Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 06:46 AM

344 posts, read 427,661 times

Advertisements

China is short cutting the majority of the public building projects. Their will be some serious problems that lie ahead for the Chinamen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 06:56 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,755,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Subways are not really cost effective which is why outside of China few are still built. The rest of the world is mostly going towards light rail or other above ground rail transit or bus rapid transit. Only in places like China where the government can kick landowners out with ease can subways be built quickly and somewhat economically.

I suppose above ground rails need to kick out even more land owners?

According to the constitution of China, land is owned by state, and people may only have the privileged to "use" it, not own it.
Also, after you buy an apartment in China, you can only own it for 70 years. After 70 years, you lose it to state. However, I am sure the law will change soon.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:54 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,882,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I suppose above ground rails need to kick out even more land owners?

According to the constitution of China, land is owned by state, and people may only have the privileged to "use" it, not own it.
Also, after you buy an apartment in China, you can only own it for 70 years. After 70 years, you lose it to state. However, I am sure the law will change soon.
Above ground rails rarely kick out landowners, they usually use existing rail right of way or are built in the footprint of existing streets. The nature of landownership often forces light rail though to take less than perfect routes because the cost to buy the land becomes ridiculously expensive when a handful of key parcel owners hold the projects hostage with obscene demands. You wouldn't see that in China.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:51 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,755,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Above ground rails rarely kick out landowners, they usually use existing rail right of way or are built in the footprint of existing streets. The nature of landownership often forces light rail though to take less than perfect routes because the cost to buy the land becomes ridiculously expensive when a handful of key parcel owners hold the projects hostage with obscene demands. You wouldn't see that in China.
Actually you do see that in China, a lot.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:06 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,497,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
It's funny when Republicans use China as an example of a booming economy, yet they don't look at the fact China is spending a lot of money on their infrastructure, subways, high speed rail and education system.
Someone has to throw money around to keep people working, because the idea of buying cars to do so sure isn't working...

Does Beijing Need to Rethink Its Auto Policy? | Fox Business

Our research shows that new-vehicle sales are slowing, inventories are rising, and retail vehicle prices are deflationary. In the first half of the year, nearly one-half of auto dealers in China reported they were unprofitable compared with just nine percent in 2010.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:20 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,034,905 times
I believe China's love affair with the car won't be nearly as long-lasting as American's love affair with the car.

Wait until they sic the police on the motorists, with sky-high traffice fines, to help fund their government, like they do here. And those first major repair bills!

And witnessing a number of people become permanently disabled as a result of car accidents, and family members becoming their care givers!

I know how frickin' cold it can get in Beijing, in the winter time, snowy/icy roads, and I wonder how many went to their cars in the morning and engine wouldn't turn over, and one too many times: That's it! Love affair is over!

Old 01-05-2013, 04:13 AM

376 posts, read 652,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majinkoola View Post
Well, that's because the economy didn't boom until Deng Xiaoping introduced market reforms. You know, the kind that resulted in the private sector having more power. That's indisputable.
Chinese new version of Communism = Unrestricted Capitalism

When I worked in China, I saw more free capitalism than I had ever seen anywhere else.

I would support developing subway systems in the US but there doesn't seem to be enough political support to come up with the $$ plus our property rights make it much more difficult. Both an advantage and disadvantage of the 1 party system that CHina employs is when a decision is made to go forward on a project, there is no one to stop it.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:28 AM

3,920 posts, read 6,833,898 times
I dont think China is the economic powerhouse that everyone makes it out to be. The fact that they are building subways doesn't really highlight anything. Their economy is shrouded in mystery because of communist rule but I imagine they aren't great. They have a lot of money to throw around because they work their citizens to death. The middle class was growing rapidly in China but it has since slowed and now you hear about manufacturing being brought back to US soil because labor costs got too high over seas. Once China becomes irrelevant they will suffer greatly. Not that I want them to or anything. They need us just as much as we need them.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:10 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
It's funny when Republicans use China as an example of a booming economy, yet they don't look at the fact China is spending a lot of money on their infrastructure, subways, high speed rail and education system.
republicans use china as an example of a booming economy?

Old 01-07-2013, 02:55 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times
Quote:
China is not young, but I agree with the later two.
The modern Chinese state is young. And it did plenty to cut the continuity with the past, in fact they went all out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics