U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 11:04 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
The mayor of Newark went on food stamps for a week, as an experiment. It's only about $30 per week and barely enough to live on. Is that what all people get from food stamps??

Aren't food stamp users also on other forms of aid?

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&....1.i3UuN2qC1fg
No. Food stamps are allotted by household size also -- many households are quite large and even the breastfeeding infant gets the full amount of food stamps --- AND WIC. When the toddlers are put in Headstart, they will get 2 free meals there -- same for all school aged children, most of their meals are provided by the schools which means that the household can use their food money for others or sell them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 11:11 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,690,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty12 View Post
I can pretty much use the $230 a month in food stamps to feed my family. This week I did buy a cart of bottled water and sodas. But last week I bought a cart full of canned veggies and bread. We buy only on sale with coupons and stockpile. Last month I bought mostly meat and its nicely organized in the freezer. I treat my ebt card as an extension of my own money and spend it as smart as I can.

My mom was a little surprised at this but you can also buy candy on food stamps. I will utilize some of the money for the kids Easter baskets. Using coupons as well.
I do the same. Any stranger looking in my cart would think I'm very weird. One week it might be a whole bunch of frozen veggies, cereal, and marked down meat. Another week, it might be soups, cheese, sodas, and whatever.
And yes, people might see me use EBT (if we're eligible at that point) what they're probably not seeing is that I have coupons that make the sodas free or close to it, as well as coupons for the other stuff, and that I'm getting back "Catalinas" for $$$ off my next purchase, as well as free milk (for buying the cereal)
Right now is a great time to stock up on candy with all the coupons and 75% off Christmas sales, the bags I've seen have a long shelf life,and I've been getting bags for pennies that I can use for Easter and Halloween

Old 01-13-2013, 11:55 AM

14,062 posts, read 9,792,250 times
You can eat pretty healthy for under $30 week if you can shop at Aldi's.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:23 PM

4,253 posts, read 3,953,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
I looked at a purchase receipt paid with EBT, it did have remaining balance on it, $1500+.
Sounds like an urban legend to me.

If true, that amount wasn't just for a single month. Food stamp programs are not known for their generosity. State social services could hyothetically deny a food stamp claim and the person could have contested the decision. After 8 or 9 or 10 months of floating around in state offices, someone could finally decide that the person had been eligible for food stamps all along and award them the back amount owed. That happens very rarely, though.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:59 PM

373 posts, read 540,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
You can eat pretty healthy for under $30 week if you can shop at Aldi's.
I shop there too. Something's are more expensive at Aldi. You have to follow the sale prices to get good deals.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:14 PM

1,459 posts, read 2,120,814 times
I really struggle with the notion that we should give people who are already receiving help MORE money than I need to eat with, because maybe it is hard for them to ride the bus to a real grocery store, or get up early to cook from scratch. Plain flour, or oats, or rice, can be gotten in 20lb bags with planning, or 5lb bags without it. Add some kind of oil, whatever fruit/veg is seasonally cheap, and the .69 bag of beans or lb of chicken thighs... if your kids are young enough to need milk, guess what? You are guaranteed WIC, too.

The intent should not be to make it easy and delightful to feed your family. It is to make is possible without eating garbage. And it is, even if it was only $30 with no other money for food. Many of us on shoestring grocery budgets would love to be able to buy premium cuts of beef, out of season berries, or even $4 boxes of convenience snacks. Maybe we already work long days, and the time to prep food is tough to carve out. We still have to do it!

Old 01-13-2013, 06:19 PM

13,292 posts, read 10,103,299 times
What many of you are doing is comparing your own situations with someone living in another state where the cost of living may be higher not to mention transportation cost on top of childcare cost while they are shopping and lets not forget finding a store that has what you need and accepts foodstamps.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
I agree with much of what you say. however, on the couponing/time issue, it really doesn't take that long esp. if they can access the internet. there are forums that do match-ups, give links to printables, and tell you how best to organize your coupons to make it most efficient and easy.

One way is to put you inserts whole in a folder and mark the date on the front, and then you can go back to that date and cut when you need for your trip. People will put the date of the insert the coupon's found in, beside the match-up on the couponing boards, and there's also a database you can access, that will tell you when a coupon came out. best part is, it's all free

Hold up there! There have been people who have gotten on CD and critized people on welfare who have computers and can pay their monthy bill

Old 01-13-2013, 06:35 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,690,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Hold up there! There have been people who have gotten on CD and critized people on welfare who have computers and can pay their monthy bill
Yeah, I know, God forbid you should have bargain internet and a 5 year old computer that allows you to look for work, and do some work at home, and help maximize the money you have.
People forget that many of us were in a much better place 5 years ago. My husband had a much better paying job, before he lost it and spent nearly 3 years working for temp agencies and day labor places. That's right...he worked...instead of sitting around getting an unemployment check for 2 plus years.
I work despite having health problems that could probably get me SSD if i pushed it, like some do....not saying there aren't a lot of people out there who deserved to get SSD but I know people who can work some but don't bother cos they can get that monthly check. I also helped to care for, and support my step-daughter for 16 years. Her mother died with no insurance and never having made enough to qualify her child for survivor's benefits.
So, no, if we qualify some months for some SNAP benefits, I'm not going to be ashamed

Old 01-13-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
Yeah, I know, God forbid you should have bargain internet and a 5 year old computer that allows you to look for work, and do some work at home, and help maximize the money you have.
People forget that many of us were in a much better place 5 years ago. My husband had a much better paying job, before he lost it and spent nearly 3 years working for temp agencies and day labor places. That's right...he worked...instead of sitting around getting an unemployment check for 2 plus years.
I work despite having health problems that could probably get me SSD if i pushed it, like some do....not saying there aren't a lot of people out there who deserved to get SSD but I know people who can work some but don't bother cos they can get that monthly check. I also helped to care for, and support my step-daughter for 16 years. Her mother died with no insurance and never having made enough to qualify her child for survivor's benefits.
So, no, if we qualify some months for some SNAP benefits, I'm not going to be ashamed

And you should'nt be! Screw those fools that believe that everyone is on anequal playing field because they are comfortable with their way of life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or