Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 02:04 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,581,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
Wenn Sie schon mal in Deutsch schreiben wollen, dann sollten Sie auch die richtige Deutsche Grammatik anwenden! Good job! And just kidding...
I think you are pointing out my not being articulate in the German language, or perhaps an authentic recipe you want me to try. In my case the english language is enough of a challenge. You would think that after 56 years I would have it down. Hope I didn't offend anyone here in this forum. Sister Mary Mathew definetly would not be proud of me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2006, 03:22 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,699,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
I think you are pointing out my not being articulate in the German language, or perhaps an authentic recipe you want me to try. In my case the english language is enough of a challenge. You would think that after 56 years I would have it down. Hope I didn't offend anyone here in this forum. Sister Mary Mathew definetly would not be proud of me!
Actually I was responding to MoMark's quote. But all were well put, I thought. Hence the "just kidding" remark. Somehow I think it's a German "thing" to always attempt to be correct and to correct others. It gets on my nerves too!
As I understood it (from another source) the company quoted to raise the weekly working hours was supposed to read 43 NOT 33, from the original 35 hours per week. (???)

Old 11-27-2006, 11:46 PM

37 posts, read 137,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
In meiner Meinung zeigt das nur was los mit Deutsche Industrie ist.... 33 stunde ist schon zu wenig, aber die Arbeiter verdienen bis 2011 einen Job garantie. Das zeigt, wie Frankreich auch, warum Europa nicht kompetitiv ist.
I think the German companies who make these kind of arrangements are slitting their own throats.
Gee, my college education @ the Westfälische-Wilhelms-Universität comes in handy....
In my opinion this only shows what is wrong with German industry.... 33 hours is already to little but workers earn a guaranteed job until 2011. This shows (proves), like France as well, how come Europe is not competitive.

Old 11-28-2006, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureFormerCalifornian View Post
Gee, my college education @ the Westfälische-Wilhelms-Universität comes in handy....
In my opinion this only shows what is wrong with German industry.... 33 hours is already to little but workers earn a guaranteed job until 2011. This shows (proves), like France as well, how come Europe is not competitive.
Recent research has given some German automobile manufacturers very high marks in safety...not one American manufacturer to be found on that list, BTW! The fact that people (Europeans and Americans alike) expect such high standards from German products, proves just how competitive the German market is. Let's not put France and Germany in one basket.

By the way, what does your education in Germany have to do with the competitiveness of the French or German markets???
And as quoted before, the work week in that particular industry was changed to 43 hours, not 33! This does not apply to all German or French industries.

Old 11-28-2006, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
My grandfather was the Barber Of Seville. Figaro..figaro..figaro! I just had to, couldn't resist
Now that's funny!!!

Old 11-28-2006, 09:38 AM

243 posts, read 884,979 times
SOOOO!!!! I think Germany is just getting close to what the US has always been. I'll take 33 uhr over 40 any day!!!!! Vacations also follow you from job to job, no starting over with your new company over there. They also receive and average of 6 weeks vacation each year and a 6 or 8 week stress reduction vacation every 7 years if the go to a spa or something like that. This is also paid. I'll take germany's work ammenities over the US anyday.

Old 11-28-2006, 06:00 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,581,363 times
What I was getting at was they increased the work week to 33 hours. They were originally working 29 according to the report. 33 would be good for me, 29 would be better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics