Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 02:02 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,903,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
why is it always Walmart?

why not Target, Kohl's, K-mart, b/c they all sell cheap crap from China, all get by on lots of part-timers, full-timers without benefits, etc.

like Target employees are raking in the ca$h driving their BMW's to work!

it's all the same, blah blah walmart bad, so are all the rest.

What about upscale retail workers at stores like victoria's secret, bloomingdales, and bebe which probably don't have benefits for full-time workers unless they're management.

My advice to any young woman working retail or any crap job that pays $14/hr or less. Invest in some high quality MAC make-up and a push up bra and find a bar or upscale restaurant to work at instead. Work your way to a bartending position though waitressing and don't stop "job hopping" until you work at a bar with high earning potential. This is what I did and I was actually able to afford college or some type of vocational training. I'm so glad a general manager of a hotel hired me to be a cocktail waitress because before that I was looking at $7-$8 hour coffee house jobs.

You won't make a ton of money, but compared to ****ty retail jobs you will feel rich .

Places will hire you without experience if you're cute. Expect to make $100 cash per shift and slowly work your way up to bars where ypu can make $300 or more per shift. Those high earning bars will expect you to have AT LEAST 3 years experience and they will be able to tell if you lied about your experience.

Contrast that to what retail workers make

$8hr times 8 hour shift =$64 before taxes
$10 hr, 8 hour shift= $80 before taxes

Another perk is you will meet and learn to network with many different types of people. If you're shy you will overcome it.

How do retailers expect us to survive? If this post helps even just one woman out there, I have done my job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 03:01 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
why is it always Walmart?
Because WalMart is the biggest player.

The rest are open on TG because WM is.
The rest play games with hours because WM does.

Clearer?

Old 11-26-2012, 03:09 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,164,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

Clearer?
So if next year WM closed on Thanksgiving every other store would follow suit in your opinion?

Old 11-26-2012, 03:30 PM

10 posts, read 22,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
What he doesn't poit out is that 50 years ago we were the manufaturers tot eh wrold. Not surpisig i that most of the rest of the world's capacity was killed off by WWII. Not evryone was makig what auto wroekrs wehre tho and those popel paid for allthose ebefits. Justa few years ago if you bought a GM car or truck you paif 1500 dollars o it to pay fr the helqth insurance.500 years ago likely you shpped at a local store for groceries who with others had monpopoly on setting prices.If you look up the average wage most where not making near the amounts he stated.
Were you typing with twinkies? lol

Old 11-26-2012, 03:44 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

Clearer?
No they are open o thanksgiving because they all want a piece of the pie as always.But it sshppoers who reallt determine if they will attned on any day in the end. Wal Mart just sells cheaper which is why they and other are shppoed at by so mnay below certain income level.The same has happened with rpdcuts;the pulbic decided american made isn't worth the incrreased cost especially has it declined i nquailty and assembly.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:50 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
No they are open on thanksgiving because they all want a piece of the pie
Sales Volume on TG day was up from last year.
Black Friday volume was down.

The people who were obsessed to get in to the store first did so... a whole 12 hours sooner.
Then they blew their wad leaving room for the lookies to browse more easily.

On the whole it's a net loss to the stores. They'll figure it out eventually.
For now.. mostly they're just scared of the internet.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:49 PM

410 posts, read 802,492 times
Someone hit the nail on the head. This isn't brain surgery. It's Walmart. If you didn't go to college or a trade school to better yourself, whose fault is that? Sam Walton took the risk, put the product together and now it's in the hands of his family. Point? Families take over the business all the time because it's the American way. Making $9 an hour to do unskilled labor is good money. I see no wrong. And what's all this talk about Unions? Does a Union just come in and do it for the good of the people for no fee? Come on. It's a racket. The Union is what's wrong with America. They make more than $9 an hour believe you me.

As for not shopping at Walmart and paying retail . . . be my guest. I save my money where I can. Walmart has great prices on everything from apparel to food. If there's something wrong, bring it back and get a refund or replacement. That's what America is supposed to be about.

We can find the glass half empty or half full. My glass says Walmart! And it was half the price of the full retail store down the street.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:09 PM

248 posts, read 340,717 times
I tend to avoid places that have a history of fatal stampedes.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:26 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,900,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by signalfire View Post
I tend to avoid places that have a history of fatal stampedes.
That happened ONE time and, yes, one time is too many. But it's not like that happens all the time in every store. And it irritates me that if something happens even once it's brought up again, and again, and again, year after year. Last year there was ONE pepper spray incident. This year there was ONE shooting...don't recall where...and I did see a news clip of a couple people fighting. Consider there are 4,000 stores and there's bound to be SOMETHING negative somewhere. But if you don't want to shop there that's entirely your choice and I doubt anyone cares much. I never, ever, shop Black Friday anywhere. Never have. I'm usually working somewhere but even if I'm not I won't shop that day. Just don't care about it. But I'm not going to say I won't because of one or two incidents across the country.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:13 PM

248 posts, read 340,717 times
Trouble is, they ENCOURAGE that stampeding behavior by locking the doors until a certain time, waiting until long lines have formed, and having ridiculous bargains on things we are 'taught' by incessant advertising we 'need'. There's got to be dozens of fire-safety laws alone being broken in those instances.

Take a look at the Youtube videos taken at various Walmarts on Black Friday. It's appalling and I refuse year-round to patronize a place that has that mentality in either management or the animal-like shoppers themselves.

They could avoid all that by having an unannounced sale every hour on a different item, or spread the discounts out over the whole year or whatever. I hope the families of the man who was killed last year sued the store owners for their entire wealth, but of course what really happened is they considered his death the 'cost of doing business...'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics