Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 07:26 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,138,285 times

Advertisements

I'll also add that tens of thousands of mediocre Americans have died defending this country, making it safe for Joe Hotshot to make his millions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 07:36 AM

147 posts, read 229,034 times
For a while the mediocre and the above-average and the rocket scientists were put in the same proverbial boat, so to speak, so I don't think this is the right generalization.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:16 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,935,359 times
We are at a point where a warm body is not enough,right now there are many mediocre paying jobs,$10-$15 per hour with no benefits.In todays world to survive past hand to mouth you need a wage,minimum of $20 per hour.
College today is nothing more than what high school was in my day but at a huge expense.You need it to open a door.
Shops and factories are all about computers and robotic equipment displacing workers.My brother gave me a tour of his sons factory,one man operating 5 or more pieces of equipment with him and computer working together.This was a large shop or factory producing with a minimum of well paid workers.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:06 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
The reason we have so many of the OP's "mediocre" people these days is because society and government have spent decades encouraging it. Shake off these self imposed shackles and get started getting better. Quit whining and blaming others for your own mistakes and poor choices. Stop looking for hand outs and for someone else to take care of you.
Though there are true obstacles in doing this, I agree with you. I blame it partially on the lack of stable father figures these days. With certain exceptions, good fathers teach healthy competition, self-confidence, self-discipline and exploration.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:53 AM

2,137 posts, read 1,902,620 times
I say that today, thanks to technology and a strong social safety net, it is easier than ever to get by. Its just that its also easier to obtain luxury, so the half that isn't able to get the luxury feels wronged. But they have nothing to complain about, they personally would be no better off at all if the other half was denied their luxuries, its simply envy.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:33 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
I say that today, thanks to technology and a strong social safety net, it is easier than ever to get by. Its just that its also easier to obtain luxury, so the half that isn't able to get the luxury feels wronged. But they have nothing to complain about, they personally would be no better off at all if the other half was denied their luxuries, its simply envy.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:54 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,988 times
So who exactly is deciding that "mediocre" people should live hand to mouth? Please, don't try "free market" on me. People, very specific people, with proper names and titles decide those issues. The $10,000,000 question - who gave those people authority to decide what kind of people would eat and what kind of people would be homeless today? It's amazing, people run like rats to please invisible masters with more and more of degrees, titles and self-improved attitudes, but nobody stops to think about this very simple $10,000,000 question.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:59 PM

491 posts, read 748,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
I disagree technology has made everything more expensive. Back in the day when there was less to buy and life was simple. Take a car for example sure it helps get us around but you have to pay for the car, car insurance, gas, and car repairs. If social safety nets are so great why do we still have so many homeless people and people living in poverty?

Old 02-05-2013, 10:05 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
So who exactly is deciding that "mediocre" people should live hand to mouth? Please, don't try "free market" on me. People, very specific people, with proper names and titles decide those issues. The $10,000,000 question - who gave those people authority to decide what kind of people would eat and what kind of people would be homeless today? It's amazing, people run like rats to please invisible masters with more and more of degrees, titles and self-improved attitudes, but nobody stops to think about this very simple $10,000,000 question.
The free market sets all salary levels, and it truly boils down to the cost at a fair market salary with benefits of your replacement.

The more difficult one is to replace, i.e. the fewer supply replacements per potential available position, the higher, in all probability, the median salary for the position.

Your disliking the term does not affect the fact it does set the salary levels. But all of us are free to better position ourselves given that reality; that is called competing.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:38 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
The free market sets all salary levels, and it truly boils down to the cost at a fair market salary with benefits of your replacement.
Nope, free market is an abstraction, it cannot do a squat, it doesn't exist as a thing in itself capable of the direct actions. Very specific people make decisions, abstractions don't make decisions. The question remains, why majority gave up decision power on the life & death (no exaggeration) in the hands of a tiny minority who prefer to be called an abstract name - "free market"? The second question - who trained the majority to think in the abstract terms, just like you do, even though abstracting doesn't add much to understanding, quite the opposite is true? The third question - why people who hide behind the name "free market" don't feel compelled to include needs and wishes of the majority while making all those economic decisions that can devastate entire regions. In short, why majority prefer to use all sorts of abstractions just not to see the world as it is - the world of peons and masters?

Eternal question - why minority always parasitize on and exploit the majority with little regard to majority' needs and wishes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics