U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 02:13 PM

5,092 posts, read 9,600,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post

Let's shut down the sweat shops. So now, instead of a job at the factory, you take that worker who is gainfully employed and put them out of work. Yes, that is certainly improving someone's quality of life here. That sounds like a winner to me. Yes, if we rally together, we Americans can put these small foreign factories out of business!
ahhh, so really we benefit everyone with the wonders of the international global sweat shop marketplace. Well Merry Christmas everybody!

What a load of crap.

About like saying all dem poor negroes won't be havin notin to do if we don't having 'em pickin our cotton.

The international sweat shops are plenty, and there is plenty of documentation they exist. And many are the subcontractors of US international corporations. The underlying problems start here, and could be ended here.

But in the meanwhile -- it is a new International Plantation Nation World. So let the money and debt roll, baby, roll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 02:33 PM

26,881 posts, read 38,123,724 times
I'd pose this question: What proof do you have that these sweat shops exist? Why would workers work for maybe a dollar a day in unairconditioned buildings working 24 hour shifts with maybe two five minute breaks? Why wouldn't they just quit and find a different job?

That is, plain and simple, naive. It also shows a complete lack of understanding about the economics of the countries addressed in this thread.

Just go get another job? If they could do that they wouldn't be working for that dollar a day. There aren't any other jobs, dude! Not for them.

Read the last six paragraphs in this article starting with Shanghai. The entire article is enlightening, but those directly address this thread. Oh, and notice that the level of extreme poverty is measured by those whose income does not exceed $77 a year. $77 a year. So, just being at the poverty (not extreme) level requires, say $85 a year?

BBC NEWS | World | Asia-Pacific | China's poor being left behind

Old 10-18-2007, 02:15 AM

3,853 posts, read 11,420,846 times
Look in the mirror to find out.

YouTube - V for Vendetta Televised Speech

Old 10-21-2007, 06:41 PM

129 posts, read 438,802 times
jinxor,

Are you seriously doubting that sweat shops exist?!

Old 10-21-2007, 07:41 PM

2,408 posts, read 9,662,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goingreene View Post
jinxor,

Are you seriously doubting that sweat shops exist?!
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happeemommee
Sweat Shops Not sure if this is in the right area or not, but...

I recently went through the mall and looked at where the majority of our items are made. I knew there was a lot coming from China, Indonesia, etc, but I REALLY HAD NO IDEA it was this bad. Seriously about the only things I saw made in US were food and laundry soap. Ok, here's my question.
The OP states that a recent visit to the mall, the OP realized that the majority of merchandise was coming from China and Indonesia and was surprised at how bad it was (the ratio of goods from China/Indonesia to the ratio of goods produced in the US).

Without any proof (in that post), a jump in logic was made that this ratio meant that sweat shops exist and that the situation was really bad.

I am not doubting the existence of sweat shops. I am offended that simply by observing goods that are produced in an Asian country, that one assumes they are produced in sweatshops.

I would feel quite differently if the OP posted something relevant to sweatshops. I do not believe the presence of imported goods in our malls has anything to do with the widespread the problem of sweatshops. Implying that goods produced in China/Indonesia are made in sweatshops (without offering proof) is simply racist toward the Chinese and Indonesians.

Old 10-21-2007, 07:54 PM

2,432 posts, read 6,003,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happeemommee View Post
Not sure if this is in the right area or not, but...

I recently went through the mall and looked at where the majority of our items are made. I knew there was a lot coming from China, Indonesia, etc, but I REALLY HAD NO IDEA it was this bad. Seriously about the only things I saw made in US were food and laundry soap. Ok, here's my question.

Who's fault do you think it is? I understand the whole out-sourcing thing, and that yes, companies are entitled to make a buck. However, when American's can't get a decent job, and companies are getting everything in one of these lesser developed countries where they can pay their workers a dollar a day.
( They are definitely NOT passing on the savings to us!!) Who's to balme? Us as consumer's ignoring the working conditions of the people working in these places? Or the companies ignoring how their worker's are being treated half way around the world? And, could it be the worker's to blame?! I don't think it's the workers fault, but that's just my opinion.

More importantly, what can be done about it?!!
It's unfortunate, but there's really nothing that can be done about it. At least not as long as our current crop of politicians are in Washington. Our government in Washington has turned into a government that represents the businesses and corporations that keeps their campaign war chests filled with cash, rather than the actual voters that elect them. We have in effect become a nation of corporations rather than a nation of citizens. And that's what has caused our manufacturing base to move overseas.

What's happened is our corporations and businesses are protected and allowed to pretty much allowed to do whatever they want to turn a buck. If they aren't allowed to use cheap labor then they can't compete and will close their doors, or move their operation overseas where they don't have the strong labor laws we have.

So what can be done about it? Not much. The fox is guarding the hen house. The very people that write and vote on the laws are the ones benefiting from the huge campaign finance funds funneled their way by the business PAC's. If we had politicians in Washington that actually cared about American jobs and industry we could ban products that are manufactured with child or prison labor. Our politicians could tariff products that are constructed in a manner that gives our foreign competitors an unfair competitive advantage. But that's not what our politicians want. They would rather see our entire manufacturing base move overseas than take action that would protect American industry. To do otherwise would dry up the cash cow.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:44 AM

1,928 posts, read 4,521,272 times
There's plenty that can be done about it, but people have to act. Quit listening to the corporate apologists, mass media and government as to how good globalization is for us.

First, we must let the politicians know who is in charge. That means not voting for the typical 'corporate style' politicians - either Republican or Democrat. They do not represent the interest of the middle class. Do you think NAFTA and those type of trade deals benefit the middle class? Why did over 70% of the people in this country oppose Nafta and yet it passed anyway. It makes me sick when I see 'Made in china'. The first thing that crosses my mind is how many Americans were put out of work and what type of sweat-shop are they being made in. Perhaps we should insist that our so-called trading partners have the same wage base and worker protection that we do. That would level the playing field.

Look at the massive trade deficit we have with countries who are potential adversaries. Just imagine how many American jobs could be created if that money stayed here. Our economy could be booming like it was in the 50s and 60s. We would not be talking about a shrinking middle class.

I always look for 'Made in Amerca' and buy when I can. I will pay more for a product that was created by Americans. I'm just wondering how far this free trade and globalism will be allowed to go before something is done or something bad happens. Perhaps as some say, it will be a gradual erosion of our standard of living and the influence that America has in the world. Somebody is making a lot of money off of it and it's not the middle class.

This goes for American jobs too being outsourced to third world countries. It think that this is what corporate CEOs want. Third world wages and working conditions for all - except for themselves. Are we destined to become a third world country? I sure hope not, at least in my lifetime. I'm glad I don't have kids, not a pretty picture developing for our future. I think you will see hard-fought worker protections slowly being eroded in this country so that we can compete 'globally'. I always wonder what was so bad about the way things were before in past decades. We had an expanding middle class and upward mobility. We sure don't have that now.

If I was a conspiracy theorist, I would say that there is a carefully orchestrated plan behind this to change the world dynamics, all to the detriment of the United States.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:17 AM

9,324 posts, read 23,226,903 times
They have debased our currency to the point where inflation is rampant. Without cheap imported goods we would have been able to see the true inflation, and the FED would have been exposed for the bubble blower it is. Look at the costs of commodities and of any US made product, it has followed inflation. Without "globalization" the super-rich could not amass the fortunes they have while simultaneously making our savings worthless.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:59 PM

5 posts, read 10,328 times
Cool Re: Sweatshops

Hi,

I agree. I just spent the last 12 years working for large freight forwarders and steamship lines importing containers of freight into the U.S. A lot from Asia / China. China especially is in the process of "cooking their own goose" so to speak. They have abused the U.S. leniency for free trade and have been under fire alot in the past year. Trust me, there a lot of sweat shops in China where much industry is government owned and run. I have talked to many that work in the factories and "shops" through Skype, young girls, they tell me how it is. They tell me the owners are bad men. I wrote an article on my Blog - http://www.importauthoritydesk.com (broken link). Free trade has run amuck. Companies like Mattell are finding out what non regulation brings. Even U.S, companies don't care, offer us less and less to work for them. I for one am done with corporate America. The only concern is profit, at ANY cost. I have my own company, health and welllness. My God, People are dying of cancer in their own homes due to toxic chemicals in cleaning products. 80,000 new chemicals were approved in the last 10 years to be used to clean our own homes, almost none even tested! There's so much I just won't accept anymore. Thanks.

Dave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or