U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-15-2013, 06:06 AM

373 posts, read 245,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Thing is food stamp benefits are supposed to be supplemental, hence the name. The average person has income that the SNAP benefits supplement. If there's no other income, then they would get the maximum benefit.
Haha! There is no way I could afford to pay for food out of my own income. We would starve and I am pretty sure, we do not get the maximum. My income is $1700 a month and my housing is easily $1300 or more, once you had in hoa fees. Add in transportation costs and utilities. Lets just say I am grateful for EITC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 06:09 AM

373 posts, read 245,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
People should be using coupons, shopping sales and making sure to stretch every single penny BEFORE they take any taxpayer's money for assistance. If, through due diligence, someone can parlay $1 into $2 via these methods, they need only half of what they are taking from others.
We would have no money for food without EBT. Food stamps is our only food money. I have yet to figure out how to turn $0 into $1.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:08 AM

5,029 posts, read 2,613,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
NJ is a high priced state in general, so I don't know that $30 was a reasonable number to choose. (Your link doesn't work for me, btw.) Is $133.42 a national average or a NJ average?

Again, since SNAP is a supplemental program and because he was only doing it for a week, (meaning absolutely no on-hand staples or bulk discounts to take advantage of), he surely could have chosen the max. amount for the week or supplemented it with a few dollars of his own.
Oh, sorry, I borked the link and it's too late to edit. Here it is. New Jersey's average is $133.26. They are apparently not adding to the federal SNAP benefit with state funds.

The point is that a test should use the average rather than the minimum or the maximum. The mayor also knows that many (if not most) people on SNAP actually DO use it as their only source of food dollars. There's a reason for this; SNAP eligibility counts certain expenses against your income, but doesn't count things like car insurance, gas to run the car (most SNAP recipient households are working), TP and other necessities ... you hopefully get the picture.

Last edited by Emeraldmaiden; 01-15-2013 at 08:14 AM.. Reason: mayor, not gov

Old 01-15-2013, 08:13 AM

5,029 posts, read 2,613,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
No, down in the Atlanta Georgia you get more food stamps if you have more children. Im not sure how the teirs are set up, but it all depends on how many children you have in the house and you must not have an adult male living in the residence. I think that rule is everywhere.
Here's the link to SNAP eligibility income standards. It does not care if there's a man in the house or not, only income - designated expenses (housing, utilities) and number of household members. You are thinking of TANF, which is what people used to be AFDC, and called welfare.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:54 AM

2,053 posts, read 2,150,448 times
I've heard that people in Southern California get over $200 per month in food stamps. That's at least $50 per week.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:04 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,048,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
I've heard that people in Southern California get over $200 per month in food stamps. That's at least $50 per week.
All of this, and I am pretty certain it's true no matter what state, depends on income, expenses, number of household members, etc.

It's not really accurate to generalize amounts based on what someone "heard".

Old 01-15-2013, 09:12 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,654,115 times
Protein powder is cheap. A person can purchase a 5lb bag for $50 with 71 servings. Each serving provides as much proten as 7.5oz of chicken breast. That is $0.84 per meal. Much less than purchasing chicken breasts. No need for cooking.

I could go on $30 per week if I were trying to get my lift back together after a reversal. Provides the sustenance and movtivation to get ahead.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:11 AM

8,356 posts, read 10,932,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
This is not true. This subject has already been covered in this thread. A single person will get $200 a month in foods stamps only if they're homeless.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:08 PM

5,011 posts, read 3,194,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty12 View Post
Haha! There is no way I could afford to pay for food out of my own income. We would starve and I am pretty sure, we do not get the maximum. My income is $1700 a month and my housing is easily $1300 or more, once you had in hoa fees. Add in transportation costs and utilities. Lets just say I am grateful for EITC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty12 View Post
We would have no money for food without EBT. Food stamps is our only food money. I have yet to figure out how to turn $0 into $1.
You do not even remotely live within your means, which is the kindest way I could phrase things.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:16 PM

5,011 posts, read 3,194,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Oh, sorry, I borked the link and it's too late to edit. Here it is. New Jersey's average is $133.26. They are apparently not adding to the federal SNAP benefit with state funds.

The point is that a test should use the average rather than the minimum or the maximum. The mayor also knows that many (if not most) people on SNAP actually DO use it as their only source of food dollars. There's a reason for this; SNAP eligibility counts certain expenses against your income, but doesn't count things like car insurance, gas to run the car (most SNAP recipient households are working), TP and other necessities ... you hopefully get the picture.
Ah, that explains where Mr. Booker derived the $30 figure from. Thanks for that link. It is still meant to be a supplement, although people are free to utilize it as their entire food budget if they wish. Regardless, as we already discussed, it's misleading to think $30 for one week alone will easily carry a person without adding anything to it or having any staples on-hand, which he would have had, had he purchased some things for a month rather than just a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics