U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2013, 12:33 AM

8,195 posts, read 10,227,133 times

Advertisements

I guess you won't be able to shop at Whole Foods,but
Traders Joe's and Aldi,yes.

Actually,processed food is cheaper. You can buy 7 Tv dinners for $7.
Then a loaf for $1.
Box of Oatmeal $3.
Case of bottled water...$2.50.
Bologna and a pack of cheese 16 slices....3.50.
Mayo...$1.00.
bag of mixed fruit...$5.

I guess you can make it happen, but I'm thinking of Aldi prices.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 02:14 AM

2,572 posts, read 6,273,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I guess you won't be able to shop at Whole Foods,but
Traders Joe's and Aldi,yes.

Actually,processed food is cheaper. You can buy 7 Tv dinners for $7.
Then a loaf for $1.
Box of Oatmeal $3.
Case of bottled water...$2.50.
Bologna and a pack of cheese 16 slices....3.50.
Mayo...$1.00.
bag of mixed fruit...$5.

I guess you can make it happen, but I'm thinking of Aldi prices.
Just an observation; those $1 TV dinners are really really small. Enough food for my youngest kid maybe. And not meaning to offend anyone but I can't figure out at all why bottled water would be on anyone's list if the list is about stretching $30 (??).

Also we don't have Aldi here (in Texas). I know all about it from my spouse who grew up in Iowa and shopped there but we don't have them here, in fact, most of our city is dominated by one chain grocery store and the alternative is Wal-Mart and little else (a few other options but not many and only on certain parts of town).

Did you mean instant oatmeal? I can get a HUGE thing of regular quick-cook oatmeal (the cylinder kind) for about $3.50 and it is really a lot. Way cheaper than instant.

I've been in plenty of rough patches where I needed to feed my family (of 5) on very limited funds and I focused on eggs, peanut butter, beans, rice, potatoes and frozen veggies or whatever fruit/veggies are on sale at the time. Pretty much no meat at all for the duration when we have had to stretch it. Or, only meat as a flavoring, or soup base, etc. I've also ended up baking a lot more during those times, made tortillas, biscuits, etc. because it is soooo much cheaper. Of course all of that takes more time and someone may or may not have the time or skills.

Oh and one more thing, a question: is Trader Joe's a discount place? We just got our first one here in my city and I haven't been yet. A friend of mine lives close and had some really good whole bean coffee she bought there that was significantly cheaper than at my nearby grocer. She also had that cookie butter that was pricey but amazing. The Trader Joe's is located in a very affluent area of town and I just assumed it was something like Whole Foods based on that and the circular they sent out in the mail which was full of delicious sounding holiday items.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:53 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,692,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I always took mine with me. They have to learn to behave in public and it's good for them to learn how to shop wisely as they get older.
I started taking mine once in awhile when they were about 10. They learned how to behave in public elsewhere. I still don't take them too often, as I don't care to be distracted while I shop, every penny counts.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
This amount is high - most of it can be bought for less.

30 per week is more than enough for a single person for groceries per week. If he can't live on them, he's doing something very wrong.

1 package of chicken breast ($7) - A rotisserie chicken would be better than a package of chicken. After the chicken is gone, soup can be made from the bones, and that's another meal or two. All that is needed to buy for it is an onion, package of celery and some carrots.

3 packages of rice mix ($5)

2 boxes of pasta ($3) - ($.99ea at the $.99 only store/$1.00ea at Dollar Tree)

1 loaf of bread ($3) -( $.99ea at the $.99 only store/$1.00ea at Dollar Tree)

1 dozen eggs ($2) - ($.99ea at the $.99 only store)

butter ($3) - ($.2.49 at Target & Walmart)

milk ($5) - ($3.00 at Target & Walmart)
You're out of luck if you don't have a 99 cent store or DT around. I only ever see eggs for 99cents on special promos around Easter or if I find the marked down.
You have an awful lot of carbs listed and people using SNAP can't buy "hot foods" such as a rotisserie chicken.
I agree that using coupons and utilizing promos such as BOGOs you can stretch the $30 probably enough for 1 week for one person, IF that person has transportation and stores to chose from, but not all do.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:04 AM

3,018 posts, read 5,098,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
You're out of luck if you don't have a 99 cent store or DT around. I only ever see eggs for 99cents on special promos around Easter or if I find the marked down.
You have an awful lot of carbs listed and people using SNAP can't buy "hot foods" such as a rotisserie chicken.
I agree that using coupons and utilizing promos such as BOGOs you can stretch the $30 probably enough for 1 week for one person, IF that person has transportation and stores to chose from, but not all do.
Nobody also pointed out that you won't be using 1lb of butter each and every week. So there is a $3 savings for 3 of the 4 weeks out of the month, if not more.

Then frozen pizza are usually on sale for $2.50 each or cheaper if you live elsewhere besides chicago. Cereal can be very cheap at only $2.

There are plenty of food options that will allow you to get by on $30/week. Eating healthy is a different argument since healthy means different things to different people. I think if I went 100% vegetarian, I could get by on $30 week but I just can't do that. That is with my local produce store though which isn't available to everyone.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:12 AM

5,037 posts, read 7,454,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
The mayor of Newark went on food stamps for a week, as an experiment. It's only about $30 per week and barely enough to live on. Is that what all people get from food stamps??

Aren't food stamp users also on other forms of aid?

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&....1.i3UuN2qC1fg
Kudos to Mayor Booker for trying to do the right thing. Unfortunately, his week on food stamps seemed to be less than completely honest.

Firstly, to arbitrarily pick $30 for a week's food budget is misleading. According to the chart here, the max. monthly allotment for a family of one is $200, which is $50/week, not $30.

Secondly, by only doing this for a week rather than an entire month, there are no staples left from prior weeks. In other words, there is no mayo, ketchup, mustard, tea bags, rice, potatoes or eggs to even begin with. If you purchase for a month and buy, for example, a 5 lb. bag of potatoes, you will have potatoes to last you a while. Ditto a 10 lb. bag of rice or a few pounds of beans. Buying in bulk is far more cost-effective than buying small quantites. If you buy a 5 lb. bag of potatoes for just one week, you'll be eating an awful lot of potatoes and using up too large a percentage of the weekly budget. The same with tea bags. One could easily buy a box of 100 tea bags and have a cup of tea each morning and hot or iced tea at other times, if you're budgeting for the month. However, Mr. Booker complained of a caffeine-withdrawal headache, because he couldn't afford to buy himself coffee or tea. Of course he couldn't buy any; he was only doing it for a week.

Thirdly, right on the food stamps web page, it clearly states that it is now called SNAP, which stands for the Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program. Let me repeat, it is a SUPPLEMENTAL program. This means the expectation is that the recipient adds their own money to what SNAP gives him for food and that SNAP is not meant to be the only funds used for food. The site specifically states it is to "help low income people buy food". Again, it is to HELP, not to be the exclusive funding for someone's food.

Therefore, if Mayor Booker was to have done this properly, he should have spent $50+ for a week on this challenge or, more accurately, $200+ for a month. One person can eat very well for $200+/month, even in high cost areas.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:52 AM

12,981 posts, read 24,049,061 times
People using SNAP can't buy "hot foods" such as a rotisserie chicken. Some stores sell them cold, so that would make it eligible.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:52 PM

19,189 posts, read 14,096,440 times
Oh, good grief! We have all seen the people using their food stamps and you have two different groups. In one group you have those who are generally the working poor or elderly and their baskets are filled with staples the first week of the month: rice, beans, pasta, oatmeal, etc. with the goodies coming the last week of the month if anything is left over. The other group are those that most likely are not working, not disabled but just see the money as a government freebie and they are stocked with candy, Little Debbies, soda, frozen pizzas, sugared name brand cereals, etc. If you watch the stores, that second group disappears by about the 17th of the month and if you are wondering where they are, they are at the free "pantry" loading their cars while others work because that free pantry is only open during the working hours for most people so the people at the pantry kind of know who to expect and what hours those people would be available to come for extra subsidy. I can't really extend any sympathy to the ones who can't budget their money or feel more entitled than what they can afford.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
People using SNAP can't buy "hot foods" such as a rotisserie chicken. Some stores sell them cold, so that would make it eligible.
Thanks for clarifying, however, none of the ones around me do so.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:25 PM

1,453 posts, read 1,778,296 times
Quote:
I don't know what SNAP is, but I do know that people on food stamps can buy $75.00 birthday cakes. I can't even afford to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or