U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-09-2013, 11:32 PM
 
Location: VA
620 posts, read 305,886 times
Reputation: 245

Advertisements

Ok,

I am trying to think of a good and relevant topic to do my presentation and paper on for my Advanced Managerial Economics class that I am about to start. We need to do our project on a managerial problem that is significant enough to devote resources to answering. We also need to determine the data that would be necessary to apply the proposed analysis. We need to be prepared to discuss our topic and rationale in class for consideration of approval or disapproval by the instructor.


What are some ideas you have for this? Managerial econ involves using economic concepts like theory of consumer demand and theory of the firm, and quantitative methods like numerical analysis, statistical estimation or forecasting procedures to solve management decision problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-10-2013, 08:01 AM
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
26,833 posts, read 57,830,396 times
Reputation: 29215
Quote:
Originally Posted by VABlkCONSERV View Post
I am trying to think of a good and relevant topic to do my presentation and paper on
for my Advanced Managerial Economics class that I am about to start.

We need to do our project on a managerial problem that is significant enough
to devote resources to answering.
Accounting vs economics

The objective need for accounting skills within business management
vs the absurdity of thinking economics has any role whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2013, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Ohio
17,986 posts, read 13,233,625 times
Reputation: 13765
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Accounting vs economics

The objective need for accounting skills within business management
vs the absurdity of thinking economics has any role whatsoever.
Yes, I'm sure your buggy-whip business will do just fine.

Amused...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by VABlkCONSERV View Post
Ok,

I am trying to think of a good and relevant topic to do my presentation and paper on for my Advanced Managerial Economics class that I am about to start. We need to do our project on a managerial problem that is significant enough to devote resources to answering. We also need to determine the data that would be necessary to apply the proposed analysis. We need to be prepared to discuss our topic and rationale in class for consideration of approval or disapproval by the instructor.


What are some ideas you have for this? Managerial econ involves using economic concepts like theory of consumer demand and theory of the firm, and quantitative methods like numerical analysis, statistical estimation or forecasting procedures to solve management decision problems.
I don't believe in MBAs.

I would never hire an MBA. That would be like hiring a surgeon who had never performed surgery.

You need a topic, first, before you do anything.

Pick Obamacare.

That would include everything you mentioned.

Obamacare will require you to pay more for your employee health plan coverage. That will increase your cost-per-unit/item. In order to maintain your profit margin, you may have to raise prices. You cannot raise prices if your product is elastic. You may have to bring in an industrial engineer to see if your manufacturing or production methods can be streamlined to allow you to fire/terminate employees to reduce your cost-per-unit/item.

Theoretically...

Mircea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2013, 07:30 PM
Status: "My eyes are rolled back so far I can see my brain." (set 10 days ago)
 
Location: Here.
13,365 posts, read 11,871,000 times
Reputation: 15699
How about: The negative consequences of having a company be run by MBAs instead of people who really know the business. Emphasis on comparisons between the education/experience background of foreign executives to American executives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2013, 05:01 PM
 
17,158 posts, read 22,161,261 times
Reputation: 31223
do it on "the profit motive" cornerstone of a capitalist economy

define the incentive/reward structure of a capitalist society,

and why having 30% of the population on welfare is undermining the whole system, based on 50% fraud

or

"why minimum wage should be called starting wage"

minimum wage is not meant to live on,,,it is a foot in the door position, then based on merit and performance,,,you earn you,,advance

also show the negative effects of raising the minimum wage to businesses

or

do an analysis, on "welfare wage"
tally up all the welfare/entitlements a single mother can get, and correlate that to a minimum wage/or replacement earnings of what she would have to make to equal all the entitlements

"welfare minimum income" replacement
"why it is easier to stay on welfare, than to enter the work force"


or,

do a profile of why so many companies go overseas for production...compare taxes, hourly rates, regulations

or

"what happens when the dollar is no longer the worlds' currency"? (this is scary)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top