Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 07:30 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irvparkrez11 View Post
No, I'm just curious.

Thanks for your answers! What about if there was a disincentive for the cashier who doesn't make as much money - that is, the cashier who earns less money is fired. Would the regular cashier initiate discount wars with the cashier who has offered 30% off?
Depends. The regular cashiers would of course offer bigger discounts. However, the manager would not allow it (nor would the manager allow one cashier to offer a 30% discount!). You could balance this by paying cashiers a commission. Then they might offer discounts to attract customers, but by doing so they would be reducing their income. So they would only offer a discount high enough to attract customers from other lines.

This whole concept is too theoretical and impractical because cashiers don't have the freedom to offer discounts. I like the gas station analogy better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 02:15 PM

117 posts, read 302,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
This whole concept is too theoretical and impractical because cashiers don't have the freedom to offer discounts.
Well, unless the discount would come from the cashiers' pay.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:45 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
There would be an equilibrium discount, which may or may not be 30%, and would probably vary by time of day or time of week or time of month. Assuming a 24-hour supermarket, I'd go in at 3 am and go to the empty discount register and be first in line.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:06 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvparkrez11 View Post
There's an economics principle of equilibrium, an example of which is when one previously closed cash register opens, people fill up that line till all of the lines are even. What if people stood in the longest line because the cashier offered 30% off of their groceries if they went stayed in that line (in other words, no equilibrium) and the newly-opened cash register would remain empty? Assuming there's no incentive (other than you get fired if no one goes to your cash register), what would be the long-term effects of such a decision by the cashier? I'm just wondering .
Well it is theft by the cashier at the least.A thef is a thef.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:05 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,095 times
If that 30% also means I'm paying zero or they are giving me cash back with that money saved... I'm there!

Old 09-15-2012, 06:30 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Like the system is now, you can go to the supermarket and wait in line or to the convenience store (if they have what you want) pay more but almost never have to wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics