs.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:40 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
The "older boomers" just turned 65 two years ago. It's the Silent generation that you might be thinking of. The height of boomer births was 1957 so we're on the uphill side of a generation entering retirement.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:41 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,541,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Be careful about where you are being pushed/nudged by various websites and articles. There is a shadow movement to make the suburbs disappear and be incorporated into the large cities so the cities can tap into the wealth of the suburbs.
It is called Economic Reality.

If that is the "shadow" of which you speak, it is real.

We do not have the fantasy "growth," money, energy and wealth we (USA) made-believe we did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics