U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 08:53 PM

29,730 posts, read 47,507,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Overview: Dollar sinks amid concerns over US market - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Okay

Does this sliding effect you personally?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 05:54 AM

4,428 posts, read 5,493,806 times
Default That's what the forums for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Okay

Nope. Just keeping tabs on what going on. Looking to spur conversation on the dollar. That's what the forums for.

Oh and this.

"VIENNA, Austria - Oil prices held near $90 a barrel Friday, a barrier crossed for the first time in after-hours trading in New York on speculative buying.

ADVERTISEMENT

Investors are being drawn to energy futures as a hedge against the weakening U.S. dollar. That, plus worries over tensions between Turkey and Kurdish rebels in northern Iraq, has lifted crude oil prices to new records for five straight days."

Oil prices hold near $90 a barrel - Yahoo! News (broken link)

Granted could start another tread about this particular issue. But I figured it was close enough.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:53 AM

6,797 posts, read 6,121,348 times
A strong dollar is always better. The strength of the currency is a direct reflection of the strength of the economy. The argument that a weak dollar is good for exports is short sighted propaganda. There is no free lunch, lowering the value of the dollar makes the cost of everything go up eventualy. It is in effect a pay cut for every worker, it rewards debt and discurages saving. It is a result of lower confidence in the goverment and the economic strength of the country.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:15 PM

2,197 posts, read 6,593,924 times
I think the tipping point is past on the dollar. Now, we are just trying to hang on to what we have and keep the dollar from plunging into oblivion.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:43 PM

4,428 posts, read 5,493,806 times
Default dodge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Okay

Sorry FBK. I was in a rush this morning and only read over comment quickly. wasn't trying to dodge.
Ok so how does it effect me. Well who doesn't effect. I don't see good thing in the long run for us.

1. I boils down to ROI for china they buy our debt and our currency because they expect to get a good ROI on there investment. Yes? So as you can see the dollar is not strong as of late. I think this in the end is going to make the Chinese think twice about investing into the U.S. currency and debt market. If they bail. Then for the most part it game over for the life style we are living right now. Even though for some reason I think Arab countries will pour billion into the U.S. It still won't be enough to save us if china pulls out.

2. Now I know thing are looking good on the exports side for America us product will get cheaper to buy which will make the U.S. more competitive in exports. But you have to ask yourself what does America really make anymore? What do we export?
The only thing we technically make in any volume and export is food items. And yes I expect the U.S. to make some hay with that But America as a producer of manufactured goods is really non-existent anymore. And even with good export prices, our cost of labor is still to high to justify anyone doing any large scale industrial development in this country again. So really the export situation is rather moot for the long term view.

3. With the weak dollar export are going to go up if I'm not mistaken. And again you have to ask yourself what don't we import? So import prices go up that leads to whole sale price and retail prices to go up which in the end will lead to the dollar weakness to effect me and pretty much all U.S. consumers. We're going to have to pay more in the end for a lot of items. Which effect most peoples bottom lines in the end.

Now overall I not as concern about #2 and 3 in the long term. But #1 I'm concerned about I really don't want to see the rug get pulled out from under us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
I think the tipping point is past on the dollar. Now, we are just trying to hang on to what we have and keep the dollar from plunging into oblivion.
How much you want to bet Bernanke panics again and cuts off another 1/4 point on Oct. 31

Last edited by baystater; 10-19-2007 at 01:02 PM..

Old 10-19-2007, 12:49 PM

781 posts, read 3,487,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
How much you want to bet Bernanke panics again and cuts off another 1/4 point on Oct. 31
And watch the dollar drop off a cliff!!!! It is like putting a band-aid on the Hoover Dam.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:44 PM

Oh, I'm betting he'll cut again. He'll try and skip a time, though, if he can. Depends on how much doom and gloom speak follows today's drubbing on Wall St.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:47 PM

2 posts, read 3,726 times
I came from China, and I know how rich a lot of Chinese are and how crazy pepole over there are willing to buy good brand products made in USA. I'm thinking seriously to do export business to China market.

Is there anyone interested in it? Let me know.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:50 PM

6,797 posts, read 6,121,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
Oh, I'm betting he'll cut again. He'll try and skip a time, though, if he can. Depends on how much doom and gloom speak follows today's drubbing on Wall St.
The interest rate cuts buy time (several months) for the Big Boys to get out before the real carnage begins. The Fed always protects the interest of the Banks and Wall St.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:59 PM

Yes, it's all window dressing. I still think we'll get the traditional holiday coast, though, before the real carnage begins. My guess is the market will quickly retest the lows in October, then catch a ride through the holidays into January, maybe even hit a new high in the Dow, then... who knows? Other opinions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or