U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 01:12 PM

4,428 posts, read 5,506,716 times

Advertisements

Bloomberg.com: Exclusive (broken link)

I prefer the stronger dollar.
This is because I believe China will sooner rather than later figure out how weak our economy is and stop buying our debt. Also I believe that inflation will eventually rise as import prices will go up this is because our dollar buys less and we can't stop ourselves from being voracious consumers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 03:15 PM

69,372 posts, read 53,714,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Bloomberg.com: Exclusive

I prefer the stronger dollar.
This is because I believe China will sooner rather than later figure out how weak our economy is and stop buying our debt. Also I believe that inflation will eventually rise as import prices will go up this is because our dollar buys less and we can't stop ourselves from being voracious consumers.
Depends on your business.. Since I export most of my sales, the weaker the dollar the more I export, the more I sell, and the more profit per order I make (i.e. due to postage markups etc)

Old 10-08-2007, 06:12 PM

3,110 posts, read 9,180,019 times
I'm in the opposite realm. I'm paying as much as 30% more for some goods than a couple years ago as an importer...and I don't think it bodes well. Even with a weak US dollar, the balance of trade is totally FUBAR, a strong dollar just underscores the situation we've created for ourselves IMHO.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:51 PM

69,372 posts, read 53,714,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
"It takes a village to raise an idiot" - anon.
Ohhhh thats just so funny....

Old 10-09-2007, 08:49 AM

2,212 posts, read 6,187,877 times
Good question. The weak dollar is hurting me on imports...BUT it is also making me consider manufacturing select items in the US which will help people here.
For globalization to really work, we need an even playing field, with people abroad making enough money to buy our stuff. The American standard of living needs to drop though - it is unsustainable.

Of course, I also transferred funds into other currencies as a hedge.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:49 AM

3,853 posts, read 11,443,941 times
weak, I invest in commodities mostly.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:57 PM

29,760 posts, read 47,624,761 times
I don't care.

I collect MFRs.

I buy with zero-down mortgages, renters pay their rent, a portion goes to the mortgage payment, a portion is held in case of repairs, and at the end of each year any money left over goes to buy down the principle.

I gain equity, and each one provides great tax sheltering to prevent any of my other incomes form becoming taxable.

Strong dollar, or weak dollar, either way I have renters. Either way I make build Net Worth.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:04 PM

1,318 posts, read 2,978,741 times
forest beekeeper, wouldn't weak dollar be good for you, more inflation, the faster houses go up in value, since usually incomes follow inflation, and housing follows income, at least historically. The 70s saw large appreciation in housing that way from what I've heard.

I live in the Bay Area, I looked into the landlord model and rents were too low. , around 4.5% of the value of the house/condo, expenses were condo fees, mortgage interest (6.25%), and taxes (1%), it seemed like a money pit. I'm trying to get into that by getting my brother in Texas to help manage a house there, (much better rent to buy ratio).

I myself don't know, I would prefer a dollar that is mostly stable to other currencies, but aside from that I think a strong dollar would help me more as it makes going on vacation a lot easier, and makes imports (including oil for gasoline) cheaper. Last time I went to London everything cost a fortune, I imagine it is worse now.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:55 PM

29,760 posts, read 47,624,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
forest beekeeper, wouldn't weak dollar be good for you, more inflation, the faster houses go up in value, since usually incomes follow inflation, and housing follows income, at least historically.
So what?

Many people are 'renter's

Whether it is due to their career field, or their marital status, or their low-income mind-set, whatever makes no difference; in boom towns and during bust, there are folks who still rent. Thus there are folks who still pay rent.

Both sets of my grandparents, had rental units, in California. From the early 40's to the late 90's, they had renters. Economies change, during all of them we still have renters.

I have tried to help renters become owners. A renter will only become an owner when that person is ready, and not one day sooner.

Quote:
... I live in the Bay Area, I looked into the landlord model and rents were too low. , around 4.5% of the value of the house/condo, expenses were condo fees, mortgage interest (6.25%), and taxes (1%), it seemed like a money pit. I'm trying to get into that by getting my brother in Texas to help manage a house there, (much better rent to buy ratio).
Tracking gain in my Net Worth I see around 16% interest from our principle payments [which of course come from the renters, not from my pocket].

Old 10-18-2007, 08:39 PM

4,428 posts, read 5,506,716 times
Default And it just keeps sliding

Overview: Dollar sinks amid concerns over US market - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or