Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 05:52 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,118,908 times

Advertisements

If I don't go out to eat, I can do $30.

A rotisserrie chicken from the grocery store for $5.99. The chickens are too big for me to eat in one sittingIt last for 3 days of lunch and dinner. I have veggies and some seasoning. If I get real busy, I'll buy another chicken mid-week.

It's pretty healthy. Keep your calories around 1800-2000. Your blood pressure and cholesteral should come down. It's low carb or high carb, if you switch out veggies for rice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 07:48 PM

1,139 posts, read 3,466,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
The mayor of Newark went on food stamps for a week, as an experiment. It's only about $30 per week and barely enough to live on. Is that what all people get from food stamps??

Aren't food stamp users also on other forms of aid?

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&....1.i3UuN2qC1fg
I thought it was higher but if its only $30 a week then am not sure why people cry over food stamps - that's the last resort for a lot of people!!!

Old 01-11-2013, 08:18 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post

$30/week/person is plenty if you cut coupons.
You can nearly always find the same product cheaper than using the coupon. Just buy an economical size of the generic or store brand. And then even cut that price in half, by buying the ingredients and making from scratch.

You can make soup for a quarter of the price of Campbells, just by throwing a bunch of cheap vegetables (onions, potatos, carrots, celery, all less than a dollar a pound) into a pressure cooker with a few ounces of meat. And, by the way, leave out the cup of salt and add 20 years to your life. Store brand crackers are always less than half the price of Nabisco, so even the 2-for-one coupon would be a waste of money.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:42 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,078,118 times
Using coupons, and shopping while on sale, making use of reward programs at stores, and stockpiling good deals, I can feed my family of 4 on about $250-$300/mo. And that includes some steaks and such. I buy manager's special meats, seperate and freeze

Old 01-12-2013, 08:46 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,078,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You can nearly always find the same product cheaper than using the coupon. Just buy an economical size of the generic or store brand. And then even cut that price in half, by buying the ingredients and making from scratch.
Often you can buy the smallest size with a coupon and get the item for pennies or free. You can also often stack a manufacturer's coupon, a store coupon, a sale, and a promo and get PAID to take items out of the store. And it's not all processed junk.

New items generally have higher value coupons out.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:53 PM

307 posts, read 630,961 times
Food Stamp allotments are based on your income after certain expenses are deducted. A person that has no other income would receive $200 a month, which should be enough for one person. A family of four with no income would receive $668.

I think that the $30 per person is what people get on average after their other household income is counted. I don't understand why all these politicians keep grandstanding acting like the food stamps is the only money that the family has for food. If they are only getting $30 then they clearly have some other income that could be used toward their food.

How Much Could I Receive?

Old 01-12-2013, 10:07 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,027 times
I looked at a purchase receipt paid with EBT, it did have remaining balance on it, $1500+.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:25 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,742,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Hubby and I average about $75 on groceries (both food and household goods) per week. For 2 people. That's only slightly more than $30/person. We don't cut any coupons, and we don't comparison shop. Just don't have the time.

If someone is on food stamps, I assume they have more free time on their hands, and should be able to cut coupons. I know coupon cutters (not even extreme ones) who only spend $50ish on groceries each week for a family of 5.

$30/week/person is plenty if you cut coupons.
It's really not reasonable to assume someone on food stamps will necessarily have more free time. Many who qualify for food stamps are the working poor. A single parent with a full time job is likely to have less time, and her food stamp budget will not go as far if she does not have time to do the coupon thing and cook everything from scratch.

There are many factors that determine someone's real food costs.

Another common issue is insufficient cooking facilities. Someone will not be able to stretch their budget as much without a full sized, working stove, for example, or a fridge that allows for buying larger quantities of foods (and therefore being able to save by buying in bulk or taking advantage of sales via a freezer).

Another often overlooked factor in the entire budget issue is the problem of "food deserts"; people having inadequate sources for reasonably priced groceries, lack of transportation, and the resulting heavy reliance on what is sold at smaller convenience stores and the like. Often if there is a full sized grocery store nearby in an inner city situation, or rural situation, there is no competition to help lower prices.

My sister in law is a good example of this problem. She is totally disabled and receives disability payments of about $600 a month. She lives in a housing complex with subsidized rent and I think she pays about $200 a month for rent plus utilities. She has no transportation aside from a bus pass and she physical issues that keep her from being able to walk very far. She has medication costs and transportation costs related to her necessary doctor visits. She does not receive food stamps because when she applied in the past she was told she'd only get $17 a month. So she doesn't see it as worth it. She manages to feed herself but there are significant challenges.

In her scenario, if she cannot get a ride to do most of her shopping at least every other week, she ends up having to buy things at the nearest corner store and suddenly the cost of milk or bread has tripled.

She is fairly lucky in that she can get rides, can take the bus, and she is just one person so doing all her grocery shopping on public transit isn't a huge issue... but you can imagine the difficulties it would present to someone with a larger family, less money for the bus or a taxi, and more people to buy for, right?

For five years I lived in the zip in my city with the lowest income out of all in the city, and the highest population density as well. I observed people attempting to buy "dinner" at the corner store (and then some) *all the time*. Canned goods, milk, cereal, bread, what "fruit" is near the checkout (if it isn't brown), all because that's the only place they could get to on foot and they are paying double or triple for these sort of basics.

For a short time we received food stamps when we lived there, and we were way ahead of the game because we had a car, a modern full sized kitchen, a large chest freezer, and knowledge about cooking from scratch, buying in bulk, etc. We also grew some of our own veggies and had already established this prior to needing assistance. Others around us had none of these advantages and zero knowledge about how to stretch their food dollar because no one had ever taught them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
I looked at a purchase receipt paid with EBT, it did have remaining balance on it, $1500+.
Well, it could be a very large family. Or it could be a family with no income that applied in the previous month but was just recently approved. What happens in that case is that if the local HHS office takes forever in making a decision, the applicant receives food stamps for the current month of approval plus retroactive food stamps from the date they originally applied.

And no, to the OP (I think?) who assumed that someone on food stamps would always or often be receiving other forms of assistance as well. This is not at all "the norm". It totally depends and varies from family to family. Many families work full time and receive some food stamp assistance and nothing else. Some *only* get Medicaid for their kids, even though they probably could qualify for food stamps. Likewise someone may work and have health coverage through work and only need some food assistance.

There are, of course, people receiving TANF and Food Stamps and Medicaid and Housing but they are not necessarily "typical" and in many places, housing assistance is incredibly difficult to get (if even possible at all).

Old 01-13-2013, 12:25 AM

139 posts, read 408,994 times
in NV there are people who get 30 bucks a MONTH foodstamps and do it its a supliment.

I eat very healthy mostly organic fruit and veggies and I spend about 25-40 a week. I shop for most of my veggies at COSTCO and most are organic so no reason why you can't eat healthy on 30 clams a week

Old 01-13-2013, 01:14 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,936,051 times
Amount varies according to income, family size, etc. A person may or may not be on other programs in addition to food stamps. My experience with small towns is that the cost of groceries is actually higher due to transportation costs and a smaller market for goods.

Someone living on $30/wk groceries in my part of the world is going to be eating mostly potatoes, dry beans and pasta - not a very healthy diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics